WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    You should peruse the forums at hammock forums dot net.

Hammocking is not easy for UL because of the various components you mention. Every part, I suspect, requires little more fabric than ground-dwelling, plus suspension. I'm not sure ENO is a UL hammock, but given your 220 lb weight and the prospect of a small dog too (I do know someone who does sleep with a small dog in a hammock), you may be wise to stick with it or something as robust to weight and claws.

Perhaps someone will let you borrow first, so you can see if it's really for you.
    Or, as most hangers with dogs do especially larger breeds let the dog sleep under or outside the hammock. Erect a small UL tarp, ground cloth, and perhaps some insulation for the dog separately. Where does the JRT lay when you're rockin the Duomid?

You can take whatever shelter path you want although perhaps it best to have a variety of shelter options depending on weather the JRT and/or son(he looks just like you) are along, lowest temps, etc.

Never slept in a hammock with a dog on a backpacking trip. I suspect I wouldn't want to with a active twitchy chaser high energy aggressive possessive breed like a JRT. Does your JRT like to dig? How would you handle the JRT's nighttime constitutional while in a hammock? Usually you can't allow them off leash in the open woods as they are super curious aggressive chasers of everything they see and hear.

You might begin by looking at Dutch's Chameleon, Dream Hammocks, and Hennessey Explorer Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Or, as most hangers with dogs do especially larger breeds let the dog sleep under or outside the hammock. Erect a small UL tarp, ground cloth, and perhaps some insulation for the dog separately. Where does the JRT lay when you're rockin the Duomid?

You can take whatever shelter path you want although perhaps it best to have a variety of shelter options depending on weather the JRT and/or son(he looks just like you) are along, lowest temps, etc.

Never slept in a hammock with a dog on a backpacking trip. I suspect I wouldn't want to with a active twitchy chaser high energy aggressive possessive breed like a JRT. Does your JRT like to dig? How would you handle the JRT's nighttime constitutional while in a hammock? Usually you can't allow them off leash in the open woods as they are super curious aggressive chasers of everything they see and hear.

You might begin by looking at Dutch's Chameleon, Dream Hammocks, and Hennessey Explorer Series.
    Forgot I posted this....planning to order a chameleon wide in 1.6 on Monday.....pup sleeps next to me in the duomid on a cut down zlite. He’s usually ready to hit the sack by time the mid is set up as he gets cold when we stop. I simply put him in his lil down bag and zip him up. He’s not much of a digger..thank god. So far haven’t had any issues with him popping zlite so figure hammock would be ok. He does fine off leash but just few weeks ago he did go after a flock of wild turkeys in Ocala NF glad wasn’t a bear. Just trying to figure out the whole suspension thing now......trying to keep it as simple and light as possible. I’m planning to keep the mid for when my son goes or out west. Hoping to get the wife to do the TMB this summer where I’d also take the mid. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Forgot I posted this....planning to order a chameleon wide in 1.6 on Monday.....pup sleeps next to me in the duomid on a cut down zlite. He’s usually ready to hit the sack by time the mid is set up as he gets cold when we stop. I simply put him in his lil down bag and zip him up. He’s not much of a digger..thank god. So far haven’t had any issues with him popping zlite so figure hammock would be ok. He does fine off leash but just few weeks ago he did go after a flock of wild turkeys in Ocala NF glad wasn’t a bear. Just trying to figure out the whole suspension thing now......trying to keep it as simple and light as possible. I’m planning to keep the mid for when my son goes or out west. Hoping to get the wife to do the TMB this summer where I’d also take the mid. Thx

Zlite

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++