WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default 2018 Section Hikers

The last few years there has been a running thread for us section hikers to post the sections they've completed or planned for the year. Most likely very few of us have completed any section hikes yet, but I bet lots of folks have been thinking about it. I know I have

This year I'm planning to hike from Rockfish Gap, VA to Front Royal, VA (basically all of SNP) in April. Hoping to get out again in the fall to hike from Front Royal, VA to Pen-Mar (with my first ever zero day in Harper's Ferry).

So let's hear it - what section hikes (AT or other trails) have you got planned for this year?
    It's all good in the woods.

lol this is a weird thread. why would i care what OTHER people are hiking :P

I have to agree.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Now that my boots are resoled (thanks, Pennsylvania), I plan to start off with Delaware Water Gap northbound as soon as the weather in the Hudson valley starts to warm up, and step off trail when the bubble catches up to me. Salisbury, possibly?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

12 Trips to walk from Watauga Lake to Springer for Map2
    Finish PA, Mass and Vermont for Map1 in 2 trips

2018 hike plan.png
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 01-11-2018 at 12:18.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Hot Springs thru the Roan Highlands in late October...did Max Patch to Hot Springs this past October.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Preliminary plan for the year is to finish VA (got 41 miles left mostly in SNP), do the last 49 miles (Eastern most) in PA and do Rangeley to Monson in ME.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

I don’t mind reading what other people are planning only because it helps get me fired up for my own plans. Share the stoke!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    12 Trips to walk from Watauga Lake to Springer for Map2
    Finish PA, Mass and Vermont for Map1 in 2 trips
    Roan Highlands in February? BRRRR.
    It's all good in the woods.

No firm plans yet, but hope to join my son on his thru-hike for a section somewhere (probably Harper's Ferry or beyond) and meet up with another thru hiker who will be a couple of weeks ahead of my son. Lots of factors up in the air, so it's all speculative at the moment. I'm doing all I can to prepare, which means pretty much everything short of buying food.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdennis View Post
    lol this is a weird thread. why would i care what OTHER people are hiking :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    I have to agree.
    So why are you both on this thread reading?
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

I did 746 miles in 2017. That mileage is from Marion, VA to Wind Gap. In 2016 I started at Springer and made it to Marion, so my NOBO section hikes are progressing as I had planned them. This year at the end of May, I go back to Wind Gap in PA and continue NOBO. There is no firm goal this year. I would like to finish, which would mean a little over 900 miles to Katahdin, but I'm going to leave my options open and possible finish after around 500 miles. There are other things I want to do in 2018, so dedicating nearly 3 months to the AT might not be possible.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    I don’t mind reading what other people are planning only because it helps get me fired up for my own plans. Share the stoke!
    This. I think this will be a great thread to follow because I can fall into a dreary funk at this time of year, and seeing what other section hikers are planning helps keep my head in the game.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I see lots of hikers and backpackers are getting the itch now that we're in the new year, me included! First order of business is picking up my section from Winding Stair Gap and going through the Smokies...with the bubble! I like the vibe. My original plan was to hike the AT in order, but I am going to revise that plan and also begin a section from Damascus and do as much of VA as I can, and eventually join the two sections up. No use waiting for the time/money to travel hours away to another state when so much of the AT is in my backyard! I am also trying to get a Wonderland permit, and if that falls through - either do a walkup, or the Wind River High Route. Happy Trails to everyone!
    It is what it is.

Finished ALL of WV last year

Planning to finish all of MD this year and finally get to Grayson Highlands!

Very little changes being made to my kit, grateful for the help of this community and others that have helped me get dialed in!

Plans for this year include finishing up from Carvers Gap to Damascus. Also looking to do the BMT in several sections this year.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I see lots of hikers and backpackers are getting the itch now that we're in the new year, me included! First order of business is picking up my section from Winding Stair Gap and going through the Smokies...with the bubble! I like the vibe.
    Whew, good luck with that. I did the Smokies during a non-bubble time of year, and all the shelters except 1 were beyond capacity. Not trying to discourage you, but you may want to consider not hitting that area with the bubble...gonna be a ton of people in there.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Default 2018 Section Hikers

Planning my first full week backpacking trip for this summer. All of NY or Mass, depending on when my brother and I can get time off together. Will probably go to Roan Highlands again this year because it's just beautiful and my last two trips there got cut short.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

I am considering starting to knock off some of PA. Either Pen-Mar to Duncannon or DWG to Port Clinton. My other option is to SOBO all of Connecticut... With a little luck, I will do both CT and some of PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Whew, good luck with that. I did the Smokies during a non-bubble time of year, and all the shelters except 1 were beyond capacity. Not trying to discourage you, but you may want to consider not hitting that area with the bubble...gonna be a ton of people in there.

I hike the smokies every March/ April WITH the bubble. It is entertaining lol
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++