WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Leonidas

Looks like another 103 miles on the Pinhoti is happening as well. Now if I can get the time in the fall for the last third, I will have it completed.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

New Here, Doing my first AT section hike May 16th. I am very excited and been dialing in my gear for months. Going to do the approach trail at Amicalola Falls and get feeling of what thru hiker feels like, However, I have to back to the real world around NOC, NC. Any tips are appreciated.

146/2200 pending 6.6%

Wolverine Rick

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    So why are you both on this thread reading?
    My thoughts exactly

Doing either Pen Mar to harpers Ferry or Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar in May.

Planning to start north from Del Water Gap on May 4 and keep going for a month. Wawayanda to Wildcat will be a tough day for me, suggestions appreciated!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Beautifully said.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    I have to agree.
    I have to agree too... that us section hikers should have our own forum.

My story in a nut shell...
    May 2015: attempted to flip flop thru hike starting at HF going north
    July 2015: got off the trail at Hanover NH due to a knee injury (stress fracture right knee).
    Stayed off the trail next two years
    July-August 2017: Decided to get back on the trail and completed a section hike from Newfound gap (GSMNP) to Springer Mt, including approach trail. Felt like i'm back from the dead.
    April 2018: Completed a section from Front Royal, VA to HF, WV during Spring Recess
    July - August 2018: Hope to complete my own "Virginia Challenge": 500 miles from Front Royal to Damascus in six weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    My story in a nut shell...
    May 2015: attempted to flip flop thru hike starting at HF going north
    July 2015: got off the trail at Hanover NH due to a knee injury (stress fracture right knee).
    Stayed off the trail next two years
    July-August 2017: Decided to get back on the trail and completed a section hike from Newfound gap (GSMNP) to Springer Mt, including approach trail. Felt like i'm back from the dead.
    April 2018: Completed a section from Front Royal, VA to HF, WV during Spring Recess
    July - August 2018: Hope to complete my own "Virginia Challenge": 500 miles from Front Royal to Damascus in six weeks.
    How long did Front Royal to HF take you? I’m planning the same trip for later in the year, but don’t really know how long to plan for it since it will be my first section.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingchef View Post
    How long did Front Royal to HF take you? I’m planning the same trip for later in the year, but don’t really know how long to plan for it since it will be my first section.
    Stayed at the Mountain Home B&B (highly recommended) which is right next to the trail and started hiking north the next day, Sunday April first. Arrived to Harpers Ferry Thursday afternoon. Stayed two nights at the Bears Den hostel as Wednesday was a slack packing day from Keys Gap back to the hostel (about 19-20 miles). Loved every moment, even the Virginia "Roller Coaster", even the 20 degree F temperatures at night. Enjoy.....

Default VT nobo 200 miles

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    Planning my first full week backpacking trip for this summer. All of NY or Mass, depending on when my brother and I can get time off together. Will probably go to Roan Highlands again this year because it's just beautiful and my last two trips there got cut short.
    That is a great area!

I plan to continue NOBO from where I left off last year (Cheshire, MA) for 200 miles... any input on the VT area I will cover would be appreciated! I will not start until mid-July...

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingchef View Post
    The section is, i think, 53 miles. I do, on average, 12 to 15 miles a day. You, being only 24 y/o, maybe can do more and finish your hike in 3 - 4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    The section is, i think, 53 miles. I do, on average, 12 to 15 miles a day. You, being only 24 y/o, maybe can do more and finish your hike in 3 - 4 days.
    I had been planning on 4 days for it, but I wasn’t sure if that was possible at all. Thanks for the reply!

My wife and I did Springer to Bly Gap (GA/NC Border) last year and a short SOBO hike from Deep Gap Parking Lot to Bly Gap two weeks ago so that we can start our next NOBO section from Deep Gap in May. Going from the Deep Gap parking lot to Fontana Dam for this next big section.

Last year we carried everything for the whole hike with us from day one. This year we are going to restock in Franklin, NC and in Wesser. It will be a lot better carrying 3 days of food at a time rather than 9 days of food.

Swatara Gap to Port Clinton, PA next month, Gorham, NH to Maine Route 17 in July.

Journal Entries

Still on track to fly in from Florida around May 23, 501 shelter to Bear Mountain this year, 218 miles, loving all the close resupply spots, wanting to keep my total pack weight at 30 lbs. or less. Any know if there is fuel canisters to be found near the 501, can't fly with one. Otherwise its no cook to Port Clinton.

I plan to complete a 19 mile part in SNP and then Front Royal to Harper's Ferry in July. With at least one son, this will complete Waynesburg to Harper's Ferry.

Couple of options I'm thinking of for early fall (all depending on how much time I can take off):
    Reids Gap to Rockfish Gap (pretty much a long day hike, I know, but then I'll have Tye River to Rockfish Gap done. Maybe push a little further North into SNP?)
    Harper's Ferry to Big Meadows
    Front Royal to Rockfish Gap

hiking my last section in Maine beginning in mid July

Journal Entries

2016: Springer Approach to Pearisburg, Va.
    2017: Pearisburg, Va. to NY-55 (Pawling, NY)
    2018: NY-55 Pawling NY to Katahdin, beginning 5/11....stoked!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++