WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Also don't forget the extra wear and tear on a vehicle. Constant driving on mountain backroads is much harder on a vehicle than driving elsewhere. I had a shuttle driver in GA last year tell me that a set of tires generally lasts 20k miles. Not to mention suspension and brakes and constant oil changes, etc.

Images

that is about right .. i went through three sets this year . 10000 gs for repairs . broke two struts and mounts . broke inner tie rod on the right side . two sets of rotors , at least five brake changes cause they heat up so much from the mountains it crumbles them before they wear out , gaskets all around cause your engine gets so hot from doing 500 miles a day that they crumble , oil changes every week and having a permanent mechanic that will come when beckoned so you have to keep them happy . insurance is 8 gs a year just for liability on one car . i put 60 thousand miles on this year delivering 3000 thousand hikers to their destinations and i'm going to tell you it is probably one of the hardest jobs I've done . there is a lot more to it than getting into a vehicle and dropping off hikers . you cannot make money just doing a few hikers . you have to go all out to make money or just do it cause you love hikers and the mtns and be happy making a few extra bucks . Donald " grateful " ballard

Images

oh yeah i did not add in the water pump , belts and pulleys , fuel injectors from getting bad gas at a gas station out in the middle of no where and it had water in it , new bushings all around and man the list goes on and on . the insurance is a pain in the ass also cause no big companies want to mess with little people so i had to search for awhile to find someone that would even look at us . it is hard to get it going but is completely possible if you are motivated and want it bad enough . i almost gave up last year cause i had struggled so hard to get everything lined up and my car just kept breaking and not knowing the roads and it was hard to get businesses to trust us so they would use us . i have seen in the last year numerous people come up and try doing this and realise it is not cut out for them . give it a shot and see what comes out of it . peace my friends Donald "grateful " ballard

8k for commercial auto insurance seems a little high unless there are other insurance products bundled with that. Average commercial insurance in my area for similar work, like restaurants delivering food, is from $900 to $1,200 per year.

Images

this is high risk delivering hikers on dirt roads and mtn roads . you are talking about delivering food ...

Quote Originally Posted by Thefurther View Post
    this is high risk delivering hikers on dirt roads and mtn roads . you are talking about delivering food ...
    I don't see much difference in food delivery on a daily basis in an urban environment with high traffic, but I'm not an actuary and don't know what the risk level is, what the death/injury level is, what the driving records are of paid drivers, etc. It just seems high given what similar business pays that are not seasonal.

Images

the difference is i'm delivering people and not a pizza or Chinese food . food doesn't sue if you get in a accident people do . i do not do this seasonally either this is a year round gig for me . i'm not sure why a restaurant or delivering food or whatever you are comparing it to is the way it is . all i know is what and how it is for me in the state of ga . someone asked for info and i'm trying to help them on info and what my experience has been like here in Georgia . i'm not sure why you are saying this stuff but it is all good . peace my friend ...

Pm Whiteblaze member 10K. I believe he could give you some good information.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Its more of a passion & service and hiker community thing than income.

Definitely determine your drive distance limits.
    Also make friends with the local AT club and other Shuttle Drivers within the area.
    Advertise on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefurther View Post
    you would have to be driving for them at the time which translates to them taking 60 percent of your money . you have to buy commercial insurance to cover yourself . why would a company just let you drive off clock and make money for yourself on their policy without them pocketing any money ?

I checked the Uber website. You're covered by their insurance from the time you are assigned a ride until the ride is dropped off. This sounds like it removes the need to buy insurance beyond personal. No special drivers license required. As it sounds like one isn't making much money anyway, Uber sure makes it easy to start shuttling. The downside I see (and I might be missing something) is one cannot negotiate prices. The upside is one is guaranteed payment.

It looks like its at least worth checking into.

Uber gives you 50k in coverage per person. That's not enough when you're running a commercial operation. Say you run off of a mountain road with 4 hikers. You have coverage for only 50 per person and max 100 per accident. Two guys will have to suit you for losses. I know I can't afford to pay out someone's hospital bills. With all due respect, unless you have knowledge of insurance or shuttling, this is how people get misguided info on the Internet. Also, if you are at fault and don't carry commercial, then you are going to get denied coverage on your vehicle. So best case, your customer injuries are under 50000, but you now have no vehicle, ergo no way to keep driving.

This isn't rocket science guys. You can avoid paying commercial rates but you are literally gambling on being accident free every day.

End soap box.

There was an old timer in my area that used to do shuttles "for donations" . He lived in a cheap rent and I suspect lived off a SS. He did have a van. I never knew any one directly who used his services but heard second hand that he was insistent that the donation matched his expectations. I expect he had little or no assets so he could take the risk of an accident. Lawyers make darn sure when they are suing someone that there is way to extract dollars out of the deal.

I have heard of one gambit where the driver volunteers his time and vehicle but has the hiker fill the gas tank. I still expect it would be challenged by an insurance company if the payout was large.

Seems to me some have started this osrt of business by printing out business cards and handing them out to hikers. All they have to do is answer the phone, drive out and pick whoever up.
    Some of the vehicles could not be in any way approved for commercial use.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    Seems to me some have started this osrt of business by printing out business cards and handing them out to hikers. All they have to do is answer the phone, drive out and pick whoever up.
    Some of the vehicles could not be in any way approved for commercial use.
    Well sure any business can be started like that. You could theoretically shuttle for years and never get into trouble. Or you could get into an accident and lose everything you have worked your life for Insurance is all about mitigating your risk. Do a CBA and see where it shakes out.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

By all means, get commercial insurance, and any permits required in your state/forest/NP. Unless you don't have any assets to lose in a lawsuit if you have a serious accident, in which case do so anyway to protect innocent passengers. If you file a claim and it's not a small amount of $$$, the insurance company will assign an investigator. They will uncover the fact that your were transporting people for money and thus it was a commercial transaction. They will NOT pay. They will also cancel your policy, claiming you obtained it fraudulently since you're not an individual--you are a business. Even if you get paid as a "donation" or "gas money."

By all means, clients (other than thru-hikers without a vehicle) should plan on meeting a shuttler wherever they plan to park -- and get shuttled to the start of the hike. Hiking back to one's vehicle eliminates the stress of keeping a very strict schedule to meet a shuttle driver at the end of a hike. So many things can happen during a multi-day hike to throw you ahead or behind your "schedule," and cell service in the woods is not something to be relied upon.

Journal Entries

I think shuttling on the Appalachian Trail would be fun if I was retired and looking for a little extra income. Possibly some of it under the table tax free.

I don't know how "right " some of the people I've shuttled with were actually doing it, but many of the vehicles were total pieces of crap so it didn't look like they were getting rich. If they were they were hiding it well, very very well.

I don't think I would want a bunch of dirty smelly strangers getting into my good car all the time, so I'd expect I'd buy a well running POS also to shuttle with.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-09-2018 at 02:04.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I think shuttling on the Appalachian Trail would be fun if I was retired and looking for a little extra income. Possibly some of it under the table tax free.

I don't know how "right " some of the people I've shuttled with were actually doing it, but many of the vehicles were total pieces of crap so it didn't look like they were getting rich. If they were they were hiding it well, very very well.

I don't think I would want a bunch of dirty smelly strangers getting into my good car all the time, so I'd expect I'd buy a well running POS also to shuttle with.
    Most AT shuttlers have taken that approach in the past.

A newer "breed" of shuttle providers is starting to up their game. Maybe not with fancy new vehicles but with newer model, more reliable ones. And with all the required permits, commercial insurance, etc. to be legit. Unless they have a lot of volume throughout most of the year, someone has to pay for all that so their rates are going to be higher. Those that utilize more than one driver and vehicle have those expenses as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++