Default NOBO 2019 - yes, you’re rue reading that right

Hello everyone!
    Having just decided two weeks ago, I’m planning a mid-April 2019 NOBO. Yes, I know it’s more than a year away, but there are a couple reasons why I have to start now:
    Firstly, I live at the moment in Ottawa Canada, but in one month my hubby and I are moving 8 hours north to an off grid property. Always been my dream to live off grid. Being off grid means I won’t have access to stores and depending on mail can be costly...especially for items coming from the US because I get killed on currency and shipping charges.
    In Ottawa, we have a store similar to REI - called MEC...but also a number of other outdoor stores.
    Second reason I need to plan now, is hubby and I will drive to Georgia next year...about a 23 hour drive. Way easier than having to deal with checked bags...plus we have family in NC and FL.

Anyhow, as an avid solo backpacker with years experience, I have all my gear - tent, backpack, water needs, cooking etc all figured out. Where I’m sketchy and need help, is clothing.
    I’d love some critique, suggestions as to what I need...as I’ll be heading to buy these items over the next month. This summer will see me doing practice hikes with the exact gear I’ll use next year.

While hiking:
    Trail runners - never worn them before, but I like that they’re lighter. Not worried that they’re not waterproof, but not clunky like hiking boots. Maybe boots once I get further north??
    Sports bra synthetic?
    Underwear - lol...non negotiable! Synthetic?
    Hiking shorts - short shorts? Capri like? Or pants?
    Socks
    Hat - I’ve always worn ball caps, but I read I’ll sweat more, and they don’t provide adequate protection when it rains. I do wear glasses...nothing worse that glasses that need constant wiping.
    Tshirt?

Clothing in my backpack
    Merino wool baselayers for at night if needed
    2 pairs socks
    2 pairs underwear
    Long sleeve shirt
    Pair of pants if not worn hiking
    Rain/wind jacket
    Crocs (ugh)...but I read they’re great for around camp and water crossings
    Gloves?

Obviously I don’t want to carry too much clothing....considering there are many places along the trail to do a quick laundry.

Thanks ladies

Images

IMO - I'm from Maine and have been very successful section hiking Maine and NH in trail runners. Once I left the boots behind and switched to trail runners never looked back. Fewer foot issues, lighter weight, I found actually easier maneuvering the rocks and roots of Maine as my boots often got caught between rocks where the trail runners didn't. I started my 2017 thru hike attempt with trail runners and was happy, (had to leave the trail for death in family). Looking to retry in 2019. I hiked in a skirt wearing merino wool undies - short style - happy with that choice (2 pair). Had a rain skirt that came mid calf and liked that very much over rain pants, light weight easy and quick to put on and off without dragging dirty shoes thru rain pants or trying to take off shoes and balance on one foot. Crocs or similar shoe for in camp or break from hiking shoes nice, also good for water crossings. t-shirt I suggest merino wool, I got 2 at Cabela's on sale very reasonable. Another thing I loved!!! especially with my trail runners were Dirty Girl gators. They really help keep the small debris out of my shoes while hiking. For cold weather either at start or end you may want a winter hat, slept in mine cooler nights or when hair wet to prevent chilling while sleeping. Good luck and enjoy your hike.

Yay more Canadians!
    I started the trail in boots and switched to trail runners(altra) for the rest of the trail. They worked great except for northern Pennsylvania, the rocks are nasty. I wore a wool sports bra from icebreaker and it held up great with no smell or chafing. As for bottoms I wore shorts the entire way. The only reason to bring pants is either your sensitive to cold (I'm not) or to keep mosquitoes at bay.
    Crocs nowadays aren't the lightest option for camp shoes, so don't feel like you need them. My pair of teva flip flops are half the weight as crocs.
    Make sure the gloves you pick are waterproof for the spring. When its raining you don't want your hands to go numb. It makes setting up camp difficult.

Ty Kizzybean and Zendoutsu...really appreciate your advice.
    While I’ve hiked in all kinds of weather, never have I hiked where you go from one season to the next. I’ve been watching a lot of vlog of hikers who’ve started already. While I doubt I want to begin in Jan/Feb...I’m thinking of starting mid March of next year.
    I’ve purchased a couple pairs of lightweight trail runners...will be breaking in both pairs this summer.
    Great idea about the gaiters...I’ve ordered the dirty girl ones. Nothing worse than losing your hiking momentum, having to stop and pick out a pebble.
    I hadn’t considered waterpfoof gloves, but a good idea for sure.

We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

Forgot to mention, was able to pick up a couple pairs of ExOfficio Women's Give-N-Go Underwear + sports bra for a great price on Massdrop.
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

Let's keep in touch - I want to hike the AT while my NON-hiker partner is out of town. I have completed S-N past Blood Mountain on another trip. I could meet up for y'all for the Smokies, and we could play car-tag northbound for re-supply points. Please keep me posted so I can bid for vacation time appropriately! Cheers!

Let's keep in touch - I want to hike the AT while my NON-hiker partner is out of town. I have completed S-N past Blood Mountain on another trip. I could meet up for y'all for the Smokies, and we could play car-tag northbound for re-supply points. Please keep us posted here, I can then bid for vacation time appropriately! Cheers!

Best to you!

Ill second the marino baselayer for sleep, also some dedicated sleep socks, not tight and also made of wool. This made my February and April hikes in ga much more pleasant. Trail runners work for me, I rotate between different Altra styles. Ininji toe socks have helped prevent between tihe toe blisters. Would suggest rain or wind pants for early start, worn with sleep pants they are comfy through the cold sleet while hiking. Knock off crocs from internet are lighter, do the same job, and are cheaper, therefor less regret if dumped in hiker box. Try to keep base weight low of course. Best to you again,

++ New Posts ++