WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Better get used to walking in a rural setting if you're planning an AT NOBO. Being outdoors exerting yourself for hrs and hrs under inclement weather is something you also need to get comfortable with. This is backpacking training as well.
    Very well said. I was just thinking a nice rural twelve mile hike or ride in 40F weather doesn't sound too bad right now. But as the OP says, little by little.

I once walked 12 miles for a bad cup a coffee, it was great.

What!? A thru-hike is going to involve walking outdoors for hours and hours? Thank goodness somebody told me, now I might have to reconsider the whole endeavor.

Nah, believe it or not I was aware that the A.T. involved... well, backpacking. By my previous comment, I simply meant that being a walk/bike commuter is not practical for me at the moment living so far outside of town. Maybe other people have four or five spare hours they can plan into their day for that, but I'm not currently in a position to prioritize hiking so much just yet. I admire the people who do arrange their priorities that way, and maybe when I quit working entirely in March, that will be an option for me. I do agree with Garlic's advice. In college in Florida, in grad school in Spain, and working in Morocco, I loved the exercise and the $$$ savings of being a bike or walking commuter!
    A.T. 2018 Thru-hiker
    Follow along at www.tefltrekker.com

OK. How about driving into town. And then walking around wearing your pack and trail apparel for an hr to do in town chores, maybe while it's raining, windy, cold, blazing hot, etc. One doesn't have to devote 4-5 hrs daily to work things into backpacking training. That's little by little expanding comfort zones and re-establishing new paradigms too right? Do you think that might mimic a resupply or on trail experiences or contributing to an adaptability mindset all assets as a LD hiker? Perhaps, the most important aspect of these types of experiences is not physical but mental gain which is what some say is lacking among most prospective AT thru-hikers taking them off their anticipated hikes? Can these experiences be furthered to mimic longer typical AT thru-hiker durations as time allows possibly on local /regional trips lasting more than a few hrs or 1-2 days rather than experiencing it for the first time only once on the AT?

Side hill walks will help strengthen ankles.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    Side hill walks will help strengthen ankles.
    which is why I hate long walks on the beach, but I gots bad ackels.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KnightErrant View Post
    ...Maybe other people have four or five spare hours they can plan into their day for that, but I'm not currently in a position to prioritize hiking so much just yet. I admire the people who do arrange their priorities that way,...
    So many people say, "I would do that if only I had the time." It sounds like you realize you have to make the time.
    Can you imagine a life where you have five months ahead of you with absolutely nothing planned? That sounds like a living hell. Yet working to make that much time available for a thru-hike can be gratifying at least, more likely life-changing. In my opinion, the same thing applies to daily life and exercise. It pays off, often in unexpected ways.

We've had a couple weekends now with 40-50 degrees, and I've been leading my horses around the local cornfields for exercise. Try a 5 mile loop in boots with about 2 inches of mud on a frozen base. The horses slide a much as I do! No, I'm not carrying my pack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++