WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    for me----i didnt see what the "crime" was when i was asleep at 10 am in the shelter, with permit in my pocket, when the ranger came up...

him and i had some harsh words right from the get go---as in "why'd you wake me up yelling and screaming?"

i had permit so i was perfectly legal but we argue throughout the day (he came back and checked permits 3 other times that day-----it was leconte shelter)..........

but at the end of the day, i was in the right and he was in the wrong.....
    The moral of that story is that if you're going to sleep in a shelter by day, make sure your permit is prominently displayed so the ranger shouldn't have to bother you... and make sure you've hung your food bag on the bear cables since your nap will leave your food unattended.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The moral of that story is that if you're going to sleep in a shelter by day, make sure your permit is prominently displayed so the ranger shouldn't have to bother you... and make sure you've hung your food bag on the bear cables since your nap will leave your food unattended.

food was hung with pack.....

nothing but me and my pad and sleeping bag were in shelter........

and yeah----thought about tacking the permit on one of the wood beams but i only had one copy and didnt want it to fly away or get taken or anything like that..

and to be honest----i wasnt expecting anyone to check a permit at 10am...

maybe in the afternoon, yes, but 10am was, imo, a little early to check permit...

i figured i could nap for a while (i did an overnight hike up to watch sun rise) before someone would be checking....

also----he checked my permit 3 other times that day......same day........

i hadnt moved from the general area of the shelter all day.......

he could have just come around once in the early evening and checked the permit.......

Dont’t worry about the mice;worry about breathing their poop dust.Only takes a little and your lungs are screwed.

Spence Field, and most of the GSMNP shelters including Laurel Gap, and Overmountain are the worst for meeses.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Spence Field, and most of the GSMNP shelters including Laurel Gap, and Overmountain are the worst for meeses.

And some of the more popular campsites as well--37 is awful........

i would say the lesson from TNHiker's story is that some folks get into LEO jobs for the wrong reason

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ashepabst View Post
    i would say the lesson from TNHiker's story is that some folks get into LEO jobs for the wrong reason
    I think thats a bit of one sided view of events.

Asleep in day in backcountry is unusual enough that it warrants checking that the person is OK for starters. That alone warrants waking them and evaluating mental faculties. People do routinely die there or need assistance...hypothermia....suicide...or other ailment...intoxicated....etc..its their job to look out for those things.

Act snarky....and your the one sewing seeds for a poor interaction.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-24-2019 at 10:53.

Images

Act snarky....and your the one sewing seeds for a poor interaction.

agreed....

but the way i look at it-----it was his attitude in how he woke me up that set up all the stuff that went on afterwards...

he didnt need to yell and scream at me to wake up.....

in fact----he really didnt need to wake me up at all..

it was 10 am....

nothing wrong with sleeping in late, or in my case, taking a nap...

ive never had a ranger come by my tent and shake it to try to wake me up at any other backcountry sites.....

and then coupled with the fact that he checked permits 3 other times throughout the day----he remembered me----but still checked my permit all the other times...

what does he gain by checking a permit 4 times in a day from the same person......

Journal Entries

agreed....

but the way i look at it-----it was his attitude in how he woke me up that set up all the stuff that went on afterwards...

he didnt need to yell and scream at me to wake up.....

in fact----he really didnt need to wake me up at all..

it was 10 am....

nothing wrong with sleeping in late, or in my case, taking a nap...

ive never had a ranger come by my tent and shake it to try to wake me up at any other backcountry sites.....

and then coupled with the fact that he checked permits 3 other times throughout the day----he remembered me----but still checked my permit all the other times...

what does he gain by checking a permit 4 times in a day from the same person......
    Perhaps it give him reason to interact with you to see that your still OK? Maybe he still doubted your normalcy? Suspected something else?

Since you were asleep , at other sites you dont know if anyone ever did come by while asleep?

Few people make their own jobs more difficult by choice. But i recall reading about a ridgerunner there a few yrs ago that was....over the edge...to put it nicely.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-24-2019 at 11:54.

Images

Since you were asleep , at other sites you dont know if anyone ever did come by while asleep?

i'm not an early riser---its rare for me to get up before 9 or ten on a weekend, especially if i'm out in the backcountry...

and i'm a light sleeper......

not once have i had a ranger come over and shake my tent, or yell at me through my tent asking for a permit...

ive had rangers in camp before-----ive heard their voices while im still tucked away.........and no interaction with them......

But i recall reading about a ridgerunner there a few yrs ago that was....over the edge...to put it nicely.

and while this guy was a ranger and not a ridgerunner----i also heard from the others that day about their interactions with said ranger...

and not one of those was positive....

this was a ranger who is stationed at leconte....

so yeah, he interacts with alot of people and maybe that creates his attitude......

Holy Cow PatmanTN! I am so sorry this happened to you. I avoid shelters like the plague, but these mice can even crawl into tents too. They have weird chewing habits as I noted in another thread regarding tenting in shelters. They will chew through quilt, plastic, foil, paper, cloth, etc. Their attraction to the filling in your quilt might have do with nesting material. The only issue with GSMNP is they require hikers to sleep in shelters, unless you are a thru-hiker that gets kicked out by a day hiker with a reservation OR the shelter is overcrowded, so you have to find a tent site nearby. HOWEVER, I spoke with GSMNP backcountry office. They said, that you can tent at your discretion, BUT may have to answer to a Ridge Runner, BUT you won't get fined or anything. They understand about the mice situation. They are just trying to regulate the numbers of hikers.

Journal Entries

so yeah, he interacts with alot of people and maybe that creates his attitude......

Yep.

Or maybe someone called in sick, and he had to cancel plans with family and hike into backcountry for several days. Wife is pissed, and previous groups of rule breakers put him in worse mood.

You never know....

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Most definitely... Because depending upon the situation, your attitude and the ranger's attitude...

If space is available and the ranger thinks the best course of action is to educate you on the park rules and regulations, the ranger can issue you a permit on the spot. You then pay for the permit, $4/night/person, when your trip is complete.

But now that you know camping in GSMNP requires a permit that can be obtained from their web site, the question is moot.
    And I know that camping requires a permit now because the ranger thought it best to educate me in this particular hypothetical situation?

Default Spence Field Mice / a force to be reckoned with

And some of the more popular campsites as well--37 is awful........
    Those crazy meese at CS37 have learned to climb the food cables, for god’s sake. Or there’s flying squirrels in the area—is that true or just a story I heard?
    Last edited by Ashepabst; 05-25-2019 at 21:44.

Those crazy meese have learned to climb the food cables, for god’s sake. Or there’s flying squirrels in the area—is that true or just a story I heard?
    And several posts mentioned killing them with traps. That's legal? I thought all wildlife were protected within the park.

Quote Originally Posted by DSPeabody View Post
    And several posts mentioned killing them with traps. That's legal? I thought all wildlife were protected within the park.
    This is the main question that never seems to get answered. I know the Forest Service on occasion kills rodents in and around their National Forest buildings and structures so there's that. As for a backpacker carrying mouse traps to thin the herd in various camps---no one seems to have the answer.

Dunno about the legality, but a dick move if you ask me, and futile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunno about the legality, but a dick move if you ask me, and futile.

Why would it be a dick move? Don't hikers kill ticks??

Is it really gonna make a difference? I suppose in some instances it’s not a dick move but an poorly reasoned move.
    And no, my bleeding heart doesn’t extend to a parasite attaching itself to me

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    This is the main question that never seems to get answered. I know the Forest Service on occasion kills rodents in and around their National Forest buildings and structures so there's that. As for a backpacker carrying mouse traps to thin the herd in various camps---no one seems to have the answer.
    Stayed at a shelter with a ridge runner in GSMNP one night when another camper wanted to setup mouse traps. The ridge runner didn't seem to object to the mouse traps, but did object to putting out bait (i.e. leaving out food).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++