WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default NOBO starting early May - what should I know?

Hello all,

I am planning on doing a NOBO thru-hike starting somewhere between May 2-9 (depending on when my last college final is). I have little time until (until November 5) I have to be in Arizona to start my new job. As such, I'm going to be averaging some big miles and taking few zeros and more neros.

I do plan on buying all ultralight gear since otherwise I won't be able to do a thru-hike comfortably given my time constraints. I'm looking at the Thermarest Z Lite Sol sleeping pad (14 oz) Enlightened Equipment 20 degree down quilt (21.19 oz as configured), Zpacks Arc Blast pack (20.5 oz), and Zpacks Duplex tent (22 oz) putting me in at around 4.85 pounds for my main gear.

Is there anything you would warn me about with these circumstances? Or do you have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

I'd say you have plenty of time...May to November is 6 months. That averages around 12 miles a day

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I'd say you have plenty of time...May to November is 6 months. That averages around 12 miles a day
    Would need to get done by mid-October though as Katahdin closes then. I'm going to plan to get done by September 30 so I have something of a safety buffer built into my plans. That's still around five months though!

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Would need to get done by mid-October though as Katahdin closes then. I'm going to plan to get done by September 30 so I have something of a safety buffer built into my plans. That's still around five months though!

ditto ... plenty of time ... 5 months is considered "average"

My only other suggestion is to try and get out and actually use the new gear to make sure it works for you ... before you get on the trail and have to swap something out on the way....

Starting early May, I wouldn't worry about time. Some days you'll want to knock out a ton of miles "just because" and some you won't. I made it the entire length in 132 days and didn't really rush, that was pretty much getting my lazy butt off the couch and going, too. I didn't have a specific time frame and I got to see and enjoy everything I wanted to. Take your time, you can always make up time on the rainy, feeling down, or really motivated days. Sometimes there's just not much to see for days so you'll get ahead there as well. This will all save you some time on the good sections where you want to take longer breaks and see things. Check your gear, but don't get too obsessed with it. Go as light as you think you can and believe it or not, it'll get lighter along the way (you will too). Good luck!
    - Trail name: Thumper

You have plenty of time. I left mid to late April with a 25lb base carrying close to 40 lbs and finished in August. Weather won’t be a problem and if you’re in anything close to shape it should take 5 months max. I took 22 zeros too. Take your time. After a month your mileage will have you finishing in plenty of time.

I started April 28, 2013 and finished Oct. 12, 2013. I was 34 years old and out of shape (30 lbs overweight) when I started. YOU WILL BE FINE. Do not listen to the people who say "you'll never make it" or "you need to flip-flop." Katahdin does not "close" on Oct. 15. Rather, Oct. 15 is the last day for hikers to camp overnight in Baxter State Park. You can camp outside the park or shuttle into the park after Oct. 15 to summit Katahdin (weather permitting). I thru hiked with several people who climbed Katahdin in November, so don't worry about not being able to finish. The reality is that you will be a young college graduate with all the cartilage in your knees, so you will be able to finish in about 5 months time. Enjoy the adventure!

Biggest issue is hot weather and lack of water sources. Some of the ridgeline shelters sources will be scarce or non existent. There is usually water down in the valleys but they may not line up with the shelters that are usually up on the ridges

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Biggest issue is hot weather and lack of water sources. Some of the ridgeline shelters sources will be scarce or non existent. There is usually water down in the valleys but they may not line up with the shelters that are usually up on the ridges
    Is there any way I can find out where water is scarce in advance? Those considerations make it more precarious, as water is definitely of utmost importance when the weather is so hot.

I wouldn't wirry about water too much, but definitely keep an eye on it, especially if you're a heavy water drinker. I carried a liter at most. When you know you're getting close to camp (shelter or wherever) stock up. You can also check the comments on Guthooks and also everyone else is in the same boat and will be talking about if there's water or not/how far/etc... Up North, you'll run into spots that are farther apart then the Southern end.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by sadlowskiadam View Post
    I started April 28, 2013 and finished Oct. 12, 2013. I was 34 years old and out of shape (30 lbs overweight) when I started. YOU WILL BE FINE. Do not listen to the people who say "you'll never make it" or "you need to flip-flop." Katahdin does not "close" on Oct. 15. Rather, Oct. 15 is the last day for hikers to camp overnight in Baxter State Park. You can camp outside the park or shuttle into the park after Oct. 15 to summit Katahdin (weather permitting). I thru hiked with several people who climbed Katahdin in November, so don't worry about not being able to finish. The reality is that you will be a young college graduate with all the cartilage in your knees, so you will be able to finish in about 5 months time. Enjoy the adventure!
    Sadlow said it perfect. You will be fine. 5 months is Avg hike. BTW: Plenty of people summit Katahdin in November ever year.

++ New Posts ++