Default Old Gal hiking NOBO for the first time

Hi Everyone,

Well, I'm doing it. Finally!!! I just turned 59. I've only been wanting to do this since 1977. I am leaving home on March 19, going solo. I still have stuff to get. I have been second guessing my purchases so far. I have a pack, tent, shoes. My next purchase is a sleeping bag (this week). I have a very supportive family. So, any tips, advice or tricks?

Physically, I'm healthy, no issues at all, last check was nearly perfect! Not even meds. I walk 6-8 miles, and average 800 steps on the stair master, 5 days a week. I have lots of tekgear clothes. My first question is, Will those work for a base layer?

My second question is my pack, it's a Gregory 60L Diva. I'm thinking it's too big, but what do I know?

I think I found an awesome deal on a Big Agnus Fly Creek UV 2 man for $233. Check REI, they are closeouts, I got the last one....

Thanks for reading this, it's great I found this place....

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Pendance View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Well, I'm doing it. Finally!!! I just turned 59. I've only been wanting to do this since 1977. I am leaving home on March 19, going solo. I still have stuff to get. I have been second guessing my purchases so far. I have a pack, tent, shoes. My next purchase is a sleeping bag (this week). I have a very supportive family. So, any tips, advice or tricks?

Physically, I'm healthy, no issues at all, last check was nearly perfect! Not even meds. I walk 6-8 miles, and average 800 steps on the stair master, 5 days a week. I have lots of tekgear clothes. My first question is, Will those work for a base layer?

My second question is my pack, it's a Gregory 60L Diva. I'm thinking it's too big, but what do I know?

I think I found an awesome deal on a Big Agnus Fly Creek UV 2 man for $233. Check REI, they are closeouts, I got the last one....

Thanks for reading this, it's great I found this place....
    59, you're a spring chicken!

Don't know about the base layer question, but the Fly Creek is a good choice. I had one for around two years then sold to fund another purchase. Great weight to space ratio but the front door is a pain to get into and out of and it does built condensation a bit. Ditch the pack. On Massdrop, they currently have the ULA Circuit for sale in their Ultralight group. The Circuit is one of the most popular thru hike packs for a reason, I have one and have used extensively over the past few years, and it's great. To round out your big three, opt for a quilt instead of a sleeping bag. It will save you 10-12 ounces and, although it takes a while to get the hang of, you'll love it's versatility . The Enlightened Equipment Revelation is a good, cost effective choice, but, for a bit more $$, I prefer the Enigma that's, basically, a Revelation with a sewn footbox. Massdrop had an Enigma a while back but you'll probably be gone before it comes around again. If you want to shoot the moon, get a Katabatic Gear Palisade.

While not cheap, remember, you are going to be using this gear almost constantly for the next 6 months. If you hate something and need to buy on the trail, it's gonna cost you in both $$ and hassles.

Good Luck!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Get the pack last . Then you know what volume your gear takes up. Use what you got for base layers.

thom

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    To round out your big three, opt for a quilt instead of a sleeping bag. It will save you 10-12 ounces and, although it takes a while to get the hang of, you'll love it's versatility.
    Deciding between a quilt and a sleeping bag is going to depend on your sleeping style. I can't use a quilt because I grab the covers to keep snug at the neck when I turn, which with a quilt means I'd be venting one end to the cold air and waking up immediately from the chill. For a sleeping bag you can either wear it like a sock and have it turn with you, or get one big enough so you can turn inside it. In the latter case you may have problems exhaling into the mummy's hood and getting it damp from your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Get the pack last . Then you know what volume your gear takes up. Use what you got for base layers.
    The late purchase advice is good, but you should try to narrow your choices down early so that if one of your top contenders comes on sale (President's Day is a pretty good chance) you can grab it then. I like my Granite Gear Crown 2, which is $200 now but has been on sale at $150. It's got some flexibility: 65L with the removable lid, or 60L without. As long as the pack is light enough (just over 2 lbs. for the Crown 2) additional volume doesn't hurt you. I use mine for the extra room that synthetic insulation (sleeping bag, puffy jacket, and mid-layer vest) takes up compared to down. (I've had some experience with horizontal rain and down getting soaked, and don't see the need to take that risk when the weight penalty is less than 1 pound total.) The flexibility extends to the resizable hip belt, which means I won't need to order a replacement as my spare tire disappears on the trail.

As for the base layers, it's not expensive to get some cozy fleece for sleeping. I paid a total of $23.63 (shipped) for my Weatherproof Thermafleece top and bottoms. Don't skimp on the warmth here since you'll be starting in Winter.

Maybe I'll see you on the trail. (Kind of hope not, though, because with a 3 week head start that would mean poor progress on my part. )

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Deciding between a quilt and a sleeping bag is going to depend on your sleeping style. I can't use a quilt because I grab the covers to keep snug at the neck when I turn, which with a quilt means I'd be venting one end to the cold air and waking up immediately from the chill. For a sleeping bag you can either wear it like a sock and have it turn with you, or get one big enough so you can turn inside it. In the latter case you may have problems exhaling into the mummy's hood and getting it damp from your breath.
    Thanks for the advice on the clothes. I sleep like you, so a quilt sounds like not a good option. I know I don't want a full mummy bag. I got 'stuck' in one once, and it was my first and only panic attack.

I looked at the ULA Circuit on Massdrop. I like the pack and will return the one I have. Thanks so much for your help and advice about buying gear along the way.

I have a BA Fly Creek1 and also use a ULA Circuit (also still have a Catalyst I used before that). A Thermarest Neo Xlite has been a good pad for me. While a quilt can be a lighter option for you, personally like the poster above I move too much and require a sleeping bag. So first check if a quilt works for you. That takes care of the Big Four. After that just try to minimize what else you take, as it all adds up.

I would recommend looking at the gear list of some trail journals. Also try to do multiple weekend overnight hikes to get more familiar with all your gear before you start your actual thru hike.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Congratulations on planning for your first hike. I was 65 when I started. I started at Springer Mountain and hiked to the GA/NC line. Since then, I continue hiking each spring. Where ever I left off that is where I start from the next year. I have hike alone for all but 3 years. I have met so many considerate people along the trail and on White Blaze. This year will be my 10th section and plan to hike from Thornton Gap in SNP to Harpers Ferry, WV. Harpers Ferry is considered to be the halfway point and over a 1,000 mile. Realistically, it will probably be my last hike but then you never know!

My section hikes are a maximum of 6 days. My pack is about 40 pounds fully loaded with food and a days worth of water. Some people say my pack is too heavy but I do not have a problem carrying it. My backpack adjusts so I spent time to try different setting to get it set up to fit me. I marked the back pack where the best fit was. If the backpack starts bothering me, I know an adjustment slipped. So I reset to the marks and all is ok.

Enjoy your hike

You go gal!

a pack that that is a little too big is better than too small. You need a well fitting pack for comfort, and your choice has great reviews. Every piece of equipment has pros and cons, read and sift for what’s best for you.

I personally like a blow up mattress as I generally side sleep. I would get down booties as I tend to have cold feet. I love my cresta wool midweight base layer, but they are a bit heavy. A good rain, wind blocker top is essential in my opinion for at least the start of your trip, that cold wind along ridge lines can be brutal in early season. I have a north face rain jacket and marmot rain pants, both about 10 years old, but paired with the cresta base layer and a down vest I never got cold in February hiking. The pit zips on my rain jacket really helped temp regulation. I have wool gloves and rain mits which I would recommend. Now I have only sectioned, but have done many early season in north Georgia. Sun lotion for me as it is very bright before leaves come out and I burn.

I agree, don’t scrimp on your tent as it will make a huge difference in your overall experience. A couple nights not in a hotel room will make up the diffence in a tent upgrade. I have a rainbow tarp tent, better options out there now but mine still works great so I won’t be replacing yet.

review other folks gear lists and comments for newer info. I envy your trip! Best to you.

good for you! I am 65 and have thru hiked twice. A couple of things for thought. you are 59, stick with the Diva. I is a great pack and you dont have to pack it full but there are a few things that you might take for personal comfort that the Diva will handle the extra weight without a problem, good suspension. Trust me, your personal comfort is everything as you get older. I could hike with an 18 pound pack when i was young but not now. My thru hike pack weight is 30 pound but one of my "comfort" items is a liter of whiskey. You might want to find a light weight chair, makes resting and camp alot more comfortable. I use a quilt now and love it but you can do the same with your sleeping bag, just unzip it, open it up and put your feet in the foot box and pull it over you. Much more important it warmth. I started my first hike on March 25 with a 20* synthetic bag and was cold 2-3 nights. Started with a 0* down bag my second hike and was far more comfortable and I'll never go back to synthetic. Down is so much more comfortable. You can always change to a lighter bag after the Greyson Highlands and then have the heavier, lower temp bag sent back to you before the Whites. I DEFINITELY believe in the two bag system. 0* and 20* or 32* for mid May to end of August. Plus by unzipping and using it as a quilt, you can open up to vent if too hot in the summer. I would a base layer of wool, "puffy" for warmth, and a rain jacket. The rest as you deem reliable for your comfort. Remember, you have family ate home as a support system, YOU DONT HAVE TO CARRY EVERYTHING AT ONE TIME! Send items back an forth as conditions change.

++ New Posts ++