WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trail Magic

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Definitely best practice to tend to whatever you put out there.
    I was no more than 50 yards from it, fwiw

When you've just hiked 5, 10, 15, 20 miles and you get to the trailhead and there is free food, soda, beer, etc, few people who walk up on that happenstance will think its a bad idea. Matter of fact, you could probably go just about anywhere, hiking related or not and there will always be someone glad to take advantage of it. But there are also a lot of internet campers that want to philosophize about it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
    I'm a trail maintainer as well on the NET and I'm as concerned about trash on the trails as you are.
    Then you are already doing the best trail magic you can do. thank you.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Then you are already doing the best trail magic you can do. thank you.
    I second that!
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Find a stretch of trail that is in drought, and bring gallons of water to a nearest TH. I would much rather have water when I need it then a cookout when I have food I have been carrying for days in my backpack. Not saying I am going to turn down those 2 hot dogs but water is one of my favorite trail magics

-Water
    -Assortment of medicals like leuko tape wrapped around a lighter about 10 times.
    -Wet wipes/ TP replacement
    -A battery charging station
    -Maybe if you are stationed close to a town you could solicit a ride to hikers into town when you pack up at the end of the day
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 01-16-2018 at 11:35.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Find a stretch of trail that is in drought, and bring gallons of water to a nearest TH. I would much rather have water when I need it then a cookout when I have food I have been carrying for days in my backpack. Not saying I am going to turn down those 2 hot dogs but water is one of my favorite trail magics

-Water
    -Assortment of medicals like leuko tape wrapped around a lighter about 10 times.
    -Wet wipes/ TP replacement
    -A battery charging station
    -Maybe if you are stationed close to a town you could solicit a ride to hikers into town when you pack up at the end of the day
    This is some of the best advice I’ve heard on the situa...matter!

Journal Entries

It has been somewhat mentioned but plan your location carefully and time it correctly. Use the weather to your advantage. If it's raining for a few days hikers will tend to group at towns, then go when the weather breaks. If you have a section with limited shelters, hikers will tend to be there, so you can time yoru feed to their crossing if your road.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i'm a thru-hiker and not a fan of big, organized feeds
    Agreed.

You might consider offering rides to hikers. Many people would appreciate help picking up a mail drop in Danby, or a lift to the Price Chopper in Manchester Center. I prefer Bennington to Manchester or Williamstown, but I suspect I am in the minority.

Can you dig it?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
    Having section hiked from New Jersey to Katahdin over the past several years, I really enjoyed the good will of people along the way. Trail angels and trail magic always helped to make the hike more memorable.

That being said, this year, I'd like to pay that forward and plan on setting up a small hiker feed in Southern Vermont for a day in August . I'm looking for any advice that other who have done this could give me about what to serve, good locations in Southern Vermont, how many people to expect, etc. Anything that you think might be helpful.
    Thanks, Eureka.

Attachment 41583Attachment 41584
    If you are really interested in paying it forward check out the Konnarock Trail Crew.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++