WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone ever tried a Klymit insulated pad with a down quilt?

I'm researching Klymit pads, the insulated ones in particular. Has anyone ever used these pads with a quilt? I'm wondering whether the rather large baffles would allow cold from the ground to seep in between the baffle grooves when using a quilt (which of course would have no bottom insulation). Any insights would be much appreciated.

This is an intriguing question, and I'd be interested to find out as well ... and there's a way to test this empirically - buy the items and test yourself. If you're a costco member, they'll take the stuff back, though I don't think you should buy them with the intent of "renting" them for free. If it works as you hoped, you should keep it. So that's the empirical angle.

One can also use some armchair reasoning to gain insight as well. The baffle grooves have no insulation of their own. It's a thin weld at that point. I'm not sure if it's Klymit fans or Klymit itself, but the idea is that one's sleeping bag insulation fills in these grooves, so (for the insulated pad) you have insulation inside the pad within the peaks, and insulation from your own sleeping bag in the valleys.

I'm not so sure your sleeping bag fills in these valleys very much. Loose down would, of course, but the shell of the bag probably doesn't expand into the gap. It probably lays across it, like a suspension bridge, very slight dip in the middle, but otherwise, not dropping down to fill in the valley. On the underside, if there's nothing there, you have a little air between the underside of the weld and the tent floor. Both the topside and underside grooves may be susceptible to cold air coming in from the sides.

I have wondered whether wrapping the Static V2 (uninsulated) pad in a down throw would provide good insulation. But I never tried it. For one thing, it would be hard to keep the throw in place as I shift about through the night. For another, the insulated version of the pad weighs less than the V2 plus a down throw. Maybe 8oz less. It's also more compact than the other combo. So there's little reason to wrap the v2 in a down throw if insulation is what you're after. Just buy the insulated model.

Wrapping the insulated version in a down throw, well, that might increase R value, but do you need that if you're already at 4.4? Maybe in bitter cold, but short of that, I'm not so sure.

Until our last hike we both used a Klymit insulated Static V pad. I had two issues with it ( my husband can sleep soundly on a hard rock, so he has no issues with anything.) I found that I was always cold and, being a side sleeper, my hips always hurt.

This time I switched to a Thermarest Neo-Air Xtherm and a EE Revelation quilt. I was finally comfortable at night.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I had no issues with the Klymit pad with a quilt. I had issues with the quilt being too narrow, but no issues with the actual pad itself. I love my insulated Klymit pad.

Leonidas

I've only used the 1.3R UL model, but it was with a quilt and was fine @ 40*, anything lower and I switch to my L/W Xlite. As for the side sleeping hip thing, I usually only have the issue if we are in a shelter, if so, then I put my Zseat under my hips and problem solved.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I've wondered the same thing myself.

Just as a caveat. I used it into the 20s with a quilt that was too narrow and was mostly warm unless I rolled over and revealed air gaps.

After my Thermo-rest blew up into a pool toy, I got a Klymit Static 5, and used it with a basic Jacks R Better Quilt. No issues at all from the wide grooves.

I picked up one on mass drop recently and took it out on a week long outing and it did just fine although the weather was quite warm out

I also picked up an insulated Massdrop Static V. Recently back from a week in the Sierra, using a quilt. It is thinner than my previous pad, but I never felt it was too thin when side sleeping. Coldest temps I encountered were 53°, so not a true test of the pads capabilities.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

to the OP:...I have that pad and use it with a hammock gear 20* long & wide quilt. The coolest night I've used it on was 34* slept in a base layer and heavy wool socks and was quite warm. I didn't use any pad straps
    Last edited by needlefish; 03-04-2019 at 11:45.

I've used the Klymit Insulated Static V with both a mummy bag and a quilt. The insulation from the pad does a great job and has always kept me warm along with my bag/quilt.
    I will say, the sleeping surface of the Klymit is definitely unique and is not for everyone. Unfortunately, I find it hard to stay comfortable and end up continually tossing to find a comfortable position. This is in no way a knock on the pad itself. It's just my personal experience and preference.

++ New Posts ++