WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A weird thing happening with Amtrak booking...on the website, roomette is showing up with those higher prices but on the app, the price is regular not the higher premium price.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Last thing and I get no special perks from Amtrak...in the East, roomette has a toilet and sink of its own and there's a shower available in the sleeper car. Breakfast lunch and dinner like Slo says is included in the roomette charge, for both people if there are 2 of you.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Two weeks out min for a seat in coach.
    some times the min price is still available just a few days out - better than air travel for the end of trips

Default Trains, Planes....Buses?

Quote Originally Posted by methodman View Post
    What items are not allowed as far as backpacking and can you keep the backpack on the train?
    I took a train from Philly to Maine & back with several transfers. Was never a problem with pack contents or size (I pack out with about 30 lbs, to give you some idea). I was able to set the pack on a seat beside me, I don't know what the option would be if the train was really crowded, but the conductors etc. seemed pretty casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Yeah sooner is always better for the train. It's similar to airfare tickets. Within 14 days and you are likely to pay through the nose. Train fare seems to just steadily climb though whereas airfare seems to drop some around 3 months or closer vs. 3+ months. Then some fluctuations but as the date gets closer the cheap fares disappear. Somewhere in the 7-14 day mark though those airfares switch to steep and you're screwed.

A sleeper works out a little more reasonably with 2 people too. A sleeper from Newark Penn is $184 for multiple dates in March and that's the same for May so I don't think that's gone up yet. That's on top of the ticket which is $152 or so. AAA gets you a 10% discount.

Train from Newark is an overnight. Lot more seat space on a train though so sleeping isn't as horrible. Sleeper is so nice though and yeah they feed you too!
    This is pretty much spot on. Over the years i've been cross country by bus countless times and it is pure misery after two days. Took Amtrak twice to NYC after working at Shenandoah and it was a world of difference in comfort. I'm not too far from Newark but NYC Penn Station is even closer and is better to get a good seat from. Undoubtedly there will be delays due to track work but it's still better than the bus.

Took care of the train ticket already as a Christmas present to myself and i got a motel room in Gainesville booked soon after. I'm calling the numbers for local taxicabs this week and inquiring about a lift to Amicalola.

Thanks everyone for the advice, it looks like I decided to take Amtrak. I feel it is the best route to go. More comfortable so I can get up and stretch, better scenic views, can get up and walk to stretch, don't have to deal with TSA and luggage headaches while flying. I have AAA so I get a little discount with my ticket.

A new question for everyone. They have a Travel Protection which I can add on for $17. Would it be a good idea to have? Does anyone else add this while traveling?

Quote Originally Posted by Hess86NJ View Post
    A new question for everyone. They have a Travel Protection which I can add on for $17. Would it be a good idea to have? Does anyone else add this while traveling?
    I never bothered and never wished I did. I forget what piece of mind that $17 buys. I look at insurance this way. They make money betting I'm not going to need it, so I might as well make that same bet.

Coming back from Glacier, I got a free day in Chicago paid by Amtrak due to arriving 6 hours late for my once a day connection to NYC. I think they have a block of rooms reserved at all the near-by hotels as this happens a lot. Besides the free hotel room, got a $25 stipend to spend on taxi and meals. All without insurance, just part of the deal.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks everyone for the advice, it looks like I decided to take Amtrak. I feel it is the best route to go. More comfortable so I can get up and stretch, better scenic views, can get up and walk to stretch, don't have to deal with TSA and luggage headaches while flying. I have AAA so I get a little discount with my ticket.

For something this important, I would highly advise getting the protection.
    BR360
    "no one is a thru-hiker, until they have done the whole AT."

Journal Entries

I don't mind train travel at all. If not in hurry, great way to travel.

If not in hurry.

WiFi. Basically you just spend all the day reading and browsing internet.

I can't believe i didn't notice your North Bergen location before. I'm right next door to you in Union City.

Forget Newark. NYC Penn Station is where you want to catch the train. It's a major stop so a whole lot of passengers will be getting off and seats will be very easy to get. Unless someone is dropping you off the best bet is to take the light rail from Tonnelle or Bergenline to Hoboken or a bus or jitney down Kennedy blvd to Journal Square to get on the PATH to 33rd street.
    BR360

Not needed. There is plenty of room in the overhead for even the largest pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Additional Question: If I was to go to the dinning or lounge car, do I take my pack with me? With not knowing who will touch it is it best to keep my eyes on it? Will it be safe when not watching due sleeping?

I took the train from North Carolina to Indiana when I got injured on the trail. I was able to carry everything. They do not check.

Quote Originally Posted by methodman View Post
    What items are not allowed as far as backpacking and can you keep the backpack on the train?
    I took the train from North Carolina to Indiana when I got injured on the trail. I was able to carry everything. They do not check.

Additional Question: If I was to go to the dinning or lounge car, do I take my pack with me? With not knowing who will touch it is it best to keep my eyes on it? Will it be safe when not watching due sleeping?
    Once up on the rack above your head, it's kind of a pain to get into if you need something. Not much room to move around in either. No one will fool with it.

I challenge you to get any actual sleep. Get eye shades since the cabin lights are never turned fully off. It can be chilly if the air conditioner isn't working quite right. I was in the refrigerator car my last trip and had to break out my sleeping bag to stay warm, while the people in the next car were too hot! I've started taking an OTC sleep aid and playing meditative music to drown out the background noises in order to get any sleep. But for some people, the train noises lull them to sleep.

I highly recommend bringing some snacks. Food is available, but pricey. The dinning car is a nice experience, since you sit with 3 other random people. The ones who happened to be in line in front or behind you at the door.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Once up on the rack above your head, it's kind of a pain to get into if you need something. Not much room to move around in either. No one will fool with it.

I challenge you to get any actual sleep. Get eye shades since the cabin lights are never turned fully off. It can be chilly if the air conditioner isn't working quite right. I was in the refrigerator car my last trip and had to break out my sleeping bag to stay warm, while the people in the next car were too hot! I've started taking an OTC sleep aid and playing meditative music to drown out the background noises in order to get any sleep. But for some people, the train noises lull them to sleep.

I highly recommend bringing some snacks. Food is available, but pricey. The dinning car is a nice experience, since you sit with 3 other random people. The ones who happened to be in line in front or behind you at the door.
    Bringing your own grub is the way to go for sure. The way prices are these days on any kind of carrier it's best to pack what you can to avoid the gouging.
    As for getting Zs, if you are tired you will sleep. Just make sure to bring along a pillow to put up against the window and wear something with a hood that'll reach over your eyes if you are riding in coach. A sleeper is like being in a hotel by comparison.
    BR360

Make sure you look at what's covered by this insurance. Once you see what it covers, you'll be better able to determine if it's a good deal for you or not.

I travel every month for work. None of the reasons I've ever had to cancel/reschedule a trip have ever been covered by traveler's insurance. YMMV.

Hey I'm brand new hear and this is exactly the thread I have been hoping to find.

I've read many older posts about Amtrak specifically. Some say that if you're on a typical route to Gainesville (the closest train stop to Amicalola) then they won't give you much of a problem. While Amtrak does have checked baggage, they won't do that for eastern corridor trains. You can check the bags, but it will go onto one with a baggage car, which is usually not your train, so when you get to Gainesville you will be without luggage or backpack for up to a day. So you 'carry it on'.

People have also said that there are spot checks, depending upon the conductor/steward - most of the experienced ones don't bother, especially with backpacks, because most of us know how we packed our pack and they wouldn't be able to get everything back in, in all likelihood.

Although I know of many conductors and have ridden amtrak and commuter trains for the past 30 years, I figured I don't want to get into trouble at the last little bit. Not so much fuel as it can be replaced, but if you have a really handy knife (not a huge thing but something you would use everyday for opening things etc) you may not be able to find anything like that and you don't want it confiscated. There is other hiking gear that Amtrak could argue is sharp or pointy (like my trekking poles) and I don't want them confiscated either.

My older sister said she would pick me up in Gainesville off the 19 Crescent at 7am. I didn't expect that but now that I have pndered a few things I thought why take chances, I'm going to mail the sharp pointy (and expensive ) gear to her and she will bring it with her to Gainesville.

My other thoughts about backpacks etc. I won't have anything hanging off the back part of the backpack so why not put the pack cover on backwards to it covers up the waist and chest straps? Might make it easier to manuver without getting caught on stuff in the racks.

Anyway, hope everyone finds this useful. I don't think it would be an issue to just travel with everything but I don't want to have my trekking poles or other stuff confiscated and have to replace them.

I did buy my train ticket and I did get the protection just in case (it covers being able to cancel your ticket etc.) I also had to go with business class for some reason, the coach seats were supposedly all gone. They had a couple of sleepers but that was pretty high. The 19 Crescent travels from around 7pm in DC to Gainesville and stops at 7am the next morning. Perfect for me as I wanted to get to the trail early -- the sister wanted to see the falls and I guess we would say our goodbyes and I will get to Stover or Hawk Mtn sometime later that day. Not in any big hurry but the committment begins with the first step.

Some older posts suggested going to Atlanta flying and take Amtrak back out to Gainesville. I think that is the other Crescent, that stops in Gainesville around 7 at night (the schedule may have changed a bit so I don't know). And that would likely mean a stop over in Gainesville or someplace like Dahlonega if you can get a shuttle.

Images

dude , keep it simple man . the bus is not bad neither is the train or flying . use what is in your budget and do not worry so much . it is not the destination it is the journey brother . experience things you have never done that way you never have to ask anyone ever again what it is like or wonder what it is like . do not make your trip a job man it takes the fun out of it . peace and love my friend . if you need anything look me up down here in ga . the further shuttle Appalachian ... i'm all over these mountains

So I bought my Amtrak ticket on Feb. 4th from Newark, NJ to Gainesville, GA. First time ever riding Amtrak. Thanks everyone for answering all my questions. The service doesn't have checked baggage so it has to be a carry on. I will definitely be bringing some food on the train as it leaves at 2:37pm.
    I arrive on March 20.... I just have to figure out about getting from the train station to Amicalola Falls.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++