WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sorry to hear you are dealing with this. Anxiety while hiking is hard. From experience, here's my take on how to deal with it.

What didn't work:
    - Taking anti-anxiety medications. Being on meds and in the wilderness is not good and can worsen anxiety in some circumstances.
    - Green "herbal" medications. This is hit or miss because it depends on what strain you get. If you spend some time getting to know what you like, it will probably help more.
    - Lavender. Some people swear by the effects of lavender. It did not work for me.

What worked:
    - Meditation. Meditation is great if you can build a habit out of it. It took me around 8 weeks to let the monkey mind settle down and, once it did, the peacefulness extended beyond the
    - Vitamin supplementation. I was surprised that vitamin supplementation helped me feel more relaxed. I do get a Myers' cocktail (IV) regularly which has tremendous effects for me but obviously that's not something you can do in the wilderness. While the IV vitamin injections have been good, taking a quality B complex supplement is a real boost when I cannot get an IV. B12 is something to try out before you go hiking because it can cause anxiety in some people.
    - Regular exercise. While you get some exercise on hikes, getting regular exercise seemed to soften some of the lows.
    - Cut out as much sugar as possible. It's in everything, unfortunately, and you have to be vigilant.

Please don't take this as medical advice

Does your anxiety come along with obsessive, anxious, and ruminating thinking? Mine does.

It helps to be aware of when you are thinking obsessively about something while hiking. I have to be consciously aware of when i am doing it to myself, force myself to actively think about something more positive. Psychoanalysis, as previously mentioned, seems to help.

Some of my solo-hiking anxiety comes from sleeping alone outdoors. Not sure if you live in a legalized state, but indica gummies have become a backpacking must-have for me. Knocks me out ever-so-peacefully. Doesn't carry the morning sluggishness of benadryl, OTC sleep-aids, or alcohol.

L-Theanine, B6, larger asst of B vitamins, GABA, 5-HTP, Ashwaganda, lavender, Holy Basil, chamomile, Lemon Balm, passion flower, eleuthero root extract, valerian root...

These can be had in teas, essential oils, supplements individually or stress/anti anxiety formulas

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by klech View Post
    Hey, y'all. I'm gearing up for my first solo hikes- nothing too big, probably just a few overnight trips when it gets warmer- and while I'm super excited to get out on the trail, I'm also terrified. I have an anxiety disorder, and while I really want to get out on the trail, worries about what can happen have been my own worst enemy. Reading up on how to stay safe on the trail has been my go to, but knowing what to do hasn't really helped with relieving the what-ifs and worst case scenarios that my mind so helpfully supplies. Any suggestions?
    Well, i got news for you . You are going to die. Yup, 100% certainty.
    Why are you so hung up on when and how? NONE of it is likely in your control.

If your choices were clear-cut. Either go hiking and Die in accident on the trail, or stay home and die tomorrow in car accident, which would you prefer?

You arent really in control of any thing that happens to you. Nope. Your not. Despite what you have fooled yourself into believing.

So, relax and just enjoy doing something.

By the way being on the trail is generally safer than being at home anyway.

i Have had problems with depression and anxiety and have come to love hiking for the sense of freedom and empowerment over my little life which it gives me. Definitely consider nutrition and vitamin supplements to help regulate your neurotransmitters and hormonal reactions to stressors. An interesting theory is that a primal diet may offer great help. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gnGlzg1vzao

Following this diet strictly at first, and now about 90% of the time has helped me physically and mentally. It’s worth a look see at any rate. Lot of info and science and meta studies involved. Primal Body, Primal Mind is an interesting read. Most libraries carry it, or you can get it from amazon.

Wish you the best!

Journal Entries
    Images

Post deleated.
    Last edited by rickb; 02-14-2018 at 14:32.

Quote Originally Posted by klech View Post
    Hey, y'all. I'm gearing up for my first solo hikes- nothing too big, probably just a few overnight trips when it gets warmer- and while I'm super excited to get out on the trail, I'm also terrified. I have an anxiety disorder, and while I really want to get out on the trail, worries about what can happen have been my own worst enemy. Reading up on how to stay safe on the trail has been my go to, but knowing what to do hasn't really helped with relieving the what-ifs and worst case scenarios that my mind so helpfully supplies. Any suggestions?
    What has your medical professional recommended?

DO that.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post

DO that.
    Good point.

General thoughts and stream of conscious posts like mine might not be applicable in any way to one with a diagnosed disorder. Or for anyone, really

Best of luck with the challenges ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post

DO that.
    Only after doing further research, getting other opinions, discussing the recommendations, asking questions in accordance to you specifically, ...Duh, one might say. What seems common sense isn't so common. One health care professional or a room full doesn't entail infallibility either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Only after doing further research, getting other opinions, discussing the recommendations, asking questions in accordance to you specifically, ...Duh, one might say. What seems common sense isn't so common. One health care professional or a room full doesn't entail infallibility either.
    Exactly! Different docs have different backgrounds and opinions, and like every other specialty, some are better than others. Unfortunately healthcare has become so expensive that now second and third opinions can be cost prohibitive for many. Educate yourself and find the treatments or lifestyle changes that work for YOU!

Being outside is great “medicine” for most, and nutrition is often overlooked. Treat yourself as you would a fine racehorse - the best nutrition, exercise and medical care for the best results.

Best to you

Just find a hiking partner, stay out of trouble. You WON'T be able to say what can happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++