WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Honey Creek Loop Trail-Celebrity Hike in the Big South Fork, Tennessee

On December 2nd-3rd, 2017, I had the privilege to hike the Honey Creek Loop Trail in Big South Fork, Tennessee, with YouTube celebrities Scott Taylor and Evan Schaeffer, and Hammock Forum celebrities and legends, Roche and HangnOut. It was a great hike on a great trail with a great bunch of guys, and they made this newcomer feel welcome.

Journal Entries

The Honey Creek Loop is our mostest favoritest hike of all. We only do the western half of the loop, 'cause that's where most of the good stuff is. Probably done that loop 15-20 times by now. Always enjoyable, but it's at its best right after a good rain*, when the water in the creek is up and you have to just embrace getting wet. So many places on this trail to have fun. All the ladders, caves, stream crossings, rock climbs - yay!

*Do NOT attempt this trail before/during a heavy rain. There's a real danger of being caught in the gorge in a flash flood situation.

hey, thanks or sharing. I saw Evan's video when he posted it. That must have been about the most documented trip ever....with all those youtube cameras going! That's really funny.

I sure do wish I were closer to that place, looks like a really fun place to hike. My kids would have a blast there, and I'm hoping to get them out someplace really fun like that so they have a really fun experience with backpacking.

So is that just a one night loop hike?

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    The Honey Creek Loop is our mostest favoritest hike of all. We only do the western half of the loop, 'cause that's where most of the good stuff is. Probably done that loop 15-20 times by now. Always enjoyable, but it's at its best right after a good rain*, when the water in the creek is up and you have to just embrace getting wet. So many places on this trail to have fun. All the ladders, caves, stream crossings, rock climbs - yay!

*Do NOT attempt this trail before/during a heavy rain. There's a real danger of being caught in the gorge in a flash flood situation.
    It really was a lot of fun, I had a blast. I liked the east side too, there's a rope descent and a couple of squeezes, although you're right, the trail gets "real" after you pass the overlook going CC. The water wasn't up for our trip, I'll have to try to get back to see that!

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    hey, thanks or sharing. I saw Evan's video when he posted it. That must have been about the most documented trip ever....with all those youtube cameras going! That's really funny.

I sure do wish I were closer to that place, looks like a really fun place to hike. My kids would have a blast there, and I'm hoping to get them out someplace really fun like that so they have a really fun experience with backpacking.

It really would be a fun place for kids to hike. We talked about that a lot as we were hiking. Being young and flexible would make most of the obstacles a lot more fun lol!

All three videos have been posted now. Evan's focusses more on his decision to forgo the use of trekking poles on his upcoming AT thru attempt:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PARdo7aRcjs&t=0s

Scott's is more like mine from a different point of view, a fun watch IMO.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zebGYyuimj8&t=0s

Hey y'all we got nine inches of snow here in Marietta GA. Let that sink in... NINE INCHES, in GEORGIA! I'm 50 years old and I don't ever remember getting as much in one day. (Of course I have the part-timer's too sooooo)
    Anyway we got out and played in it. It was my grandson Elliot's (19 months) first experience with snow. I made a short little video and thought I'd share it =)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    The entire Honey Creek Loop is only about 5-and-a-half miles, so yeah, it's just a one night thing. We usually just dayhike it. Makes it easier to get through the rock squeezes without packs on. If you want to camp out, there's a campsite where the trail leaves the river (a little after the overlook, going CCW) and begins following a tributary upstream. The campsite is down a steep slope from the trail, but should be visible. We've also camped within a half-mile or so of the parking area (not the overlook, the other parking area).

Of course, there's plenty of other trails in BSF if you have time to explore. Cool stuff up near Charit Creek/Twin Arches, or up in the Kentucky end there's a place called Crack-in-the-Rock.

yeah, the loop itself is only 5 miles, but now that they've connected to the John Muir Trail, it's easier to tack on some extra miles. I highly recommend going to see Hole In The Ridge (or Needle's Eye as it's sometimes called). it's just a quick side jaunt off of the JMT up on the other side of Hurricane Ridge. Devils Den and Jakes Falls are near there, too.

IMG_0673.JPGIMG_0690.JPG

Journal Entries

Oh wow! Haven't been there yet. Going on my to do list soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashepabst View Post
    yeah, the loop itself is only 5 miles, but now that they've connected to the John Muir Trail, it's easier to tack on some extra miles. I highly recommend going to see Hole In The Ridge (or Needle's Eye as it's sometimes called). it's just a quick side jaunt off of the JMT up on the other side of Hurricane Ridge. Devils Den and Jakes Falls are near there, too.

IMG_0673.JPGIMG_0690.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Oh wow! Haven't been there yet. Going on my to do list soon!
    the side trail's pretty obvious, but let me know if you want directions.

oops, hit reply too early.... I meant to say that the side trail's obvious, but not signed

I remember a loooong time ago, maybe in the '80's. They were trying to get people interested in Big South Fork, as opposed to putting more pressure on the Smokys. They were giving away huge maps. I ended up with two. They were maybe four feet by six feet. I gave one to the fifth grade teacher at one of the schools where I worked, as she was teaching the kids to read maps. She would put the map on the floor and have the kids lie beside the map and "see" things. I've only been there a few times, but it is beautiful, and I have been amazed that you turn a corner, and there's a little arch. Another time I saw a blooming flower that I'd never seen before--a mountain camellia. THere are neat things in those woods. Enjoy.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ashepabst View Post
    the side trail's pretty obvious, but let me know if you want directions.
    Gonna study my BSF map when I get home. I read a little trip report earlier suggesting that it's accessible from the O&W bridge area. Can you confirm?

yes, coming from O&W, after the JMT climbs up from the river and crests the ridge where there's an obvious T junction. the JMT goes Left, but if you go straight instead the old road crosses a drainage and climbs back up the other side. at the top of that climb the trail comes to another obvious T junction. the trail to the Right heads North, out to the end of the ridge and dead ends at Hole in the Ridge. (the trail to the left will circle back to JMT.)

The most entertaining trail I've ever hiked...it's like an obstacle course. Go in winter and you can also dodge icicles, crawl up icy boulders, and wade in icy streams. I couldn't stop laughing and smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    The most entertaining trail I've ever hiked...it's like an obstacle course. Go in winter and you can also dodge icicles, crawl up icy boulders, and wade in icy streams. I couldn't stop laughing and smiling.
    I totally agree- the "most fun per mile" trail I've hiked so far =)

Shhhh!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++