WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    This thread is borderline stupid! I'm assuming we're all old enough and hopefully smart enough to make our own decisions! However I can't figure how it went from filtering water to condemning the flu shot or prescription meds! Sure some people have reactions to the flu shot and some die from prescription drug but the drugs are usually pain meds that some people need for pain and some that just like the way it makes them feel. As for myself I will continue to filter all water, get my flu shot every year and take the meds I need to continue living.
    Yep, this one has gone ridiculous. Cabin Fever perhaps? Looks like a harsh winter back east.... better times ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yep, this one has gone ridiculous. Cabin Fever perhaps? Looks like a harsh winter back east.... better times ahead!
    Mainer reporting in, surprisingly this winter hasn't been much of anything.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Good links— there is a lot there.

After reading a few studies of how common Giardia is in backcountry water sources (Yikes!) I pondered the question as to how common it is coming out of the tap in my kitchen.

A quick google did not provide answers I was looking for, but I did find studies for other countries, including this one for Canada:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC168064/

With Giardia in 18.2% of the samples take from our northern neighbor’s treated tap water, there might be a good business opportunity for some enterprising sort to sell Sawyer Minis at the boarder, eh?
    Last edited by rickb; 02-10-2018 at 10:37.

I know very few of us go out for 3 weeks at a time, but I think we can all learn vicariously from his experience doing these long unsupported treks.

I just see no reason to filter Walter.

[And don't get me started about violins on television.]

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post

I just see no reason to filter Walter.
    Might clog the filter anyway....

i've never filtered or had a flu shot or use leki poles. i'm doin' it all wrong

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    With Giardia in 18.2% of the samples take from our northern neighbor’s treated tap water, there might be a good business opportunity for some enterprising sort to sell Sawyer Minis at the boarder, eh?
    Of course there’s the viability factor, but it’s still surprising. I guess that’s why usually filtration plus a 4-log reduction treatment rule is in effect for city water.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yep, this one has gone ridiculous. !
    Maybe. It did make me ponder some things I’ve been told are good for me.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Maybe. It did make me ponder some things I’ve been told are good for me.
    Like taking advice from the internet?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Like taking advice from the internet?

Yep

After seeing a friend get giardia, I am purifying every questionable water source unless proven otherwise

Hand washing is far more important than filtering.

Quote Originally Posted by wordstew View Post
    Hand washing is far more important than filtering.
    That's oft-repeated belief, but there is no good scientific data showing it's true. “Medical risks of wilderness hiking" which studied 334 AT hikers found that treating water was much more important. (Both are important regardless.) As far as I know 100% of CDC verified backcountry giardiasis outbreaks have been traced to water. More: http://bucktrack.com/water.html

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    That's oft-repeated belief, but there is no good scientific data showing it's true. “Medical risks of wilderness hiking" which studied 334 AT hikers found that treating water was much more important. (Both are important regardless.) As far as I know 100% of CDC verified backcountry giardiasis outbreaks have been traced to water. More: http://bucktrack.com/water.html
    That is a good article, but keep in mind that practicing good hygiene in that AT study was defined simply as follows

• routine cleaning of cooking utensils and cleaning hands after bowel movements

Not sure about you, but to me that seems like rather low bar when it comes to hand washing. Thru hikers sort of live in filth, right?

My guess is that virtually all thru hikers would say they “clean hands after bowel movements” anyway. Because cleaning hands could mean almost anything — to a thru hiker.

Too bad the study referenced in the article is $35.00.

Often I filter or use aqua Mira, sometimes I don’t - esp if spring source is located. Haven’t had water borne illness yet. Did get the poops once from discount “energy” bars. Lots of sugar alcohols. I figure if I get sick it will be my own damn fault and I’m comfortable with my decisions. Some folks are religious in cleanliness and hygiene. I am neat enough for me.

I think I am used to usual eastern bugs and so I don’t get sick. Kind of like the locals can drink tap water in Mexico but many gringos suffer montazuma’s revenge. Probably if I got a huge dose of bad bugs I would get sick,so I filter stagnant water and streams below pastures.

I would give info on benefits of purifying water if asked, but I really don’t care what the next fellow does with his water, as long as he’s not pooping in the stream.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    That is a good article, but...

There are possible critiques of any study, but there is no data I know of saying hand hygiene is MORE important and lots of evidence saying water treatment is important.

As I've said before, NOLS has shown a combo of water treatment, dish washing and hand washing produces outstanding results for gastrointestinal health.

It is probably not good if a science journalist cannot come up with a study more current than 1994 to support his argument, and resorts to referencing someone else’s summary from more than a decade ago.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

He brags about becoming ill unnecessarily because of a failure to exercise elementary precautions.

He thinks this is worthy of a boast because ... ?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    He brags about becoming ill unnecessarily because of a failure to exercise elementary precautions. He thinks this is worthy of a boast because ... ?
    Because he is Warren Doyle.
    It does bother me when Warren teaches other people some of his higher risk methods - like not treating water - but what bothers me more is when I agree with him on other stuff.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++