WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Bears may investigate and taste any unusual smell.
    May. Not will.
    No animal behaves 100% predictable.
    My brother and i once had two deer walk up behind us while we were sighting in rifles against a dirt pile . They were 50 yds behind us when we noticed them. Their tracks showed they had walked down the dirt road toward us about 100 yds. They didnt run until they knew we saw them. The shooting didnt alarm them at all, might have attracted them. One had antlers....usually extremely wary.
    yup, curious creatures all. Welcome back Muddy.

Anyone remember the bear found fairly near Springer Mtn. that had O.D.ed on cocaine? True, amazing story from the 80's.

Journal Entries
    Images

Cool For those who DON'T remember it

Quote Originally Posted by bushwhacker88 View Post
    Anyone remember the bear found fairly near Springer Mtn. that had O.D.ed on cocaine? True, amazing story from the 80's.
    Who knew Tony Montana started a thru hike?

That’s some story!

Was it a thru hiking bear from S. America? Can only imagine how that happened if indeed it OD. I've twice seen drops from low flying aircraft in FL?

Knowing some people who know some legal cannabis industry growers none have shared bears are intent on eating the growing plants. And, they certainly give off a strong noticeable cannabis odor as they grow.

Regardless, there certainly are other animals and insects that will eat and/or contaminate dried material and growing plants. It seems best to keep material secured from them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Bears are not attracted to weed. Only humans have have mental/emotional issues which require illegal drugs to treat. Bears do love to kill hippies though

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    Bears are not attracted to weed. Only humans have have mental/emotional issues which require illegal drugs to treat. Bears do love to kill hippies though
    Lighten Up Francis

Images

Anecdotally, I have never had a problem with bears whilst using my herbal supplements. Common sense goes a long way. It's a plant and bears don't generally go out of their way to get at a plant, when there are tons within easier access. The smell from combustion MAY attract interest, but it's not going to be as strong of a curiosity as from jerky or tuna because there is nothing substantially nutritious in the plant material that could create such an odor.

All that being said, ymmv.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Images

Only humans have have mental/emotional issues which require illegal drugs to treat.
    Say that to a cancer patient or a child with severe epilepsy.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

People with severe medical conditions aren't worried about bears stealing their stash.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    ok I have a serious question here ...More particularly in states where some things are legal to smoke ...
    Okay, UNDER STATE LAWS, recreational possession is only currently LEGAL in two AT states, MA and ME. It's been DECRIMINALIZED (civil offense / fine) in MD, NY, CT, VT (legal as of July 1, 2018), and NH. Possession is still a criminal offense, usually a misdemeanor, in GA, NC, TN, VA, WV, and PA. You might want to read up on the potential penalties in different states here http://norml.org/laws

And since the sitting U.S. Attorney General rescinded the Cole memorandum, prosecution under federal law is still possible. Likely for a small quantity? No. But possession is technically illegal everywhere in the U.S., regardless of state laws.

People with severe medical conditions aren't worried about bears stealing their stash.
    Yes we are!

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    Holy crap that was funny...never knew about that. Feel bad for the bear. Man he must have been literally levitating off the ground before he passed with that much coke in his body. I picture him with his eyes bugging out literally bouncing off of trees.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

yea well, only some humans have mental/emotional problems which require them to put others down to feel better about themselves

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Never heard of the cocaine bear. Great article. Poor bear. It may have smelled some of the materials that the coke had been "cut" or mixed with:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v...-is-in-the-cut

Once on the PCT in WA State I had a bear walk into my campsite, stick its nose in each of my pack's pockets which were loaded with food or all kinds, look at me, and walked away. They're totally unpredictable....
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    Problem is those smokables may make you think you have a bear around even if you don't!
    Post of the day...lol.

Hasn't been a Hippie around since about 1975, about the end of the "summer of love" hangover.

Bears are animals that eat everything! From dead animals to a diet rich in a wide variety of plants, including mushrooms, nuts, seeds, berries and other fruits. Many of these flavors and aromas can be easily found in the most popular marijuana strains, this being the main attraction for curious bears. Therefore, it is a good recommendation to keep the weed well stored in a container that does not let the smell escape, otherwise, it is very likely that some bears will be attracted by the aroma of your weed.

^ Wow, that article reads like one of those childish marijuana propaganda things in health class back in high school... with absolutely no research or anything scientifically proven. They even admit in the article they couldn't find anything in their research so that article is nothing more then one persons opinion and it reads like your trying to teach some 10-12 year old.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++