WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hammock Gear Burrow 20 Long term review

I purchased a Hammock Gear Burrow 20 in January of 2016, so I have had it for 2 years of hiking on multiple long trails. My girlfriend also has a Burrow 20 that she has used for 2 years. We also both have the 40 degree (+1 oz overstuff) version of this quilt that we bought in 2014. We are both under 5'7" tall with slender builds and we went with the short version. We both opted for the sewn in foot box. Weights on each quilt is 16.5 oz and 16.6 oz. Both the inner and outer shell fabric is made of Argon 67. The price on each bag was $249 + $10 s&h. I am a normal temperature sleeper and MtnGoat sleeps cold.

2016 Colorado Trail (mid-July through early August):
    Night time temperatures were between 25 and 40 degrees depending on the elevation. In general the nights were windy and cold. We slept in a Fly Creek UL 2, so we had the added warmth of a tent. There was a lot of wind, fog and a few nights of heavy frost. In these conditions we were really happy with the Burrow 20. We never slept cold and the bag did an excellent job of maintaining loft through damp conditions.

2017 Long Trail (mid-September through early October):
    Night time temperatures were between 30 and 55 degrees. We carried a Fly Creek UL 2, but never set it up...we slept in the shelters every night. The nights were really humid and the air stayed damp. The bags kept their loft and we were never cold even in the drafty shelters.

We are planning to use these bags on the JMT in 2018.

I will stress here that MtnGoat is a pretty cold sleeper and she has never been cold in this quilt. We were sleeping in Patagonia base layers (cap 2 bottom and cap 4 hoodie top). We have both been extremely happy with these quilts and I feel the price is more than fair. The quality of construction is excellent and all 4 of our Burrows are holding up great. These quilts are literally one of our favorite pieces of gear.

I just thought I would do a quick review of this quilt because there are hardly any reviews or discussions about it.

Good info! Thanks!

love mine - have approx 100 nights in it looks and sleeps like new

Thanks for sharing. Used mine on a quick overnighter just a few days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hung-over. Spent way too much time trying to figure out how you hung two hammocks inside a fly creek!

Great report, I hope my EE holds up as well.

Thanks for the review. I just ordered a UGQ Bandit quilt. Hope it preforms as well as your HG quilt.

Just curios, what kind of bottom insulation were you using? Were you using straps to attach it to a sleeping pad?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeVogel View Post
    Thanks for the review. I just ordered a UGQ Bandit quilt. Hope it preforms as well as your HG quilt.

Just curios, what kind of bottom insulation were you using? Were you using straps to attach it to a sleeping pad?
    I used a thermarest prolite 3/4 (1 inch thick) for my torso and a Gossamer Gear 1/8 pad for my feet (it may have been Arrowhead equipment brand). I did not use any straps to hold my bag in place. I just tucked it around me. It takes a little practice to turn over and not let the heat escape but after about 3 nights I was really good at it.

I can second hipbone’s method for rolling over but I am smaller in the shoulders so I can move around even more freely with less tucking than him. I am a wiggly sleeper and I haven’t had any trouble losing heat. Especially in a tent but even in the shelter it was never a problem or did I feel like I needed some kind of straps to go around my sleeping pad.

I have used both the 3/4 thermarest prolite and the 1/8 in foot pad. I am going to upgrade the foot pad to a cut down z rest that replaces the foam pad and becomes a “frame”-ish for my Ohm 2.0. This is really more for comfort though because the 1/8” arrowhead eq foot pad is a bit less padding for the heels. However, I think this is a totally a personal preference.

I have never slept cold in the burrow 20 or even been woken up from a chill. I haven’t pushed it below 25 degrees in a shelter but I have definitely experienced 25 degree night on top of snow and ice in a tent and I was warm all night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I assume you got the wide (55 inch) width.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    I assume you got the wide (55 inch) width.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    I am 5 ft 6 inch and slender build. I got the regular width. MtnGoat is a lot slimmer than me and she got the regular also. I'll say again that we are pretty small people

Quote Originally Posted by JoeVogel View Post

You won't be upset with your UGQ. I slept in my 20 degree bandit in a shelter that got just under 20 with the wind blowing hard and it was 100% humidity. The only thing I didn't like about it was crawling out of it in the morning.

Thanks for the great review.

I just got a 20* burrow and incubator appear very well made....looking forward to testing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++