WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Late last year I snapped up a couple balaclavas at Costco, one for me, and one for my son, who went off to college up north. Bula brand, made with Polartec. Super light, nice design, a few options on how to wear it (jack of all trades, master of none). But I felt it didn't block the wind near as well as a very old polartec hat from REI. Granted, the last one has been thru the wash many times and the Bula has not, so I'm not sure if the "weave" (if there is one) would tighten up with washing.
    Long-term update: that polartec hat from REI that was so good at wind blocking? Turns out it had plastic film built in to it (not unlike saran wrap), between its layers! A few months ago I noticed a crinkly sound from the hat and a hole beginning to form. I have a lot of hats, so I decided to sacrifice it and investigate. Lo and behold, the secret to wind blocking is an impermeable layer of plastic film! I guess it started to crinkle with age and as it detached from the fleece layer to which it was bonded.

I have a military issue polartec fleece jacket for winter. I agree absolutely amazing at cutting wind, so warm .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++