Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The real answer- this is a social question and it depends on the interactions and comfort level of both you and others on the trail. Without assigning blame (I.e. others should/shouldn’t care, you should/shouldn’t feel threatened, a weirdo might/might not harass you, etc)... if you were 100% comfortable you probably wouldn’t have posted here. It’s OK to feel uncomfortable and it’s OK if you want to carry pepper spray where it’s not illegal. But remember that the AT is a social trail and you’ll end up making some friends and having your own trail family out there. Once you’ve found your way into a social group, I’m willing to bet that nobody will care about anyone’s personal choice of undergarments. Out on the trail, I’ve seen braless women as well as guys lounging in nothing but ill-fitting underwear that revealed way too much. Amongst my pack/trail family, nobody cared. But if that dude was in the midst of a Girl Scout troop, or a braless woman shared a shelter with a bunch of cub scouts, either clothing choices would likely result in some uncomfortable interactions regardless of whether or not the clothing choices “should” be considered OK.

My honest 2 cents: prepare for the worst. Carry what you need to carry to feel comfortable. Some people carry a large knife, or a gun, or 4 extra pairs of underwear, or an extra liter of water, or an extra days supply of food. You’re talking about a bra. So start out with an extra one to keep dry/fresh for camp. As you hike, you can make a personal assessment and weigh the physical and emotional cost vs benefit of carrying an extra piece of gear. And realize that your needs will likely change while you’re out there. It’s all part of the experience.

Good luck out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bras a very personally thing.. and how comfortable someone is wearing one or not is also very personal. I have medium to large breasts (38D in a soma bra) and hiking with nothing would not be comfortable for me. I did find a wonderful bra for hiking from https://www.knixwear.com/ it is synthetic, breathes and dries quickly. It was so comfortable I was able to sleep in it as well... I didn't want to have to deal with getting completely naked every night.. They also have amazing underwear for a 4 night trip I wore a pair and brought a pair and it was very easy to wash and dry. Being comfortable is the most important thing.. and Knixwear has a money back guarantee, so it doesn't hurt to give them a try

I am big chested, I found changing out of a wet sports bra at the end of the day relaxing. I just used my jacket if uncomfortable. Really after awhile, you just won't care.

Journal Entries

In the bra vs no bra at camp conversation I take a slightly different perspective. As for myself, I wouldn't go braless unless there's no one else around but this topic brings to mind other folks. What if I'm at camp with my SO and there is a female with prominent breasts not wearing a bra? This might not be the most popular opinion but that would make me extremely uncomfortable. I remember one time a mutual female friend/ tenant was hanging around the building without a bra on and chatting with him. He grew up with sisters and doesn't make a big deal of it or even really look but what if it was very noticeable? I didn't like it then and it wasn't extremely noticeable since she's not overly endowed. It's wonderful to be comfortable with your body, it's not like I'm not. Its also not like I don't trust him to not look; like I said, he is used to that since he grew up with all women, but isn't it disrespectful to your fellow females to expose yourself to taken men in such an immodest way? How does one even handle such a situation? This leads into a whole slew of other situations that could arise on the trail. What if you're stopping at a swimming hole and there are people who are naked?Do the rules of indecent exposure go away because you're on the trail? Where does the line get drawn and how do you deal with other people exposing themselves inappropriately? I don't think its overtly inappropriate to go braless but what if it was a circumstance where nothing was left to the imagination? What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    I don't think its overtly inappropriate to go braless but what if it was a circumstance where nothing was left to the imagination? What do you do?
    Nothing left to the imagination? Bodies are bodies. You ignore it because all of us women have them and continue doing what you are doing. And if a woman is comfortable to not care what other prudes think and is not concerned about men with wandering eyes then all the more power to her. I take mine off where and when I want, I do not care what anyone else thinks. I do not care if your husband can not control his gaze. It is harmles, let him look away. If he is rude, he will likely get schooled. They are only boobs, men are programmed to look. I'm sure they spend all day looking at fit hiking bodies in yoga/ tight stretch hiking pants with nice fit butts in them. Hell, I'm a woman and I look..albeit jealously lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++