WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    they will rip them to pieces......
    "No more rhymes now, I mean it!" - Vizzini

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    "No more rhymes now, I mean it!" - Vizzini
    Anybody want a peanut?
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

They are bad a quite a few BC sites in GSMNP. Guess they aren't hunted enough there?

One trip, a couple of hikers passed me on the trail leading to #29. I arrived about 30 minutes later to find out a meese had chewed a hole in one of the hiker's brand new Osprey pack. They had only been there about 15 min before it happened.

Journal Entries

Dont blame the mice.
    You the one that ventured into their home and left gear unprotected.

If they had travelled to your house, then you can be mad.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-24-2018 at 14:22.

Backcountry campsite #37 is infested.

Had a mouse in my tent once. Ran across my face while I was trying to sleep. Screamed like a little girl.

On a different trip a mouse chewed through my hiking pole strap just a few inches from my head. Never heard it.

On a different trip a mouse took a half cup of trail mix from our food bag and transferred it to another person's pack where it spent the night creating a den. The food bag and the pack were up on the bear lines.

Viscous little monsters. All at #37. Infested!

Scientists say white-footed mice, which are primary carriers of the Lyme bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi, are a highly popular host of black-legged ticks — which consequently makes them a key culprit in the spread of Lyme disease.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5654696e6772

Images

Backcountry campsite #37 is infested.

that campsite is one of the worst one for mice as its one of the most popular sites in the park....

I'm starting to think about picking up on of those toothpick crossbows I saw over on massdrop. Might be fun sport

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    I just got back from a weekend loop in the GSMNP and I'm done with shelters. Here's what happened:I normally don't use the shelters much but I got lazy and stayed at Spence Field on the AT last Friday night.
    It is not a matter of being lazy. You have no choice but to stay in the shelter. Tenting is not permitted.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    It is not a matter of being lazy. You have no choice but to stay in the shelter. Tenting is not permitted.
    Nah, you're thinking like a Thru-hiker, there are many camps off the AT, but you have to walk to them. But after rereading you're right in that I didn't make that clear. My hike wasn't an AT hike; the AT was a small part of my route. I started from Cades Cove picnic area and went up Anthony Creek, Bote Mtn, and was going to go past Spence down Eagle Creek for the first night, then back up to Spence, but I got lazy and cut that part out instead just stopping at Spence. The next camp was Sheep Pen Gap over on Gregory Ridge. The last day I went down Gregory Bald trail, out Forge Creek gravel road (closed to traffic right now) and then walked the center of the Cove fields as much as I could back to the picnic area.
    Last edited by PatmanTN; 01-24-2018 at 19:34.

Nah, you're thinking like a Thru-hiker, there are many camps off the AT, but you have to walk to them.
    No, I was thinking as a GSMNP backcountry overnight user. According to park rules one needs a reservation and permit for overnight stays in the backcountry. In addition tenting is not allowed at shelters. There are shelters in the park that are not on the AT.
    More walking, less talking.

M-I-C-K-E-Y! Why ? Because humans are SLOBs than blame the animals for trying to survive! M-O-U-S-E.

soilman,

Ok. At ease soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Dont blame the mice.
    You the one that ventured into their home and left gear unprotected.

If they had travelled to your house, then you can be mad.
    You consider sleeping on a platform leaving gear unprotected? How would you have protected your sleeping bag?

Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    M-I-C-K-E-Y! Why ? Because humans are SLOBs than blame the animals for trying to survive! M-O-U-S-E.
    To be sure, I blame both people and mice. It is interesting to read all these reactions. I was sharing what I thought was a somewhat unusual and funny anecdote but people seem to read so much into it.

soilman,

Ok. At ease soldier.
    LOL

I give a homeboy credit for knowing his backyard.

I just got back from a weekend loop in the GSMNP and I'm done with shelters. Here's what happened:I normally don't use the shelters much but I got lazy and stayed at Spence Field on the AT last Friday night. I was the only one there and had a nice fire to dry out my shoes from the snowy trail:
    https://photos.smugmug.com/2018/Janu...9_193438-L.jpg
    I saw a few mice but they're always a part of shelters.
    Anyway, I had hung my pack on a nail (not worried as much about bears in January). When I woke in the morning and crawled out of my bag, puffs of down flew up in the air. Upon closer inspection I saw I had two holes in my bag! The little bastards had robbed me while I slept!But wait, there's more....I took my backpack off the nail and a mouse scurried up and out of the main compartment. Looking in I discovered all the missing down from my backpack. As I turned it upside down to dump it out, I poured out 4 more mice! The industrious vermin had transported all their harvested down to my pack and nested in it!I had murder in my heart. I hate to admit the ugliness but I tried to stomp them all. I didn't connect with a single one. They were obviously well rested and scattered in all directions. They garbage bag liner I use for water proofing had also been chewed through and pooped on. Here was the pile of tainted down I dumped out on the shelter floor ( I swept it up and out before leaving but I'm sure it'll be reclaimed):
    https://photos.smugmug.com/2018/Janu...DSCN4091-L.jpg
    My bag is tainted. My backpack is tainted. Nasty disgusting vermin put a bad vibe on my trip, lol. I had another night to go to finish my loop and I did, but I felt dirty.I'm gonna scrub out that pack with soap. Not sure about the bag yet.I put Band-Aids on the holes in my Western Mountaineering Lynx to stop the leaking while finishing the trip:
    https://photos.smugmug.com/2018/Janu...DSCN4105-L.jpg

And here is the largest hole they opened and harvested:
    https://photos.smugmug.com/2018/Janu...DSCN4106-L.jpg
    That's a shame. I read somewhere about a guy who said he always completely emptied out his pack and hung it upside to combat the mice. The worst part is them chewing on his sleeping bag with you in it! Yuck!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    ha ha....yeah....but there is a missing piece of the equation in your statement. That is the part about the 'slobs' gathering regularly at very predictable places which also happen to be a great....and not natural by the way..... great artificial nesting shelter habitat for the little vermin

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    LOL

I give a homeboy credit for knowing his backyard.
    lol, nah it's cool. This is the public internet. soilman doesn't know me and there is no way he could know that I've been hiking in the GSMNP for over half my life or that by my most conservative estimate I've hiked over 5000 miles in the park, or that I've checked off the 900 miler list twice or that I've hiked almost every historical manway that can be researched or that I've spent countless hours doing volunteer clean-up and trail maintenance there. I'm just as likely to judge people based on snippets of information as anyone. I get it.

Journal Entries

You consider sleeping on a platform leaving gear unprotected? How would you have protected your sleeping bag?
    I've seen 2 people bring cots into the shelter to be elevated over the shelter floor - Im not sure anti mouse was the reason. They also hiked throughout the night and arrived at the shelter in the early morning to sleep, thus also avoiding the permit requirement.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++