WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default My kitchen for 2018. Critique it for me.

Korea spider, inverted canister seems to be more fuel efficient when paired with a true windscreen
    Pocket Rocket 2 is lighter, but less efficient.

Evernew Ultralight 900 pot
    mylar bag as pot cozy
    Myog Antigravity Gear cup

Toaks long-spoon

MSR coffee thingy

bic lighter

3FC766AC-A71E-46D7-A493-24DDFF9D608D.jpeg

Images

Weighs 17 ounces without fuel.

Images

Why?
    I got PR2 and used it for several trips in all weather with Toaks 550 pot/cozy. I even had canister in cozy with warm water in the <20 degree temps, using sitpad as wind block. Too much fiddle factor.
    I like kovea. It is well made and works good enough.

900 pot. Coffee and oats in one boil. Faster I like eating out of pot better than bag these days. I must be more sophisticated than I used to be.

long spoon. Cause everyone else does.

full size lighter. Easier to use.

mylar bag. Works as good as a cozy and is less bulk, easier to clean. Can replace with chip bag on trail.

wind screen. I sleep on my pad and I don’t like to use it as a cook system item. I’m not going to build a rock cairn every time. Want to cook in wind. Too lazy.

Antigravity gear cup. Drink coffee and eat from pot. Cozy and lid keeps coffee warm longer. Sometimes I throw my oats in here with water, put it food bag, hang it and let it soak overnight. Then I don’t have to heat water for oats in the morning.
    I also drink tea for lunch or at night out of this cup.

the msr coffee strainer was long over due. I should have gotten one of these 20 years ago.

Sounds like you found what you like and what you don't like, and have made yourself the perfect kit for that.

Why would you need a critique on what works for you? You've already stated that you're aware of lighter options, but prefer to use blah blah blah.

In short:
    Your kit is perfect. For you. Enjoy

Journal Entries

High Efficiency with a canister is a double edged sword. Yes you can go further without resupply, however you will be traveling heavier. For a quick trip, well within the capacity of one small canister a inefficient stove is lighter as it will use fuel more quickly, thus less fuel carried if you are starting with a full canister.

Greater efficiency comes into play if you want to go as long as possible before getting a new one, but usually us heavier all around (heavier stove, or pot with heat exchanger, less fuel burned per meal = more weight carried)

I agree... it's heavy and wouldn't be my choice, but if you're happy with it and don't mind the weight then a critique isn't necessary.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Sounds like you found what you like and what you don't like, and have made yourself the perfect kit for that.

Why would you need a critique on what works for you? You've already stated that you're aware of lighter options, but prefer to use blah blah blah.

In short:
    Your kit is perfect. For you. Enjoy
    I was lonely this morning. Haha. No, I keep going back and forth on the setup. I want my lighter setup, but I love the one I posted for its ease and obvious luxury.
    i just don’t really want to send home a bunch of stuff and swap out. But, it is an option.

but, yes you are right. Why did I post this? Don’t know, really. Just trying to justify the weight.

Images

My other option is Pocket Rocket 2, toaks 550 with cozy, and toaks 375 as my cup. Saves a good deal of weight. I can measure it to see what the difference is.
    I am over alc for a while. Made em all, used em all. Fiddle, measure, refill, cook some more. I want simple for a while. Dang gravity is making it hard.

Images

I have a short spoon.

Where did u get the mylar bag? Freebie from a flower gift shop. I preferably want a UL mesh bag that doesnt fall apart from getting ripped like the snow peak solo I've been using to store a cook pot for umpteen years

Help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DrL View Post
    I have a short spoon.
    Bahaha.

Your kit "could" be lighter. But unless your willing to give up some function then probably not much lighter.

Evernew pot 900ml 4oz
    MSR Titan Mug 2 oz
    Spoon .5oz
    Litemax stove 2 oz

8.5 ounces.

I cook in my pot.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Images

The Myles bag —- It was an older RuffWear water bag that I had never used. It is thick Mylar. I just cut one end off it so I can slide my pot in. A 2.5 serving Mountain House might work similarly. It works as good as a pot cozy, without the bulk. It is thicker than an MH bag and bigger. Weighs 1 ounce.

My set-up:
    BRS 3000T stove (1 ounce)
    Aluminum pot with "cup" lid (8 ounce)
    Human Gear Bites Duo (fork and spoon connect to make one long spoon or fork and spoon is designed to be used as a pot scraper) (.75 ounce)
    The standard canister, bandana and Bic lighter
    I will use my sit pad as a wind break when needed. Weighs about 11 ounces + canister weight.

Quote Originally Posted by hootyhoo View Post
    I was lonely this morning. Haha. No, I keep going back and forth on the setup. I want my lighter setup, but I love the one I posted for its ease and obvious luxury.
    i just don’t really want to send home a bunch of stuff and swap out. But, it is an option.

but, yes you are right. Why did I post this? Don’t know, really. Just trying to justify the weight.
    The thing is...

You'll always be on the quest for a better system. What works in the beginning of your hike might not be what works towards the end. That doesn't mean you didn't start with the right kit.

Swap out if you feel the need to.

I carry a short wide pot and a separate mug. I'd probably switch over to just a Mug/pot but using a 900ml pot as a mug is awkward. It's also easier to cook in, eat out of, and clean a short wide pot.

Carrying a mug also opens up more possibilities in the kitchen. I carry an MSR Titan Mug. Also use it as a water scoop. Great for collecting blueberries. It's metal so I can put in over heat too. I can make gravy in that and then pour that over my mashed potatoes. Gourmet cookin!

But the OCD in me knows I could just get by with one mug/pot.. it's not just a weight penalty though. I lose some luxuries.

I much prefer cooking and eating out of my pot than freezer bag cooking.

I haven't met too many people who enjoy freezer bag cooking long term.

And a no cook food plan is gaining popularity but I don't think it'll work for everyone long term. I think that's gonna be real popular on the trail this year. I'm not sharing any hot water lol... I sometimes go no cook.. for a day or two. But still have my cooking gear. I use it when I don't have an appetite for hot food.

Cold soaking works. But it sounds unsanitary to an extent depending on what kind of container you use. I feel better boiling water in my pot before cooking food in it.

Thru hiking is not all about shedding every last ounce of packweight. I always say get that pack weight down and then add back a pound of luxury.

This could mean a slightly warmer bag, inflatable mattress, mug, bigger pot, warmer hat, etc.

The people out there who crush miles enjoy a really light pack. The people out there who hike all day but enjoy the finer things in life... Carry a little more weight.

A minimalistic/light kit does make hiking more enjoyable. But just a tad more weight makes thru hiking months on end even more enjoyable.

The people you see running around the country with 6lb packs are aliens. Not the norm. Don't think you have to be like them. Just because they enjoy being a minimalist doesn't mean you will.

Once again... We're talking a 1lb difference.

Ease of use and comfort/luxury have a lot more merit on a long hike than people give them credit for. Weight is NOT the only consideration.

Bring which one you enjoy using more. It's light enough.

You prob have other equipment that you could find a better/lighter solution for.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hootyhoo View Post
    Korea spider, inverted canister seems to be more fuel efficient when paired with a true windscreen
    Pocket Rocket 2 is lighter, but less efficient.

Evernew Ultralight 900 pot
    mylar bag as pot cozy
    Myog Antigravity Gear cup

Toaks long-spoon

MSR coffee thingy

bic lighter

Weighs 17 ounces without fuel.

my .02 heavy

i would go with a lighter stove (efficiency is unnecessary when town is only a few days away) , ditch the coffee thingy (instant is fine), use a mini bic, and 900 ml is a big pot for one. <-- this is all assuming a thru hike kit is what you are after. if just for weekends or for a section go for it, but if i gotta carry it for 5-6 months its going to be as light as i can stand...

Images

I'm of the opinion (a recent development for me at least) that cook kits require as much trip-specific-adaptation as does clothing.

Stove/fuel - depending on the duration of the trip, solo/group, fire danger rating, etc
    Mug/cup/water bottle - spring/fall/summer, cook/no-cook breakfast
    Eggs - am I camping or am I crushing miles
    Etc.

A kitchen that will satisfy you is a personal matter. Personally, I want to be able to make pancakes for breakfast and fresh Alfredo sauce for supper, and I've got a kitchen setup that will facilitate those goals. YMMV.

++ New Posts ++