WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by nosuchthingaslost View Post
    Well originally, I wanted to do state line to state line in NY (the entire 90-mile section), but then everyone around me started telling me I was an idiot for thinking I could do something like that in 6 or 7 months’ time. So I shortened it and thought maybe I could start/end in the Pawling and Warwick areas. There seems to be good transportation/bus options for getting to and from those start and end points. But really, nothing is decided yet, I’m still reading and thinking and getting advice.
    Do any of these people telling you this have ANY experience hiking? I'm going to wager "no". How much advice you take from people completely ignorant on the subject matter is up to you but IMO your goal is not only achievable but is easily achievable.

When I started the AT 4 years ago, I had done a decent amount of day hiking out west carrying only a camel pack and some snacks. I had car camped but never overnight hiked where I had to carry everything. I did a decent amount of research online especially in what to bring / not bring and what gear to buy since I had none. I bought the gear I thought was reasonable, loaded it up, went to a large state park area an hour away, parked my vehicle, and did an overnight out and back shakedown. I think I walked about 14 miles with all my gear, made camp, didn't sleep worth a damn, got up the next morning and hiked back to my vehicle. I took notes and made some gear adjustments and after that one night shakedown, I booked a stay near Springer and did my first section from Springer to Gattlinburg (200 miles).

What I learned on my shakedown and first section:
    - My back was KILLING my shoulders after the shakedown. I was wearing it wrong. It needed to be higher on my hips and the hip belt much tighter.
    - Trekking poles are worth it. I thought they were for old people or people with bad knees. I never used them day hiking. I was wrong. After a few days without them the downhills were brutal on my knees.
    - Footware is crucial. I swap out my socks mid day and let my feet air out at lunch.
    - Weight is a big deal. You probably don't need all the stuff you think that you do.
    - The miles aren't that hard if you are in OK shape and carrying reasonable weight. I my first trip I found that 10 miles a day leaves a lot of time for goofing off. 15 miles a day is a day of hiking with long breaks. 20 miles a day is doable if you keep at it all day, start in the woods, and sleep in the woods (no town or shuttle). This is from a mid 30s guy in decent shape.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all the awesome advice! I appreciate it and am looking forward to doing the entire 90 mile section this summer. It can be intimidating getting into something like backpacking as a rookie, but you’re all great and make me believe I can do this. Thanks!

sounds good to me

good luck on your journey

I was a completely inexperienced backpacker when I decided to buy some gear in spring of 2016. I started with a couple solo weekend hikes on the AT near me (I live near Pearisburg, VA) when I knew there would be a lot of thru-hikers passing through so I wouldn't be alone at camp. I really enjoyed them, so then in July I did a 146 mile solo section hike further up in VA, ending in Shenandoah. I was also nervous about being a young (23 at the time), novice, female solo hiker, but I had a fantastic time.

So based on my experience, I think your goal is absolutely reasonable, and you're going to have a terrific trip!

If you're interested, I wrote a blog post about my takeaway from my section hike and how I was hoping to apply it to my next big adventure, which was moving to Morocco for a job opportunity. You can read it here. And after living in Morocco for a year and a half, I just moved home to prepare for my 2018 thru-hike attempt, so beware... you might get addicted!

Quote Originally Posted by KnightErrant View Post
    I was a completely inexperienced backpacker when I decided to buy some gear in spring of 2016. I started with a couple solo weekend hikes on the AT near me (I live near Pearisburg, VA) when I knew there would be a lot of thru-hikers passing through so I wouldn't be alone at camp. I really enjoyed them, so then in July I did a 146 mile solo section hike further up in VA, ending in Shenandoah. I was also nervous about being a young (23 at the time), novice, female solo hiker, but I had a fantastic time.

So based on my experience, I think your goal is absolutely reasonable, and you're going to have a terrific trip!

If you're interested, I wrote a blog post about my takeaway from my section hike and how I was hoping to apply it to my next big adventure, which was moving to Morocco for a job opportunity. You can read it here. And after living in Morocco for a year and a half, I just moved home to prepare for my 2018 thru-hike attempt, so beware... you might get addicted!
    https://ucfknighterrant.tumblr.com/p...-before-moving

Thanks for sharing that!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++