WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    I didn't find the option available at Zpacks, but if your Hexamid set-up is a 360 floorless pryamid tarp/fly with fully independent inner tent (zippered door, bath-tub floor), like that of SixMoonDesigns and MountainLaurelDesigns, then I recommend you give it try as the interior modularity has lots of advantages over traditional tents.

I personally keep my inner tent collapsed, except for sleeping (still have a creepy crawly phobia while obliviously asleep) - no problem for me clipping the 4 corners from inside the zipped fly, and for the peak clip, just sit inside the open door of the inner tent, and then raise/clip the peak...

Keeping the inner tent collapsed while awake provides a lot more interior room and folding back the footprint to various degrees allows you freely vary clean/dirty floorspace so you can leave muddy shoes on while liying down, create a giant interior cooking space, set-up a low camp chair, and even dig an indoor cathole latrine. Lastly, and my favorite 'feature,' is that with a generous peak vent, and door latched open, it becomes a ~95% bug-free haven without needing to zip through doors, or remove boots (although in horrendous mosquito conditions, the inner tent will be required). I now find that fixed floor/door shelters are better at keeping me out, then the bugs out.
    I have a Zpacks Hexamid solo tarp. Paired with a six moon designs Serenity bug shelter.

Weighs 16.9 ounces with lawson glowire (2.3mm cord) over ultralight Zpacks line attached. I also added two stick on loops on the inside of the tarp and changed the way to secure the storm doors when not in use. I couldn't get the toggle in/out of the small non stretchy loop with gloves. So I added a small piece of shock cord loop. Much easier to use for me.

I want to make my own serenity type shelter made of cuben and ultralight bug netting. I don't see why I couldnt cut this 3-4 ounces off of it using different materials.

Double wall shelter for about 13-14 ounces? Yes please.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Koozy View Post
    The Lightheart Gear Solong 6 was easy to setup in sudden downpours. The tent is all one piece (i.e., the fly is attached) and I would throw all of my gear inside then set my trekking poles in place. The only inconvenient part was having to set 4 stakes at the exterior corners of the tent, so I'd either have to set these up before I got in the tent, or after i set up my poles and placed my gear within the tent. Either way, the Solong 6 and Solo are very quick and easy to set up.
    My friend bought a Solong 6, after he got tent envy from watching me set up my Tarptent Notch quickly in the rain. On the Solong 6, you can set the stakes and then pretty much crawl inside before it's even up, and finish setting the internal poles. Lots of space in the Solong 6 as well.

how does the zpacks duplex do? I just bought one but haven't had the chance to use it yet. Seems like if the doors are tied closed when taking down, that it would stay fairly dry setting up....

I like them ones ya pull out of the bag, drop it like it’s hot and the thing springs into action like a can of joke snakes and sets its self up.

Tarptent Double Rainbow! Insert single pole and then stake corners and fly!

Duomid. Stake corners, insert pole.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Duomid. Stake corners, insert pole.
    Ditto trekking pole supported TarpTent models.
    Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++