WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I figure I'll do VA again, starting at Harpers Ferry towards the end of April and finishing at Marion. Then think about maybe giving the Colorado trail another go.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

All of the Maine AT section in September plus the usual weekend overnighters in the Southern Appalachians.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I hike the smokies every March/ April WITH the bubble. It is entertaining lol
    Yeah, that's cool. I like hanging out with other hikers, and tent around the shelters to do so but I also have some anti-social components to me.

I don't like having a bunch of people "on top" of me at any one point. That's what happened when I did GSMNP. I was staying in the shelters, and every shelter except 1 was beyond capacity. It was fine for a couple of nights, but by the 4th and 5th nights I was ready to be out of there. Same thing happened in the Whites when I was cooped up in Lake of the Clouds hut with like 100+ people in thick fog, I was ready to be out of there too.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Good food for thought Berserker. I enjoy meeting other hikers tremendously and had the pleasure of being the red headed step child of a fledgling trail fam last year, but having to stay in a packed shelter night after night might get old after a while.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Good food for thought Berserker. I enjoy meeting other hikers tremendously and had the pleasure of being the red headed step child of a fledgling trail fam last year, but having to stay in a packed shelter night after night might get old after a while.

For sure it does. I look at it like this. If I am forced to stay int he shelters in the GSMNP, then It will really make me appreciate my tent for the rest of the year! lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

In the midst of finishing VA. Plan to finish by March 4th. The next 100 or so miles south from Damascus end of March. Continue in TN in April and May. Vermont in May-June. Resume TN/NC in the summer. NH in September. Continue south through December.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leonidas

Starting at Hot Springs and going NOBO for ~120 miles is the current plan.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I'm planning to hike from Bland VA to Daleville VA in mid-May this year -- that will complete everything south of Daleville for me. This will be the last year I have to shoehorn a backpacking trip between work obligations -- I am retiring in February 2019. So starting in 2019 I am free to do much longer hikes if I choose. I am contemplating a SOBO thru-hike attempt in 2019 or a LASH of at least a month also starting at Katahdin. I will decide as the date gets closer.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Images

My last larger section is from Rt 4/Killington, VT to Kent, CT with 255 left in total for all sections. I hope to finish this year, but may have to split the big section it into two hikes. This may involve the first week of April for the first part. Is MA/CT reasonable for the first week of April? It appears to be a wildcard for weather. I've never hiked MA/CT in the winter or early spring.

Images

My wife and I plan to be in Maine this summer.
    Last year we finished at route 27, Stratton, so I suspect that's where we'll start this year.
    Before we decide on an end point I'll have to see how much time I can get off work.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl7 View Post
    Is MA/CT reasonable for the first week of April? It appears to be a wildcard for weather. I've never hiked MA/CT in the winter or early spring.
    Generally no. It's still winter. There may still be snow in places and where there isn't it will be mud. Best to stay away from these trails at least well into May to let them dry out. That's why I head south that time of year. It's too messy anywhere in New England.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

have plans go hike the trail in Shenandoah National Park in August. Might take the kids on some weekend trips near home too.

Glenncliff, NH to Mt Katahdin. Last 398 miles for me. Want to start mid June, worst case late June.
    Hoping all of this cold weather and snow might make the blackflies a little milder.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

I am planning to hike the 101 miles from the Humpback Mountain Picnic Area on the BRP South of Waynesboro up to Elkwallow Wayside in Shenandoah, probably sometime in April. This will finish up VA for me.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Elk Wallow (where I had to quit last year because of foot issues) SOBO to at least the James River Bridge and hopefully a few days past there in April.

Last summer got cut short for me when my knee started bothering me too much. Right now waiting to get replacement knee surgery scheduled. Hoping to be able to get back out on the trail with my daughter by this summer.

My next section is the NOC to Fontana. Then I plan to do some other sections after that as I’m not sure about moving into GSMNP. Probably skip further North, though I may decide to move on into the Smokies.

Journal Entries

Finishing the AT starting May 11. Pawling, NY TO Katahdin.

We wanted to start at Neels gap, go nobo to Dicks Creek gap. However, we can't go till June18th. Is that a bad time of year to hit that part of trail, that is, do you think it will be too hot then? is that part fairly shaded or open? Will we miss the bubble, so that we can stay at the shelters?

Quote Originally Posted by macheek View Post
    We wanted to start at Neels gap, go nobo to Dicks Creek gap. However, we can't go till June18th. Is that a bad time of year to hit that part of trail, that is, do you think it will be too hot then? is that part fairly shaded or open? Will we miss the bubble, so that we can stay at the shelters?
    I did that part in July. Didn't seem too hot to me, but I grew up in South Florida.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++