WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Translation: we dont want to waste money protecting them as a separate species

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Translation: we dont want to waste money protecting them as a separate species
    Actually, it’s a good thing. Now that it is not listed as an endangered species it clears the way to build a population using western cougars. See quote below from the article.

“Conservation groups said the decision clears the way for eastern states to rebuild cougar populations in habitats such as the Adirondacks and White Mountains using mountain lions from the U.S. West.”

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Actually, it’s a good thing. Now that it is not listed as an endangered species it clears the way to build a population using western cougars. See quote below from the article.

“Conservation groups said the decision clears the way for eastern states to rebuild cougar populations in habitats such as the Adirondacks and White Mountains using mountain lions from the U.S. West.”
    Also, they might weed out some of the slower hikers!!
    "A man's got to know his limitations"
    Clint Eastwood.

Quote Originally Posted by kibs View Post
    Wouldn't that put hard working bears out of work?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Wouldn't that put hard working bears out of work?
    Might weed out the lazier bears too...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

The big cat or 50 yr old Orlando divorcees?

I think this is too hasty. They just cloned a monkey! In a few years, with some old DNA, they can replicate the subspecies. Sounds kind of scary, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm on a FB forum. Several people on there say they have seen them. Might have seen something else-- still if one is true, they wouldn't be extinct.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ505 View Post
    I'm on a FB forum. Several people on there say they have seen them. Might have seen something else-- still if one is true, they wouldn't be extinct.
    What they have seen is western cougars that traveled long distances, or released cougars. The eastern subspecies is extinct. The Florida subspecies is in danger of extinction.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JJ505 View Post
    1) Western cougars periodically make it into the eastern states. One was killed ten miles from my house that was tracked by multiple DNA matches across the country and back to the Dakotas.

2) People are objectively terrible at accurately identifying objects and animals they've seen and are very often simply FOS. Just as one example, check out how many people were convinced that this healthy bobcat in Northwestern CT was a mountain lion.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...OBCAT-(w-pics)
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    I think this is too hasty. They just cloned a monkey! In a few years, with some old DNA, they can replicate the subspecies. Sounds kind of scary, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I bet they are searching for DNA in amber encased mosquitos. He he.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

“Conservation groups said the decision clears the way for eastern states to rebuild cougar populations in habitats such as the Adirondacks and White Mountains using mountain lions from the U.S. West.

Really? There is a whole lot more still in the way to realizing an east ciast cougar rebuilding program.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    1) Western cougars periodically make it into the eastern states. One was killed ten miles from my house that was tracked by multiple DNA matches across the country and back to the Dakotas.

2) People are objectively terrible at accurately identifying objects and animals they've seen and are very often simply FOS. Just as one example, check out how many people were convinced that this healthy bobcat in Northwestern CT was a mountain lion.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...OBCAT-(w-pics)
    If a person wants it to be a cougar, it must be one.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by kibs View Post

Might not. Faster hikers look like fleeing prey!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    “Conservation groups said the decision clears the way for eastern states to rebuild cougar populations in habitats such as the Adirondacks and White Mountains using mountain lions from the U.S. West.

Really? There is a whole lot more still in the way to realizing an east ciast cougar rebuilding program.

While there may be many obstacles in the way of building a population of cougars in the east, at least the Endangered Species Act is no longer one of them.

I have a cougar that lives three doors down from me here in the east and I'm the first to admit she makes me nervous when she stares at me cutting grass in the summer. I've taken to wearing long pants for my safety!

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I shudder whenever I hear plans about introducing some species where it doesn't exist. These scientists need to leave things alone sometimes, as their plans often have long term consequences they fail to account for. You also have groups pushing to reintroduce grizzlys in California.
    It is what it is.

I shudder whenever I hear plans about removing some species where it exists. These scientists need to leave things alone sometimes, as their plans often have long term consequences they fail to account for. You also have groups pushing to exterminate grizzlys from California.

Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    I have a cougar that lives three doors down from me here in the east and I'm the first to admit she makes me nervous when she stares at me cutting grass in the summer. I've taken to wearing long pants for my safety!
    Well it sounds like you can now go after her if you want since she's no longer protected.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++