WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To Line Or Not?

Default To Line Or Not?

I just got my new sleeping bags (down 15deg.). In testing I found them fine down to about 25deg. I was thinking of getting Sea to Summit Thermolite liner. The question is anyone out there tried these? There is mixed reviews about them. Are they worth spending $70 on or should I just get a cheep liner and don't worry about the temp. help of a thermo type?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

you get more bang for your buck, and some flexibility, by wearing extra clothes (such as long underwear) instead of an expensive, single-purpose bag liner.

I started the AT NOBO at Springer April 3, 2016. I froze my a__ off at night with my 30 degree, synthetic fill, rectangular bag (yeah, new to hiking at the time). When I got to Neels Gap, I dropped my pack and ran into the Mountain Crossings store and bought a Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme liner for around $70 (don't remember exact cost). That liner saved me and my hike. One night in the Smokies it got down to the mid to low 20's but I was warm. Of course, I was wearing all my clothes, too, but under the same conditions before the liner, I was always shivering cold even when temps were in the mid 30's.

I've since bought a down mummy sleeping bag and stayed away from the early spring/late fall hiking, so I haven't used the liner since, but I was glad to have it when I needed it.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by Two more miles View Post
    I just got my new sleeping bags (down 15deg.). In testing I found them fine down to about 25deg. I was thinking of getting Sea to Summit Thermolite liner. The question is anyone out there tried these? There is mixed reviews about them. Are they worth spending $70 on or should I just get a cheep liner and don't worry about the temp. help of a thermo type?
    Here are some Geezer Ideas:
    Spend the extra $70 on a better bag.
    You left out the full description of your complete sleeping system.
    Full disclosure on the bags including EN numbers if available.
    R-value of insulation between the bag and the ground?
    Clothes worn inside bag?
    Don’t expect to realize any claims made for bag liners.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Two more miles View Post
    Speaking from the hammock:

I am a fan of the quilt fleece liner. It adds 10°-15° of warmth to my 25°-30° top quilt.

Been down to 13°(no wind) comfortably in my hammock with the JRB Quilt Liner and Hudson River Quilt.

Clothes:
    Patagonia Cap. Mid-Base w/zip, Patagonia thermal bottoms, possum socks, Merino hat, Buff, 1 hand warmer.

I have a Cocoon Silk Mummy liner that I am going to test tonight.

Isn't layering always the best approach to insulation?

Loft is King in determining the warmth of a sleeping bag.
    Follow the link. The text is informative. Or scroll way down to the table. Avoid bags from companies that don’t specify loft. Also not that the better made bags will have more loft than the table indicates for a given temperature. Layers of clothing help.
    https://backpackinglight.com/bpl_sle...ion_statement/
    Be warm.
    Wayne

To line or not to line...that sure is a question
    ‘‘tis nobler to twist thy feet than to be bound unto servitude like a hogwallop.

Yeah I don’t like liners

We bought liners way back when we first started winter camping. The sea to summit is just a very thin, you can see right through it, piece of material with a colored footbox and head on the warmer model and just head on the not as warm models. Honestly if I use mine now it’s outside of my quilt to keep dog hair and slobber off my gear and maybe to keep the quilt a little tighter when rolling around. I’d agree with the above adding 70$ to your bag. Or you could get a better puffy coat. There is a sweet vest on backpacking light for 60$. Idk what you end goal is so I can’t really be much help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The liner weight is 8oz. Imagine how warm 8oz of 900 down would b added to your existing system . In a EE quilt it’s over 30° . Not a liner lover. Some like them.

It is relatively inexpensive but I would also suggest getting some clothing (long johns/vest/light puffy jacket) instead so that you have, for about the same weight and volume , something that it is multi use.
    That is what I do.

Down vest, jacket, pants or socks would be much more useful. I had a STS thermolite several years back and honestly couldn’t notice any difference with it and was always getting wrapped up...not a fan. You’d be better off buying my 45* jrb wearable quilt and layer over your bag...

Images

A pad with an insulation value of R5 will go a long way toward sleeping warm in cold weather
    Another idea would be to double up on pads to get twice the R value.

just tried the Cocoon Silk Mummy Liner and I didn’t like it. Got to sweaty and it was confining. Switched back to the JRB fleece liner that only has a sewn foot box. Nothing beats it as a liner as far as I am concerned. It’s about comfort not getting by. A lesser rated quilt with a fleece liner is preferable to me over a warmer quilt by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    just tried the Cocoon Silk Mummy Liner and I didn’t like it. Got to sweaty and it was confining. Switched back to the JRB fleece liner that only has a sewn foot box. Nothing beats it as a liner as far as I am concerned. It’s about comfort not getting by. A lesser rated quilt with a fleece liner is preferable to me over a warmer quilt by itself.
    Looks interesting but weights 18oz....that’s as much as my jrb sierra stealth 40* down quilt by it’s self.

I'm an over-bag kinda guy. If the temps are going to be 15 to 20 degrees, I carry my zero bag.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Looks interesting but weights 18oz....that’s as much as my jrb sierra stealth 40* down quilt by it’s self.

I have the Sierra Stealth as well....the weight has not been lost on me. At this point I am not willing to give up my Linus blanket.

That's the price I am willing to pay for comfort.

Screenshot at 2018-01-19 08:44:28.png

Last night (18°) I took my 5°-10° bag inside and replaced it with the JRB Hudson River Quilt 25°-30° and a $20 JRB fleece liner.
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 01-19-2018 at 14:01.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    you get more bang for your buck, and some flexibility, by wearing extra clothes (such as long underwear) instead of an expensive, single-purpose bag liner.
    ^ This pretty much sums it up right here. If the bag is good for most nights out and the rating may get stretched here and there, then just wear extra clothing inside the bag. It also makes it much nicer when getting up and not having to put on cold clothing.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Upgrading bag is a better investment. One advantage of a liner is keeping your down bag clean. Clean means warm. Then when you hit town and just wash the liner and not your nice down bag. Synthetic bags less of an issue.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! Looks like I just need to dress warmer and or keep my poncho liner in my pack if it gets too cold. I was wanting to get rid of the army poncho liner (light weigh quilt) by switching to a bag liner. Witch would save some weight and space.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++