WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grease pot

Default Grease pot

I bought a stanco grease pot for my alcohol stove kit. I removed the big plastic knob and will use a/c duct foil tape for the lid handle.
    What do you experienced people do about grabbing or holding the pot when it's hot?

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I bought a stanco grease pot for my alcohol stove kit. I removed the big plastic knob and will use a/c duct foil tape for the lid handle.
    What do you experienced people do about grabbing or holding the pot when it's hot?
    i just use my bandanna

Might want to get a pot grabber.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Silicone ‘slap straps’ (wrist bands) the kids were all wearin’ a few years back work pretty good if you don’t mind the weight.

Journal Entries

The lid that came with my grease pot has never been out on the trail. I instead use a much lighter homemade lid for my 'grease pot'. I cut that lid out from the thin aluminum bottom of a pan that had contained a frozen pie purchased at the grocery store.

I don't use a bandana as clothing, nor for personal hygiene. Instead a cut down strip of pack towel, about 2'' x 12", assists my nightly hygiene, can serve as a towel in town, and can remove of water drops from my shelter. Separately my cooking gear includes 1/2 of a bandana. That little piece of cloth is just the right size for grasping and holding my pot while it is hot and then later cleaning it out.
    Last edited by Siestita; 01-23-2018 at 03:54.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post

I use my bandanna to move the pot when it's hot. To save fuel, I usually cook my food "al dente" and just let it sit for 10 minutes to finish cooking. Even at that point, I find the pot too hot to hold while eating, so I use my bandanna while eating to keep my hand from getting burnt.

Just curious, after you took the plastic knob off the pot, did you weigh it? To be honest, I have never even considered modding my grease pot because it's already so light. But, taking the plastic knob off seems easy if it weighs enough to bother...

I don't have a kitchen scale, but the strainer and the knob feel like they are close to half of the weight of the total kit.
    I figure this is my ultralight setup, and if I save a half ounce for free, why not.
    Also, it should take up less space in the pack without the knob.

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post

*snip*

Just curious, after you took the plastic knob off the pot, did you weigh it? To be honest, I have never even considered modding my grease pot because it's already so light. But, taking the plastic knob off seems easy if it weighs enough to bother...
    Stanco grease pot

pot and lid without knob or strainer 3.06 oz/87 g
    pot no lid 2.04 oz/58 g
    knob and screw .49 oz/13 g
    strainer .88 oz/25 g

Images

I'm using the pack towel sleeve that came with the MSR pot grabber. (See this thread)
    Works. Easier than my shirt sleeve. Fewer strange looks than my sock.

rubber pot holder, small and lite but does take up a little more space than a cloth option.

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    Stanco grease pot

pot and lid without knob or strainer 3.06 oz/87 g
    pot no lid 2.04 oz/58 g
    knob and screw .49 oz/13 g
    strainer .88 oz/25 g

It weighs 13 grams? I would never have guessed it would be that much. I'm not sure that I want to remove the knob entirely, but it does give me pause to consider shrinking it using a grinder. Shouldn't be too hard to shave two sides and end up with a thin rectangle of plastic...

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    It weighs 13 grams? I would never have guessed it would be that much. I'm not sure that I want to remove the knob entirely, but it does give me pause to consider shrinking it using a grinder. Shouldn't be too hard to shave two sides and end up with a thin rectangle of plastic...
    yep 13...i just use the metal foil tape to make a small tab to use as a lid lifter took 30 sec to make

I took a leather work glove and cut it down so only the thumb, pointer and middle fingers left. Keep it in cook pot. Perfect pot grabber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Journal Entries

Two biggest gripes with the grease pot:

1. No way to grab it
    2. Pouring out of it is horrible

If you hike solo you need to be able to pour it with one hand and hold a freezer bag with the other and not burn the frick out of yourself.

Trust me, it's really not worth the effort or even the $7.
    If you want a wide bottom pot get a titanium one with attached folding handles.

If you cook in the pot using a cozy or such you might be able to make it work for you with the way to grab it. But if you need to pour out of it, good freaking luck.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-24-2018 at 10:49.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    1. No way to grab it
    2. Pouring out of it is horrible. . .
    If you're looking for cheap and light, forget the grease post, heck, I'd thought that had pretty much gone by the way side about three years ago. What in my opinion is a much better and more capable option for even less money is the IMUSA 12 cm aluminum "mug".

It has a handle. It pours nicely due to it's outwardly rolled lip design. The outwardly rolled lip also stays cleaner than the inwardly rolled lip on the grease pot. It can sometimes be found at Walmart. It can always be found on Amazon. You will want to take five minutes and make a lid for it, most people just use heavy aluminum foil from a disposable baking pan or a beverage can. The handle gets hot, so you still want to use a bandana or something to keep from burning yourself when you take if off the stove or out of the fire (unless you coat the handle with something non-heat-conductive). In all a great cheap pot/cup.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

1. No way to grab it
    2. Pouring out of it is horrible

If you hike solo you need to be able to pour it with one hand and hold a freezer bag with the other and not burn the frick out of yourself.

Trust me, it's really not worth the effort or even the $7.
    If you want a wide bottom pot get a titanium one with attached folding handles.

If you cook in the pot using a cozy or such you might be able to make it work for you with the way to grab it. But if you need to pour out of it, good freaking luck.
    i cook for 2 so love the size and we eat out of the pot no need to carry dirty freezer bags...and yes cozy made from refletics

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    If you're looking for cheap and light, forget the grease post, heck, I'd thought that had pretty much gone by the way side about three years ago. What in my opinion is a much better and more capable option for even less money is the IMUSA 12 cm aluminum "mug".

It has a handle. It pours nicely due to it's outwardly rolled lip design. The outwardly rolled lip also stays cleaner than the inwardly rolled lip on the grease pot. It can sometimes be found at Walmart. It can always be found on Amazon. You will want to take five minutes and make a lid for it, most people just use heavy aluminum foil from a disposable baking pan or a beverage can. The handle gets hot, so you still want to use a bandana or something to keep from burning yourself when you take if off the stove or out of the fire (unless you coat the handle with something non-heat-conductive). In all a great cheap pot/cup.
    not sure what grease pot you are talking about the stanco grase pot has an outwardly rolled lip.

not sure what grease pot you are talking about the stanco grase pot has an outwardly rolled lip.
    My Stanco grease pot from a few years ago has an inwardly rolled lip which sucks and has actually be discussed here in the past. I wonder if they changed the lip in recent years.

i cook for 2 so love the size and we eat out of the pot . . .

The IMUSA 12 cm "mug" is listed as 1.25 quarts. It's a decent size for two people in my book, but I don't think it's quite as large as the grease pot. I've never actually directly compared them.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

i cook for 2 so love the size and we eat out of the pot no need to carry dirty freezer bags...and yes cozy made from refletics
    I experimented with a bail made from piece of Aluminum wire. Really light , just drill holes in top edge of pot .

In the end, $59 for a 1.3L evernew new pot for 2p use was some of the best money I ever spent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++