WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Inexpensive mitten

looking for 3 season inexpensive mittens?

Three season as in Fall, Winter, Spring? Need to be waterproof? Water resistant? Wind resistant? Price point?

I like OR PL400 mitts.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    I like OR PL400 mitts.
    I like mine, too. My mittens run the Gamut from simple fleece mittens I made, to simple fleece mittens I bought, to OR Alti mitts
    And some mitten shells that I wear over gloves or glove liners.

Ye olde wool sock.

Bread bags..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inexpensive and winter can be miserable to lethal.
    Dollar General
    Dollar Tree
    Family Dollar
    Fred’s
    Target
    Walmart
    Synthetic material will be the least expensive.
    Wool will be warmer.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by billisnice View Post
    looking for 3 season inexpensive mittens?
    You need to be more specific in what you are looking for. What type of use are you intending (day hiking, weekends, or longer term), what level of use is expected (using with poles or to scramble over rocks/downfalls to protect hands), what type of precipitation are you anticipating (rain, snow, sleet, drizzle)? There are mittens that can provide simple warmth but would not survive long being used on rough surfaces, there are mittens that would survive abuse well but would likely overheat the hands in spring.
    For example, 3-season gear in the northeast would be late spring, summer, and early fall.

For this 3-season definition you may find paddle gloves to fit the bill. They fit like gloves, but do not have finger covering past the first knuckle of each finger, are made of fast drying nylon, and have padded palms that help protect hands from wet treking poles and climbing over rocks and other abrasive surfaces. These gloves keep the hand and fingers warm without losing dexterity and can fit into a mitten if necessary when temperatures drop below 30 degrees.

If winter is one of the three seasons you are looking for, there are few fall, winter, spring mitten products that would pass the cold weather test with the variety of precipitation that can occur. I would suggest specific season mittens (and outerwear) designed for winter use.

Pl400 are an inexpensive mitten at $ 20 on sale ?

Thom

Images

I like ragg wool mittens like these: https://www.amazon.com/Fox-River-Med...l+ragg+mittens
    Plus the cheapest thinnest polypropylene liner gloves inside them.
    I'll use this combo from temps where you barely need a glove to pretty cold New England winter, so long as it is not below 10-20F and windy or wet.
    If it is windy or wet, a goretex overmitten is good, but they are not cheap.
    Boiled wool Dachstein mitts are great but only for very cold -- too warm for most of the New England winter:
    http://www.sweatersintl.com/woolmittens.html (on sale now for $27.45 + 2.50 shipping, a great price).

Look for army surplus mittens. Separate wool liner and shell. The trigger finger is a bonus for many things besides shooting. $10-$20 more or less.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Look for army surplus mittens. Separate wool liner and shell. The trigger finger is a bonus for many things besides shooting. $10-$20 more or less.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Tr...97.m4902.l9144

Yes, that is them.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Boiled wool Dachstein mitts are great but only for very cold -- too warm for most of the New England winter:
    http://www.sweatersintl.com/woolmittens.html (on sale now for $27.45 + 2.50 shipping, a great price).
    Interesting!
    Named after the local highest mountain here, propably made around the corner, but its hard to get them in local shops nowadays and the price on the homepage you linked is lower than what we could buy them.
    Anyway, if this is the real old-school product, it's highly recommended.

I routinely use similar mitts and gloves my wife is knitting, from a mixed sheep and dog wool.

Trigger mittens. Way than using a spare set of socks.

Another wool alternative - After a couple Iceland summer hikes with daily rain and 40 - 60 F temps, I went to Icelandic wool mittens like the guides used. Not cheap or heavy use durable but if not soaked are warm into the teens.

https://www.nordicstore.net/collecti...-mittens-brown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is something special with the Boiled Wool Dachstein Mitts:
    After the knitting done, they are "boiled" at a temperature that lets the wool shrink a bit.
    This way they are a bit more windproof and can stand a bit more mechanical wear than standard knitted mitts.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Interesting!
    Named after the local highest mountain here, propably made around the corner, but its hard to get them in local shops nowadays and the price on the homepage you linked is lower than what we could buy them.
    Anyway, if this is the real old-school product, it's highly recommended.

I routinely use similar mitts and gloves my wife is knitting, from a mixed sheep and dog wool.
    I've ordered some Dachstein mitts and a hat from Sweaters International; I'll post whether they are as good as the old school Dachsteins. Ortovox does import the ones I have now to the USA again, but they are more expensive.

Bronk, I had an alpaca sweater that I got in Peru for $5. It was very warm for its weight but only if wearing a windbreaker over it. If the alpaca mittens are anything like that, they would be worthless unless wearing overmitts. Lots of fleece is like that also -- good insulation but wind passes right through, only warm with wind protection over it (though windblock fleece works well in wind).

I bought Marine surplus mittens, to meet budget. Since these were used, I felt the pair was inexpensive for the utility offered. You may find the price exorbitant.
    USMC OR Firebrand Mitts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++