WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Boiling Springs, Pa.

Be sure to visit the actual "boiling springs" that gives the town it's name. It's quite a site to see thousands of gallons of water per minute bubbling out of the ground.

I used to live in Boiling Springs besides the Yellow Breeches Creek. It is a great community. When you hit town, stop by Anile's Ristorante & Pizzaria at 6 Front Street for some awesome pizza pie. Their phone number was 258-5070. Anile and his son don't scrimp on the toppings. Rock on!

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

Boiling Springs was a nice sleepy little place. Practically everything was closed when we got there early in the morning, but we did get to feed the (miilions?) of ducks in the town center pond. Theer is an AT center here too, where you can us a phone, a real bathroom and a hose out back for water.
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Arrow AT Trail Center

For whatever reasons, I think only Damascus beats this little hamlet out for best town ON the AT.

The trail center is open weekdays year round and weekends thru the summer. Full of maps, books, and friendly people, try to stop in...........

Default Boiling Springs Is A Great Trail Town?

Black Cloud---

Sorry to disagree, but in something like 10 visits, I've never found Boiling Springs to be particularly noteworthy or hiker-friendly.

In terms of services:

*There are few restaurants other than the Pizzeria
    *The supermarket is a good walk from the Trail
    *The main restaurant/tavern in town is decidedly UN-friendly to hikers
    *Others services---stores,outfitters, libraries, pharmacies, banks, etc. are either inconveniently located or absent
    *There is effectively no lodging in town; there is a rather spartan "official" campsite south of town which consists of a Port-A-John and a patch of grass; water must be brought from town; it is very apparent when you visit that this is not an overtly hiker-friendly town; the town does NOTHING to attract or cater to hikers and is clearly not remotely interested in doing so
    *There are very few alternative lodging options in town
    *In ten years, I've encounted only a handful of residents that have gone out of their way to embrace the hiking community; don't get me wrong, these were GREAT folks......but there were very few of them

When I think of the other wonderful towns that the Trail goes directly through or near, such as Hot Springs, Pearisburg, Duncannon, Delaware Water Gap, Unionville, Dalton, Cheshire, and Hanover, there is simply no comparison in terms of available services and friendliness to hikers.

Comparing Boiling Springs to Damascus is therefore a pretty long stretch; other than the fact that the Trail goes right thru 'em, that's about all they have in common

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    *The main restaurant/tavern in town is decidedly UN-friendly to hikers
    Is this the one in the old building just to the left of the pond? On a section hike, I ate in the bar and found the bartender to be very pleasant and helpful. Perhaps it's another story in the main dining room, but the biggest problem I had was hauling my butt off the bar stool.
    Frosty

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default Baltimore Jack

sounds like a business opportunity in Boiling Springs for someone who might like to live there?????

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Is this the one in the old building just to the left of the pond? On a section hike, I ate in the bar and found the bartender to be very pleasant and helpful. Perhaps it's another story in the main dining room, but the biggest problem I had was hauling my butt off the bar stool.
    Are you referring to the Boiling Springs Tavern, in the old stone building right across the street from the lake, on the same street as the ATC Office and the Post Office? We've dined at the bar half a dozen times after hikes, and had the same experience you had - very friendly, no one seemed to care that we looked ratty or hung around for 8 or 9 rounds. The dining room is kind of upscale, and hikers would probably be discouraged from eating there.

From a non-thru hiker's perspective: Almost all of my AT experience is in PA. If Boiling Springs is comparable to Damascus, Damascus will be a letdown when I finally get there. Compared to Duncannon and Port Clinton, BS has never felt like a trail town to me. The general impression I get is that folks in Boiling Springs are just apathetic about the AT and hikers.

Never had a bad experience there, but no one on their front porch in BS has ever offered me an ice tea as I walked by on a hot day, as has happened several times in Duncannon.

I loved Boiling Springs. I did not particularly care for Duncannon. IMO, unless you drink alcohol (which I do not - haven't in 20 years), I don't see what Duncannon has to offer other than food, resupply and a laundry. I found the whole scene at the Doyle to be pretty sad. Many locals were loaded to the gills, and the Doyle's new owner, a lovely young woman, had her father doing crowd control at the bar. He certainly had his hands full as I witnessed several near fights. He nearly got his clock cleaned. Of course, I only spent one night there back in 2000. I did not encounter any friendly locals, although, as demonstrated by posters like Mary on this site, there is certainly a community of folks who like hikers in Duncannon. Thank you Mary.

Boiling Springs was IMO great. Yes, the supermarket is a good walk, and no, no one picked me up while I hitched there. On my way back from the market, I met an elderly gentlemen who was sitting in a chair in his front yard. We chatted for several hours about god, war, Joe Paterno (considered god by many in PA), and all kinds of things. For me, it was one of the highlights of the trip. I also had some great ice cream in town. I recall that the P.O. is just off of the trail. The then Manager of the ATC office offered (without me asking) to slackpack me to Scott Farm. It was an offer I refused, and considering the 95+ degree heat, I got a bit of a funny look. I was certainly grateful for the offer, and expressed my gratitude.

The valley walk north of Duncannon is where I experienced my epiphany. It was an awesome experience, and I still get glassy eyed when I pass by that area on I81 heading north or south.

Anyway, that's my perspective. I'm certain everyone's experience is different. BTW, speaking of the Doyle, the new owner seemed intent on cleaning the place up. I hope she was able to. My room was downright scary. As I recall, the walls were oozing.
    Has she made any progress on that front?

Little Bear
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

GAME 2000
    Images

I enjoyed Boiling Springs... the good food and pleasant scenery. Of course, I was just a humble thru-hiker and didn't expect to be treated like anything else. Sometimes the problem is not how we are treated, but in how we expect to be treated.

Youngblood

Default Doyle web page

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    BTW, speaking of the Doyle, the new owner seemed intent on cleaning the place up. I hope she was able to....
    Has she made any progress on that front?

Little Bear
    Let me answeer my own question. The Doyle has an interesting website that includes photos of thru-hikers. They talk about cleaning the place up, and even buying new beds.

Here's a link to the web page;

http://www.doylehotel.com/_wsn/page2.html
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

The Doyle is in the process of being renovated and restored, and while it's a work in progress, great improvements have been made.

The new owners are wonderful people who deserve our patronage and support, as well as our thanks for keeping the Doyle going, and going so well.

I have stayed in the Doyle 4 times over the years and this year it was clean and the bed was new. For the money, in my opinion, there is no better commercial place to stay on the AT. The history alone is worth it.

Default The Doyle

So they've gotten rid of the corpses, Jack?

I'm frustrated right now that I can't remember where I stayed in Boiling Springs, but it was a lovely home/hostel. The name escapes me. Is that no longer there? I stayed there for three nights, dealing with a bad foot, and went out a few times with a local girl. So I remember BS very fondly, if not in great detail.

Default Mother Hen?

On my 2000 hike, in Boiling Springs I stayed with a lady who went by the name Mother Hen. She let hikers stay in her basement. She was really nice, she fed me and took me to a grocery store. I think I heard later her neighbors were giving her trouble about taking care of hikers. Anybody know if she is still around?
    Cedar Tree

I'd like very much to agree with Jack Tarlin. During my section hike this year (PenMar Park to DWG), May 29 to June 15th, I did a 22 mile hike in the rain to get to Boiling Springs. My first stop was at the AT Regional Office. To my dismay, I found the workers there to be unknowledgeable, impersonal, and basically rude. Other than the food at Anile's, I found nothing enjoyable in town. On the other end of the spectrum, I found everyone in Duncannon to be extremely friendly and helpful. Trailangel Mary is truly an angel by BP'in standards. Vickie and Pat were great hosts at the Doyle and the trail angel who took us to the outfitter in Harrisburg and to the market was one of the finest ladies along the trail. In general, I found the populations of Duncannon, Port Clinton and Palmerton to be much friendlier and helpful than those in Boiling Springs. Just my opinion.
    Steppin' out.................:)

Default Mother Hen

That's the place. I remember at the time (also 2000) that her neighbors weren't too impressed. That's the kind of place that I could easily see disappearing as a combination of that and disconsiderate hikers. People definitely took advantage of the situation (drinking, noise, etc.)

Images

Smile finished our section in Boiling Springs

This summer my wife and I finished up our section hike in Boiling Springs. After we got to our car the first stop was at the community swimming pool. There, for 1 dollar each, they let us use the showers and swimming pool. What a pleasure ! Then the next stop was just up the road at Anile's Ristorante & Pizzaria.

Images

Default Surrounding area

Albeit, I am from around Boiling Springs, as a matter of fact I am from Carlisle just up the road.
    I have worked at the ATC there greeting the wave of hikers coming through and I have taken many to the Karn's supermarket up the street and into my town of Carlisle. I have to admit it is a great little town but as far as hiking amenities it does lack some but is a great place to stop, pick up supplies and mail and possibly yogi a slack pack from one of the volunteers there on the weekend.... I am always a sucker for that!
    Next time you are there or passing through make sure you get a ride to the Bonanza Steak House in Carlisle for the ayce spread for $8. We also have a Wal-Mart Super Center there as well as a few laundry facilities.

With that said when most hikers hit the ATC they are very focused on crossing the Cumberland Valley so the next day they are at the Doyle. When you come into Boiling Springs your only options for camping are at the designated campsite and yes it is close to an active rail road track. Other than that you will pay dearly to stay at one of the B&Bs....
    May you have warm words on a cold evening,
    a full moon on a dark night, and the road downhill all the way to your door.

An Irish Blessing

Default Mother Hen

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Tree
    On my 2000 hike, in Boiling Springs I stayed with a lady who went by the name Mother Hen. She let hikers stay in her basement. She was really nice, she fed me and took me to a grocery store. I think I heard later her neighbors were giving her trouble about taking care of hikers. Anybody know if she is still around?
    Cedar Tree
    I enjoyed my stay with Mother Hen in 2001.

I had an email or two from Mother Hen a year or two ago. To make a long story short, things got out of hand too often. Neighbors complained. Finally the country stepped in and said if she was going to have hikers staying over that the place would need to get licensed and permits and all that. It would have cost several thousand. So, she no longer opens her doors to hikers coming thru Boiling Springs. Too bad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++