WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pack Rain covers

Recently purchased a new Osprey Exos 58 pack, Now need a rain cover for it.
    My question is--would you spend more by getting one that is specific to this Osprey pack or would you just look for pretty much any rain cover at a reduced price?
    Is there really all that much difference in the quality or material they use?

Quote Originally Posted by tawa View Post
    My question is--would you spend more by getting one that is specific to this Osprey pack or would you just look for pretty much any rain cover at a reduced price?
    I like the Osprey cover. The quality is good, it is lighter than some, and competitive with the REI covers. My wife has an Osprey cover even though she doesn't have an Osprey pack.

Either way will work fine. If you do go to a store to purchase one. Pack your pack and bring it with you so you can try them out for fit.

Pack covers are a waste, they won’t keep your pack dry in anything harder than a drizzle. The water is gonna run down your back and soak the pack from behind. Line your pack with a compactor bag instead, or use a rain poncho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I use a compactor bag as a liner in my ULA Circuit and a zPacks rain cover. The reason for the rain cover is to avoid the pack becoming totally waterlogged which makes it heavier and a sopping mess if I want to keep it in my tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I use a compactor bag as a liner in my ULA Circuit and a zPacks rain cover. The reason for the rain cover is to avoid the pack becoming totally waterlogged which makes it heavier and a sopping mess if I want to keep it in my tent.
    Yep, pack cover can definitely help keep the pack from becoming water logged. The cover also provides a place to unload gear onto when the ground is wet. It also helps to keep water out of the pack when it decides to start to shower about midnight and your mostly empty pack is outside.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Second on the rain poncho comment; I use the Cuben Fiber rain poncho from MLD. Covers the pack and provides good protection from the rain. Unless you're getting torrential downpours on the regular, or spending a lot of time off the trail in heavy bush, I'd highly recommend it.

First post btw... sup

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Pack covers are a waste, they won’t keep your pack dry in anything harder than a drizzle. The water is gonna run down your back and soak the pack from behind. Line your pack with a compactor bag instead, or use a rain poncho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    +1....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tawa View Post
    I had an Exos 58 and started out with a generic rain cover. I think it was Sea to Summit. I didn't like the way it fit. Switched to a Osprey and was very happy with it. I don't think there was much difference in weight, just price. Still have the rain cover. Don't have the pack.
    More walking, less talking.

The Pack Cover made for the specific Pack, usually fits a little better. However, Other Pack covers allow you to choose color, material and ultimately the weight of the pack cover. Of course, all of this is figured into the price. If weight is your biggest factor, look at Dutchware.com or Z Packs. I went with Dutch for my ULA Ohm 2.0 because it was actually cheaper and lighter than the ULA Options. Plus, I chose Blaze Orange for Hunting season. I previously had a Camo Cover that I sold quickly after posting it. You could say the Camo really dissappeared. Back to your question, yes materials are different and weigh different so make sure you compare. I found that cheaper actually was better for me, because I am sure the material was scrape material from tarps, repurposed for another use. Sorry I am wordy!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Pack covers have their place. Zpac makes some cuben ones that are reasonably priced and very light and compact. Make sure you secure the cover to the pack or the tree branches will remove it for you.

If you get one built for your pack it may not cover well if you have anything on the outside of it. I went bigger to cover my sleep pad and other items that are not in my pack. Plan on your stuff getting wet without a liner.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yep, pack cover can definitely help keep the pack from becoming water logged. The cover also provides a place to unload gear onto when the ground is wet. It also helps to keep water out of the pack when it decides to start to shower about midnight and your mostly empty pack is outside.
    as slo-go'en said .....multi-purpose it.

IMG_3109.JPG

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Yep, this. Unless you have a cuben fiber pack, get an appropriate sized zpacks Cuben pack cover, ultralight, first line of rain defense, and use that liner to keep pack contents dry.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

... or just get a Packa that protects the entire pack including shoulder straps and hip belt and is also your rain gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am not young enough to know everything.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I figured since I'm carrying stuff sacks anyway I might as well buy waterproof ones (Sea to Summit UL dry bags).
    One each for food, sleeping bag and clothes. My stuff stays dry.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I have tried using a generic Walmart pack cover, and it was almost worthless.
    I like the concept of the packa.
    Last June, in warm weather, I used my frogg togg jacket over my pack so the pack didn't get water logged. I wasn't worried about myself getting wet; I wear quick dry clothing and again, the weather was warm - no danger of hypothermia.
    I draped it over the pack and tied the arms around the pack, then put the hood over my head after I put the backpack on again.
    If the weather turns cold, I use the Toggs as my outer layer... I like multitasking equipment if possible. Sometimes I've even worn the Toggs as a rain suit! Lol
    This probably violates ultralight ideology, but I try to keep everything that NEEDS to stay dry in a waterproof bag inside the backpack, so keeping the pack itself dry is not imperative.
    I've seen lots of hikers use trash compactor bags as pack liners.
    I've been told that the roll top Hyperlite packs are completely waterproof...
    Eventually, if you're out during a multiple day rain event, everything will be wet or damp anyway. Try to have enough layers to survive if it's cold.

In 50 years of backpacking in all kinds of weather I have never used a pack cover, or missed having one. I use a poncho, or now, a Packa. Things that must stay dry get bagged up.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

yes, I agree with a lot of other people. Rain covers don't work that well. Use a poncho for real hard rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    In 50 years of backpacking in all kinds of weather I have never used a pack cover, or missed having one. I use a poncho, or now, a Packa. Things that must stay dry get bagged up.
    ditto (on the 50 yrs and no cover) ... my pack is waterproofed ... personally I wouldn't buy a pack that needed a cover. I do use waterproof bags internally, but mostly that is for unloading and not having to worry about wet ground....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++