WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Red Laces View Post
    Any know if there is fuel canisters to be found near the 501, can't fly with one. Otherwise its no cook to Port Clinton.
    How are you getting to the trail from the airport? If by shuttle, most of the shuttle drivers will pickup a fuel canister for you if you ask them. That's what I did last year when I flew into Roanoke and shuttled down to Marion, VA.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by u.w. View Post
    If all goes well, I hope to complete the AT this year. What I've got left is from Kent to Wentworth, and from Caratunk to Katahdin. u.w.
    You might meet me! I have run into three people from WB on the trail, so far!
    ~Einstein (only if my hair is loose... otherwise, it is in a black Pigeon Hill Brewery ball cap)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnThe Snail View Post
    Last summer got cut short for me when my knee started bothering me too much. Right now waiting to get replacement knee surgery scheduled. Hoping to be able to get back out on the trail with my daughter by this summer.
    Hope you are recovering! I have my surgery for several tears in meniscus tomorrow. Doc says I should be able to hike in August... we will see!

NY 17A to 301 this June. Its my last 50-odd miles to finish a section hike of the AT that has spanned 20 years.
    "Sea Eagle"

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    NY 17A to 301 this June. Its my last 50-odd miles to finish a section hike of the AT that has spanned 20 years.
    Debbie that is terrific! Good for you and congratulations in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you Deacon! I just hope the recent storm doesn't cause me to have to put it off. I've been planning this too long.
    "Sea Eagle"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Debbie, Nice job!!! Think of all of the great memories you have over 20 years! Enjoy, Carl.

Thanks, Carl. I"m glad I did it this way-I've had 20 years to enjoy the trail, and will continue after I"m done to revisit areas I especially liked. I've also been able to see the changes occurring over those years.
    "Sea Eagle"

Congrats Debbie. I’m headed to Harpers Ferry late June to begin my first hike on AT. Gonna head north and see how far we can make it in 10 days.

Thanks and enjoy your first AT experience.
    "Sea Eagle"

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
    2016: Springer Approach to Pearisburg, Va.
    2017: Pearisburg, Va. to NY-55 (Pawling, NY)
    2018: NY-55 Pawling NY to Katahdin, beginning 5/11....stoked!
    Bubblehead, hope to see you out there. Looking to finish this year also, starting from Glencliff, NH on 6/9.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by clwhatley26 View Post
    Congrats Debbie. I’m headed to Harpers Ferry late June to begin my first hike on AT. Gonna head north and see how far we can make it in 10 days.
    That is a GREAT WAY to DO IT! Hike your hike~

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Preliminary plan for the year is to finish VA (got 41 miles left mostly in SNP), do the last 49 miles (Eastern most) in PA and do Rangeley to Monson in ME.
    Ok, so finally got out on my first section this year. Wasn't sure how my right knee was going to hold up because I started to have trouble with it earlier this year, but it did ok. Had to brace it up for a few days, and it's sore sitting here right now. Anyway, ended up just going ahead and finishing PA, so did 90.6 miles from PA 183 to Delaware Water Gap. Ended up doing this in a odd order. I did 2 nights out from Little Gap to Delaware Water gap, then 3 nights out from Port Clinton to Little Gap, and finally day hiked 183 to Port Clinton. Had a great time for the most part.

So first off, how about them rocks? I've been hearing about the rocks for years, and wondering where in the heck they are...well I found 'em. So now I see what the deal is with the rocks. I think I was expecting miles of stuff like what one would see when you get near the top of the climb going NOBO out of Lehigh Gap (i.e. piles of medium sized loose rocks), but that's not what most of it is. Most of it is walking across flat ridge lines with stationary rocks that are pointing straight upward where there are sections of that going on for miles. At first I scratched my head as to what the big deal was (I mean I have hiked the Whites and first part of ME so I thought what could be worse), but about 3 days in I finally got it. It's just flat out mind numbing walking through the same scenery with minimal views and having to watch every single step. Plus the feet just start getting sore no matter how hard one tries to pick their way through that stuff.

At any rate, the rocks notwithstanding the hike was quite enjoyable. Had good weather most of the time where the trip was bookended by rain. The first night out it rained, but tailed off by morning. The day hike was wet and wild. A stationary front parked itself over Southern PA on Sunday, and it rained heavily during the whole hike where the trail became a creek about half way in. The climb up out of Lehigh Gap was also interesting as that was the hottest day, and by the time I was going up it those rocks had gotten heated up by the sun.

Some items of interest are I saw a lot of wild life: newts, snakes, toads, a turtle, a possum (during the middle of the day) and some deer. Also ran into the family of 8 at the Microtel in Hamburg and got to meet them. Got my first confirmed deer tick bite. That sucked, but at least I found the little b$%^ard and have him in a snack bag in my freezer. So I'll be watching for symptoms over the next few weeks.

So with PA finally done I now have 261.8 miles of the trail left consisting of 41.4 miles in VA (mostly in SNP) and 220.4 miles in ME (Rangeley to Katahdin).
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    The last few years there has been a running thread for us section hikers to post the sections they've completed or planned for the year. Most likely very few of us have completed any section hikes yet, but I bet lots of folks have been thinking about it. I know I have

This year I'm planning to hike from Rockfish Gap, VA to Front Royal, VA (basically all of SNP) in April. Hoping to get out again in the fall to hike from Front Royal, VA to Pen-Mar (with my first ever zero day in Harper's Ferry).

So let's hear it - what section hikes (AT or other trails) have you got planned for this year?
    Section hiking for me is going after the thru hikers have cleared the area. I am usually alone and the bears have already been fed and they are looking for more and the homeless have been left behind and are panhandling on the trail.
    But Seriously all 3 of those things happened to me on my latest section hike!

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    You might meet me! I have run into three people from WB on the trail, so far!
    ~Einstein (only if my hair is loose... otherwise, it is in a black Pigeon Hill Brewery ball cap)
    That'd be cool if we do. I did from Bulls Bridge, CT up to Bennington, VT this past end of May (Memorial Day week). I don't recall bumping into you? I was wearing a green bandana headband, grey/green button up shirt, short black shorts & some grey/orange Brooks Calderas, ULA Ohm & Leki poles.
    Man it was a hot (90 degree or a tad more) and humid start, but did thankfully cool down a bit in short order. Recalling some of the hikers I ran into on this one: Jawbone, Scooter, Treeline, Grits, Timezone, Happyfeet (from Switzerland), Cinnamon Girl & her husband (I don't recall his name at the moment), hmmm.... etc... I'm sure there were a few others, but I don't recall their names at the moment.
    I was surprised by how many times I hit pavement and towns in MA. I wouldn't call the section a stand out section so much, but still a good one and always good to be on trail living the good life!

Next month (July 4th week) I'll finish up Maine (Caratunk to Katahdin), and then in Sept (Labor Day week) start and finish the last remaining section (from Wentworth, NH to Bennington, VT)... Hard to believe it's at this point now... It has been one hellofa fantastic time so far, and I sure don't intend to stop... Next trail... yer on deck here in a bit...

And HUGE CONGRATS to Debbie!!!!!!!!!! OhHellz Ya - You rock!!

u.w.

Pinkham Notch New Hampshire to Grafton Notch Maine

AT train station at Pawling SB to Wawayanda SP about a month ago. 1665 miles down.

I'm headed to meet my son in a couple of weeks in mid-PA (Eckville Shelter-ish) and will go as far as 7-8 days takes us, then I plan to rejoin him in a couple of months in Maine.

HMW NOBO this Sept with my 22yoa firefighter daughter....STOKED!!!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

I am going to hike 7/26-7/30 Thursday morning to Sunday. over 20 MPD if anyone wants hang SOBO from Sam's gap.... give me a holler!
    introduced to backpacking on my 21st in the red river gorge, KY (2012)

2015 salkantay trek - Glamping

16'-17' amicalola--> Fontana dam

7 days solo on Huayhuash circuit!! 9/17

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++