WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Grease pot

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    My Stanco grease pot from a few years ago has an inwardly rolled lip which sucks and has actually be discussed here in the past. I wonder if they changed the lip in recent years.

*SNIP*
    the stanco brand grease pot always has had an outward rolled lid as far as i can remember, walmart used to sell a look alike that had an inward roll perhaps that is the one you are thinking of?

If you're looking for cheap and light, forget the grease post, heck, I'd thought that had pretty much gone by the way side about three years ago. What in my opinion is a much better and more capable option for even less money is the IMUSA 12 cm aluminum "mug".

It has a handle. It pours nicely due to it's outwardly rolled lip design. The outwardly rolled lip also stays cleaner than the inwardly rolled lip on the grease pot. It can sometimes be found at Walmart. It can always be found on Amazon. You will want to take five minutes and make a lid for it, most people just use heavy aluminum foil from a disposable baking pan or a beverage can. The handle gets hot, so you still want to use a bandana or something to keep from burning yourself when you take if off the stove or out of the fire (unless you coat the handle with something non-heat-conductive). In all a great cheap pot/cup.
    This one has the outwardly rolled lip, but if I had seen the thread(s?) about the Imusa "mug", I probably would have gone that route instead, because fabricating a lid is WAY easier than fabricating a handle that will work. *shrug* (ouch, broken collar bone) I'll tinker with this grease pot, and maybe get an IMUSA mug, too. Each "pot" is about the cost of a can of fuel for the canister stove.

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    the stanco brand grease pot always has had an outward rolled lid as far as i can remember, walmart used to sell a look alike that had an inward roll perhaps that is the one you are thinking of?
    It's been a while. My mind may be playing tricks on me. I was pretty sure it was a Stanco and had a inward rolled lip and a lid that wet over the outside of the pot instead of inside (another down side to the grease pot). I might be able to find my grease pot and look at it. I'm pretty sure it was from Walmart as I remember feeling a bit dirty about buying it. ;-)

. . . of course, as I'm writing this, I'm also wearing a black 1/4-zip $9.99 fleece that I bought at Walmart about 5 years ago and still use as one of my favorite pieces of clothing while my $100ish Mountain Hardwear 1/4-zip fleece, that actually fits me better, is sitting in my closet because I like the breast pocket on my Walmart fleece and I prefer the black color (and yes, I love the fact that it cost less than $10). Go figure. This fleece is probably one of my most used and least expensive pieces of gear. . . and I still really don't like Walmart.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I love Walmart, get a lot of my hiking supplies and clothes there, unapologetically =)

Here's some pics of my Walmart Grease pot lid/rim, hopefully it helps!

If you can't see the pics let me know, I'll upload them to my WB folder.

Pictures don't show for me here.

greasepot & imusa.jpg

Picture of my IMUSA 12 cm mug weighing 3.1 oz. The Stanco grease pot is actually lighter at 2.2 oz and within about a ml of exactly the same volume.

Also, yeah, I'm wrong. My grease pot does also have an outwardly rolled lip. I wonder what I'm remembering about inwardly rolled lips and cheap pots? I wonder if it was the even earlier and taller grease pot with handle? This grease pot is also soft and thin enough aluminum, if you don't like the way it pours, you could easily put a slight bend in the lip to make a pour spout.
    Last edited by nsherry61; 01-25-2018 at 12:39.

Pictures don't show for me here.
    I never know when I try to link from Google Photos.

grease pot 1.jpg

grease pot 2.jpg

Journal Entries

greasepot & imusa.jpg

Picture of my IMUSA 12 cm mug weighing 3.1 oz. The Stanco grease pot is actually lighter at 2.2 oz and within about a ml of exactly the same volume.

Also, yeah, I'm wrong. My grease pot does also have an outwardly rolled lip. I wonder what I'm remembering about inwardly rolled lips and cheap pots? I wonder if it was the even earlier and taller grease pot with handle? This grease pot is also soft and thin enough aluminum, if you don't like the way it pours, you could easily put a slight bend in the lip to make a pour spout.
    Nah you're not nuts about 10 years ago the original Kmart grease pot did have inward rolled lip.

Trying to put a bend IN make a pour spout did not work for me. You really can't put enough of one in without totalling mangling the pot up

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    . . .Trying to put a bend IN make a pour spout did not work for me. You really can't put enough of one in without totalling mangling the pot up
    I've never been to worked up about a pouring spout because I've always found that rolled lips poured just fine for me without a spout. But hey, to each their own. Maybe I'll go dig that grease pot out again and play with making a spout and an ultra-light handle. . . or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Nah you're not nuts about 10 years ago the original Kmart grease pot did have inward rolled lip.

Trying to put a bend IN make a pour spout did not work for me. You really can't put enough of one in without totalling mangling the pot up
    i first bought a k-mart pot roughly 10 years ago it has a rolled out edge,

on this very forum one of the very first references to the kmart pot has a rolled out lip goes back to 2006....

Quote Originally Posted by mindi View Post
    The Kmart greasepot does not have the lip that turns inward like the Walmart pot, so I'm going to go with that if I don't get a Titanium pot. Thanks for the tips, everyone.
    Mindi
    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...l=1#post167902

the stanco brand that kmart has sold going back to the mid 2000's has always had a rolled out lip. again it was the wal-mart grease pot that had the rolled in lip...

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I bought a stanco grease pot for my alcohol stove kit. I removed the big plastic knob and will use a/c duct foil tape for the lid handle.
    What do you experienced people do about grabbing or holding the pot when it's hot?
    The pliers on a Leatherman Squirt. (I carry the tool for other reasons, anyway, but I can pick up the pot with it..)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

It's difficult to boil 4 cups in it and then lift the pot without scalding yourself, accident waiting to happen. Get the 12cm Imusa. make life easy and more safe ;-) keep it super simple

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    It weighs 13 grams? I would never have guessed it would be that much. I'm not sure that I want to remove the knob entirely, but it does give me pause to consider shrinking it using a grinder. Shouldn't be too hard to shave two sides and end up with a thin rectangle of plastic...
    I finally got around to measuring mine:

Lid with handle = 32.5 g
    Lid without handle = 27.3 g
    Handle and screw = 5.2 g

Seems there is some variation.

Way back when Walmart sold a grease pot that had an inner lip. About the same time Kmart sold one with an outer lip. The current Stanco has an outer lip. Personally I use a GSI potgrabber with my Kmart grease pot. The grabber has a magnet in in which is useless on aluminum so if you want to save some weight it could be cut out. I also use it on the Imusa pot/mug because that handle gets HOT.
    http://www.gsioutdoors.com/shop/camp...rogripper.html

Will the IMUSA cup hold a canister, BRS stove, Mini Bic lighter and bandana/cleaning cloth?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Singto View Post
    Will the IMUSA cup hold a canister, BRS stove, Mini Bic lighter and bandana/cleaning cloth?

Thank you
    Yes, the 12cm cup will hold that perfectly. Canister will not fit in the 10cm cup.

Bandana works for me

I just picked up the 10 cm cup, and the small 110g (4oz) canister fits perfectly. I even squeezed a mini bic in too. I didn't try, but I doubt a bandanna would fully fit in there too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++