WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Also, this is actually the worst section of rocks. South of Port Clinton isn't as bad as north.

Journal Entries

Thank you for the local perspective, Durunner. It's that kind of information that really helps in making a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Durunner View Post
    Also, this is actually the worst section of rocks. South of Port Clinton isn't as bad as north.
    Last couple days I have been trying to narrow down where the actual "worst rocks" are in PA. I know that Pen Mar to Duncannon there was not A rock on the trail, and was actually one of my most favorite sections so far. From DWG south to Little Gap, PA there were plenty of rocks, and I remember the everlasting reputation of the state finally lived up to its name. So I am wondering from Duncannon, to Little Gap (5 miles north of Palmerton) Where are the rough spots at. I don't really NEED to know, or care where they are at, more for day dreaming needs then anything, it'll all get walked one step at a time lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Last couple days I have been trying to narrow down where the actual "worst rocks" are in PA. I know that Pen Mar to Duncannon there was not A rock on the trail, and was actually one of my most favorite sections so far. From DWG south to Little Gap, PA there were plenty of rocks, and I remember the everlasting reputation of the state finally lived up to its name. So I am wondering from Duncannon, to Little Gap (5 miles north of Palmerton) Where are the rough spots at. I don't really NEED to know, or care where they are at, more for day dreaming needs then anything, it'll all get walked one step at a time lol
    IMO there are two spots in PA that will forever be burned into my memory. The worst is Lehigh Gap and close behind it is the Knifes Edge. Other hikers say the White Mountains are much much worse. I guess I'll find out later this year when I continue my LASH NOBO.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    IMO there are two spots in PA that will forever be burned into my memory. The worst is Lehigh Gap and close behind it is the Knifes Edge. Other hikers say the White Mountains are much much worse. I guess I'll find out later this year when I continue my LASH NOBO.
    Knife Edge nobo or sobo of Lehigh?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    NOBO for a picturesque view at the finish, you’ll see what I mean when ya get there.
    That would be my vote as well. It's cool climbing out of Lehigh Gap and coming down into DWG is awesome after days of stumbling over rocks. Of course, New Jersey near DWG has plenty of its own rocks...

Journal Entries

After looking through various scenarios, I'm leaning towards flying to Allentown, shuttle to Palmerton, hike SOBO to Port Clinton, shuttle back to Palmerton, hike NOBO to DWG, shuttle to airport. This way we get to climb out of Lehigh Gap twice! Fun, fun.

I worked out a detailed plan that gives us water and a shelter or established campsite almost every night. There's at least one night where we'll have to improvise.

We've already completed 80% of Maine and the Whites from Pinkham to Franconia, so nothing scares us anymore. A pile of rocks is just a pile of rocks. Slow down and plod along. With a smile of course. So far the worst thing about Pennsylvania was when we tried to sleep at the Backpacker's Campsite (near Boiling Springs, I think), where the TRAIN ROARED AND SCREAMED ALL NIGHT. No pile of rocks can erase that memory.

Knife Edge nobo or sobo of Lehigh?
    Knife Edge is south of Lehigh Gap. The other rocky sections that you will have is the Bake Oven Knob area, Dan's Pulpit area, just north of the 501 shelter, and last year I heard a lot of hikers complaining of a section north of Swatara Gap. If you thought there weren't any rocks south of Duncannon maybe you won't even notice this spots either.

Illabelle I would recommend doing the section northbound, not only for the view into DWG but much easier to climb up out of Lehigh Gap. Harrisburg (MDT) airport is much easier to get in and out of then Philly and is the same distance from those trailheads, but Allentown would be the best.

I'm to slow at typing. Looks like you have a great plan.

Images

You have the worst of the rock over with. The area around Lehigh will be the only section that is even noteworthy.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

I think it is funny how what you know has such an impact. My first backpacking trip was here. It is my home turf, so section hikers were complaining, while it didn't bother me. I used to trail run on these rocks. Talk about hard. Meanwhile, when I go south, I hate switchbacks. Up here some climbs can be hard, but at least they are over quicker, as we head straight up the mountain. Down south, I find switchbacks seem to never end. It bothers me mentally.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Durunner View Post
    I think it is funny how what you know has such an impact. My first backpacking trip was here. It is my home turf, so section hikers were complaining, while it didn't bother me. I used to trail run on these rocks. Talk about hard. Meanwhile, when I go south, I hate switchbacks. Up here some climbs can be hard, but at least they are over quicker, as we head straight up the mountain. Down south, I find switchbacks seem to never end. It bothers me mentally.
    You're so right. I love switchbacks!

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    You have the worst of the rock over with. The area around Lehigh will be the only section that is even noteworthy.
    If that is the case then Rocksylvania is a big crock of.....

Journal Entries

What I've heard is that the name comes from the annoying nature of Pennsylvania rocks. After a thousand miles of mountains and valleys, finally an elevation profile that suggests roller skates! Wheeeee! But the reality is disappointment and aggravation. And maybe a stubbed toe.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    NOBO for a picturesque view at the finish, you’ll see what I mean when ya get there.
    Agreed. Also Martz bus if you can't shuttle for some reason. Suggest avoiding PHL unless you have your gut set on a cheese steak fix in Philly.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    rocketsocks,
    We've already done the rest of Pennsylvania and all of New Jersey. I remember the view walking south from NJ to DWG. Despite the rocky reputation, I'll always remember Pennsylvania as picturesque. Springtime is nice because it's all green, and the water sources haven't dried up yet.

I think we'll try to use Palmerton as a resupply/shower/laundry stop. Need to spend some time analyzing my AT Guide to see which direction works best. We'd like a half-day hike on the first day, reasonable daily mileage, and good campsites with water.

I'm wondering about Lehigh Gap. I've heard it's an awful climb out of there. In my experience, awful climbs aren't much fun going down either. Maybe we'll do this in two pieces, Port Clinton to Palmerton, DWG to Palmerton. Then we don't have to climb up either way. We're so lazy.
    Personal preference, but climbing out of Lehigh Gap with a full pack did not seem that difficult. Descending in wet conditions would be more ... interesting.

Agreeing that LG and DWG are great views. Caution advised on water sources, this part of the trail borders a Superfund site and other heavily mined areas. Locals say it is not a problem any more, but filtering does not remove zinc.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by windlion View Post
    Personal preference, but climbing out of Lehigh Gap with a full pack did not seem that difficult. Descending in wet conditions would be more ... interesting.

Agreeing that LG and DWG are great views. Caution advised on water sources, this part of the trail borders a Superfund site and other heavily mined areas. Locals say it is not a problem any more, but filtering does not remove zinc.

I posted a plan update a few posts back. Current plan is to hike SOBO from Palmerton to Port Clinton, then NOBO from Palmerton to DWG. I hear you on the wet rock descent. I like adventures. I also like my skin, bones, and joints!

We carry a 1-pound First Need purifier. Zinc isn't specifically mentioned, but we'll try to drink a little less through that area.
    Website says:

• Purifier is certified to EPA Guide Standard for microbiological purifiers against bacteria, cysts and viruses; removes giardia and cryptosporidia
    • Also removes dirt, unpleasant tastes and chemicals such as pesticides and herbicides

Images

Yup........
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I posted a plan update a few posts back. Current plan is to hike SOBO from Palmerton to Port Clinton, then NOBO from Palmerton to DWG. I hear you on the wet rock descent. I like adventures. I also like my skin, bones, and joints!

We carry a 1-pound First Need purifier. Zinc isn't specifically mentioned, but we'll try to drink a little less through that area.
    Website says:

• Purifier is certified to EPA Guide Standard for microbiological purifiers against bacteria, cysts and viruses; removes giardia and cryptosporidia
    • Also removes dirt, unpleasant tastes and chemicals such as pesticides and herbicides
    Not for metallic salts. Even boiling, no use. There are also some high acid creeks, with warnings posted. Along the way, you can check out the dam/water treatment structure they are using to protect a trout stream.

As mentioned, some locals I spoke to just shrugged it off. Probably okay for short term use. Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle View Post
    ... I heard a lot of hikers complaining of a section north of Swatara Gap.
    That section north of Swarta Gap wouldn't be bad, except that several miles of trail was overgrown with poison ivy and devil's tail vine. It's hard to avoid rocks when you can't see them!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++