WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: June in Maine

Default June in Maine

Hello again all,

Just wanted to get something straight, should I expect cold weather in Maine during the month of June or will it be fairly warm around this time (that is, is it usually fairly warm or fairly cold during June)?

Just not sure what to bring in terms of cold weather/warm weather apparel to begin my hike.

Journal Entries

Considering that the AT up Katahdin doesn't even open up to hikers until late May/early June because of SNOW, I'd suggest to prepare for some cold weather and frigid water.

Quote Originally Posted by lukejmills View Post
    Hello again all,

Just wanted to get something straight, should I expect cold weather in Maine during the month of June or will it be fairly warm around this time (that is, is it usually fairly warm or fairly cold during June)?

Just not sure what to bring in terms of cold weather/warm weather apparel to begin my hike.
    You will still encounter snow in June, but the bigger problem will be the black flies. May to June is black fly season in Maine. Be sure to take a head net.
    Shutterbug

There could still be some left over snow in shady areas on the summits in early June. BSPs usual problem is the park road is used by snowmachines in the winter and they tend to build up ice on top of the road making it take a quite awhile for the roads to melt off and dry out under the dense canopy. The weather patterns are still moving around that time of year and it means more frequent changes in weather. Up on the ridges is can get into the high 30s at night. Biggest hassle is the water can be cold and when it rains the vegetation does not absorb it as quickly so stream levels can vary substantially after a rainy day. Black flies love spring rains and will be apparent in droves. Full bug gear is mandatory including netting on your tent or hammock. Lean to reservations are not a great idea at katahdin, far better off in tent.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I must have been born under a lucky star... I have hiked Maine in both May and June and never encountered cold or black flies. I did encounter rain almost everyday in June.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    ... Lean to reservations are not a great idea at katahdin, far better off in tent.
    If you can get a spot. There's no bootleg camping in Baxter.

Far more tent spots to reserve at KSC than Lean tos. My point was many folks accidentally book lean tos during black fly season and that is not a great idea

Not to worry about cold because we often close the whole state during June for blackfky season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Baldpate was really cold and wet last July. And there was even some snow in spots inside the Mahousic Notch.

Mahousuc notch holds snow well into August. It adds to the fun and really doesn't impede passage. There are couple of snow fields in the whites that can hang around into June and in some years July. One of the them is on the AT just south of Edmunds Col.

FYI the climate in the region has warmed substantially and the seasons are kicking in 2 to 4 weeks earlier than 20 years ago. When I moved to the whites in 1987 there were years where I would carry snow shoes until Memorial Day as some of the shaded spots up high would hold snow until June. One year I went on a hike and ended up having to posthole in 4 to 6 feet of thawing snow for about a mile of trail. This has not been the case for 15 plus years. Blame it on sunspots/AGW/ alien influence but the climate is warming up locally. One of the impacts of climate change is there is more energy in the atmosphere and that means bigger swings between warm and cold and most weather events in general. When it rains it rains harder and when the jet stream moves it moves more. This leads to more variable weather.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 01-30-2018 at 10:09.

Quote Originally Posted by lukejmills View Post
    Hello again all,

So how long will you be out? You’ve got to be ready for cold rain. Last July 15th I was hit with hard rain and heavy sleet. I would suggest full rain gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I suspect another early spring, as has been the trend. The only question is how rainy will it be. Last year it rained a lot in June but that doesn't mean anything. Early on you might get some pretty chilly mornings, but doubt it will last long. Comfortable at 50, tolerable at 40 and survivable at 30 should work.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    So how long will you be out? You’ve got to be ready for cold rain. Last July 15th I was hit with hard rain and heavy sleet. I would suggest full rain gear.
    Planned on starting a SOBO on June 1st from Kathadin.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Mahousuc notch holds snow well into August. It adds to the fun and really doesn't impede passage. There are couple of snow fields in the whites that can hang around into June and in some years July. One of the them is on the AT just south of Edmunds Col.

FYI the climate in the region has warmed substantially and the seasons are kicking in 2 to 4 weeks earlier than 20 years ago. When I moved to the whites in 1987 there were years where I would carry snow shoes until Memorial Day as some of the shaded spots up high would hold snow until June. One year I went on a hike and ended up having to posthole in 4 to 6 feet of thawing snow for about a mile of trail. This has not been the case for 15 plus years. Blame it on sunspots/AGW/ alien influence but the climate is warming up locally. One of the impacts of climate change is there is more energy in the atmosphere and that means bigger swings between warm and cold and most weather events in general. When it rains it rains harder and when the jet stream move it moves more. This lead to more variable weather.
    Despite the fact that it sort of benefits me (the warmth, not the big swings b/t warm and cold), that's quite sad to hear.

Thanks for the valuable information though, nonetheless!

++ New Posts ++