Default Where should I start?

Hallo hikers!
    My name is Kat from Germany. Since I first heard of the long distance trails I dream of hiking at least one of them. Unfortunately my time frame won't allow to do the PCT as a Thru Hike.
    I am a teacher and employed by the state. Therefore I can do a year long sabbatical in 2019 without loosing my job or any benefits but I am bound by the school year dates.
    But I want to do at least part of the trail. If I start in the middle of July and got 2,5 month, which sections would you recommend? I could fly to LA or San Francisco easily from here and drive north by bus I guess?!
    Any suggestions would be very much appreciated 😁
    Thank you!🖖

Middle of July? I'd start at Kennedy Meadows. The first few days might be a bit warm, though.

Willkommen!

Many people take 2 months to hike through the states of Oregon and Washington to the Canadian border. In mid-July there will be other hikers there as well. You could start at the city of Ashland and hike north. If you are more interested in the bigger mountains, you could hike through the Sierras, and walk as far north as you can in the 10 weeks (perhaps 2000 km?), then take a bus back. San Francisco would be a good city to fly in and out of, fairly central to northern California.

GAME 06

My vote would be to go north from Kennedy Meadows as well.

If you are coming all that way you want to see the best part of the trail.

If that is your choice try and arrive in pretty good physical condition as that would be a hard place to start if you are not ready for it.

Starting NOBO at Kennedy Meadows would be my vote as well. You've got to get the JMT into your plan somehow!

Thank you for your replies. My first idea was to do the JMT because I wanted to do at least some part of the trail. But then I got it in my head to do as much of the trail as possible during my 90 day VISA and maybe do the second part next spring/summer in another three month. But everything depends on how much I like the Thru Hikers life. If I do like it I got my eye set on the Te Araroa in New Zealand because that one fits my time frame exactly. 🙈

Vaguely planning similar, I'm thinking about starting at (or near) Lake Isabella, instead of Kennedy Meadows.
    Not sure what the locals would think about it, but going from the map it might be way easier to get to by public transport, and you might develope some special PCT skills and hikers legs along the foothills until you get to Kennedy Meadows where the real mountains begin.
    San Francisco might make a nicer welcome than LA, I think.

GAME 06

Leo

There is bus service to many of the nearby towns where the PCT crosses roads. You might just need to fly to the big city closest to where you want to start and then make onward arrangements by bus. It will be a bit of a pain but you can do it.

For instance there is bus service to Lone Pine, Lake Isabella and lots of others places.

There's now a Kern County bus stop at Walker Pass.
    http://kerntransit.org/news/public-t...c-crest-trail/

Mid July can be very hot at Walker Pass, especially compared to Germany, but it's only a few days to Kennedy Meadows from there.

++ New Posts ++