WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post

Smartwool 250s
    Exofficio give n gos
    Nike running shorts
    Columbia convertibles
    Rain pants

I've never carried that many bottom pieces. Never needed to. The running shorts seem a little redundant but at a really low weight. They also make good sleeping shorts/extra shorts for town/laundry

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    It has been my experience for late winter/early spring on the AT that I have never needed long john bottoms. But, I have a really good sleeping bag so I have not needed anything extra for my legs at night. If it is cold when you get to camp, let your rain pants serve as an extra layer. This way they serve 2 functions. I only need long johns for hiking if temps are way below freezing (single digits and below). But as they say, YMMV.

My running shorts rec was based on your pants being non convertibles.

At some pt when it warms you might exchange the convertibles for light wt running shorts. It looks kind of weird but they can be pulled over the 250 wt SW bottoms as a back up for lower body warmth. At that time you might even drop the rain pants and go with a rain skirt if you don't want to hike bottom half drenched.

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...&pid=775592002

Anybody have any experience with old Navy's athletic stuff?

For instance check out this baselayer. $18 + and extra 20% off. They have hoodless ones too.

Think I'm going to go to a local old Navy today and see how these pieces look and feel

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-hea...ech-collection

very light weight . Inexpensive down is ok 2 . For us budget campers .

Thom

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...&pid=775592002
    Anybody have any experience with old Navy's athletic stuff?

From my experience, clothing is the one area where the "price to performance" ratio is non existent. (Socks excluded). In other words, I cannot tell the difference in a polyester tee-shirt from Target and one that I would pay 4 X as much for at the local outfitters. The same is definitely not true for gear. I have a $50 puffy coat from Lands End and a long john top bought at WalMart that I bought a decade ago. And have survived a thruhike, a 6 week backpacking trip in the UK and countless section hikes. My advice - for clothing, "cheap" is the way to go. For gear, you do get what you pay for. YMMV. The Old Navy fleece would be fine imo.

TJ max has cheep fleece. Bring a scale.

Thom

I added MLD rain mitts and the OR helium rain pants to my arsenal of backpacking equipment.

It's been a long time coming.

I got my helium ii jacket on a clearance rack for $65.. just got my pants for $80.

Happy with that. The MLD mitts were $$$$ but they're in pretty much every high mileage hikers kit so I bit the bullet.

Off the AT, these pieces should help me hike longer into the shoulder seasons as well.

On the AT.. I should be more prepared for the cold beginning and end of the hike

2x Wigwam Synthetic Running Socks
    PossumDown Socks for Sleep
    Altra Lone Peak 3.0s

Ridge Merino Boxer Briefs
    North Face Flashdry Shorts
    EMS Techwick long underwear (kinda heavy at 6oz, any recommendations for lighter?)
    Light Heart Gear Rain Pants

Hiking Shirt (recommendations?)
    100w EMS Fleece pullover 1/4zip
    Montbell Tachyon Wind Jacket
    EE Torrid Apex Hoody the
    Light Heart Gear Rain Jacket

Montbell Chameece Glove Liners
    MLD Rain Mitts

200 Fleece Beanie
    Territory Run Company Trucker
    Half Buff
    A pair of sunglasses

Going to have a 10* quilt to start. Have a 40* to switch out to if I feel the need. Sleeping in a tarptent with an xlite.

This is where my clothing list stands right now. So far really liking it but haven't been able to do to much testing here in NH. We've been getting slammed with cold and snow lately. Another 6" tomorrow.

I need a new hiking shirt and wouldn't mind changing out my long underwear bottoms to something lighter.

Any recommendations on these two pieces? Especially considering what other gear I have. I have a 250w smartwool long underwear but think the synthetic would work better on the AT. I also have a pair of 100w fleece pants I could add but don't think it's necessary.

Might potential add a long sleeve baselayer on the top as well. Plan on just using the fleece right now.

Any recommendations or input for my April 4th nobo start?

Uniqlo long johns are 4.5oz the lightest weight ones ,size large. A running shirt from TJ Max works for me. No dry sleep clothes ? My feet like wool better then synthetic. Looks like a good list.

thom

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Uniqlo long johns are 4.5oz the lightest weight ones ,size large. A running shirt from TJ Max works for me. No dry sleep clothes ? My feet like wool better then synthetic. Looks like a good list.

thom
    Thanks for the input. I really wanted to get my clothes list down to the bare essentials and then decide wether or not to add a layer or two back.

Ive been using wigwam synthetic socks for the past year instead of my darn toughs. They aren't as durable as my DT's but they actually dry overnight/in the sun. I like them and they're lighter/cooler in the summer than the DT I usually use.

If I have any problems I can just go back to my DT as they are the common light cushion hikers you find everywhere.

I could pack the shorts and bring a set of pants but I don't think I'll keep them long enough to even warrant it. Then again I need to fly down out of NH and with all the snow we've been getting itd be kinda funny walking in the airport wearing short shorts lol in 30* weather.

I know clothes is easy to swap on trail. Could do two shirts. One long sleeve one short. Or a short sleeve and a button up.

I'll check out the uniqlos. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++