WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New pack needed

Amazon sells drinking tubes for bottles.
    In the time I had my Catalyst, I found that I could drink from a 1 liter Esentia water bottle without difficulties. Except for handling my hiking poles. With practice it wasn’t hard.
    Wayne

Images

I’ve got a beautiful Arc Teryx Bora 95. Carries 60-70 lbs as comfortably as possible. It’s a beast.
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

I've got a Seek Outside Gila which has a main bag capacity of 57L plus 13L face pocket and two waterbottle pockets that each hold two quarts of Gatorade. Total weight of 2lbs 10oz without the cross stay. It carries 35lbs like a dream and will haul 100lbs if needed.

The SO Divide is only 2lb 12oz (cross stay removed) and has a main bag capacity of 79L plus a 13L face pocket and the same monster-sized waterbottle pockets.

Absolutely outstanding backpacks.

https://seekoutside.com/gila-ultralight-backpack-gray/

https://seekoutside.com/divide-ultra...backpack-gray/

Journal Entries
    Images

I ve got a ULA Cataylis and Circuit. Have to agree with Vencka is bigger rides easy with 35 pounds. MY circuit I like for summer and spring...BUT iam not gonna lie I am intriugued with wiiawiwbs seekoutside pack BUT its just to much pack for me...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Singto View Post
    Sorry to hear that happened to you but every product can have problems in production/workmanship from time to time. If there is a pattern of that kind of defect, it is concerning, if there are a limited number of isolated cases, then it's pretty normal. For me, even if I find a defect in a product, I measure how good a company is by how they respond to the discovery of a defect.

Did Granite Gear not respond appropriately, such as offer to promptly repair it at their cost, exchange it at a local outfitter or replace it themselves with a new one or did you just decide to return it and not give them a second chance at your business, which is your prerogative?

I ask only because I am considering this pack/company.

Thank you
    For what it's worth, I own both the Crown 2 60L & 38L packs and have had no problems with either. They carry well. BTW, sorry to hear about Quiet Storm's stitching problem. It happens.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

I am curious what types of trips people here are taking that they use a 70L pack and what types of weight they are carrying with that capacity.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    I am curious what types of trips people here are taking that they use a 70L pack and what types of weight they are carrying with that capacity.
    I recently got a Seek Outside Divide. My rationale here is that while there are certainly lighter packs, I want to be able to carry a heavy load when needed. I have only had it out once, this winter in the Whites, and that situation called for a pretty heavy kit, say 70 lbs. with everything I either absolutely needed or was willing to carry as a convenience. The route was not going to cover significant distance, so I really didn't worry about any weight cutting. The Divide carried that weight very comfortably.

The compression system is excellent, and I did load it up with a much lighter summer kit and found it very comfortable for that as well, but that was just an experiment for a few miles. But if it carries well at 70lbs, and I know I can snugly compress everything, I expect it to be comfortable for longer distances this summer, with a weight on average significantly lighter.

It will also fit a Bearikade Weekender horizontally in the upper part of the main compartment. I have no concerns around any extended trip with little to no resupply, given the carry.

So for me, I am willing to trade off some additional weight of the pack itself, for extra carry comfort across a wide range of situations. I will shave weight when needed elsewhere, not in the pack itself. YMMV

The pack I'm using since a few years is a Lightwave 60lt, so it does not exactly fit to your question, but still:
    I'm doing local multi-day hikes here in the Alps, and am carrying a decent tent, a very good down bag, a Thermarest, a down jacket, some rain gear, a decent cooking set, the food necessary for my trip plus some spare, and all the smaller items.
    When hiking with my wife, I would carry some more food, but basically my load would stay the same (while her's would be much lighter).
    This sums up to 17-18kg and fits into the 60lt pack just fine.
    Usually I'm planning for 4-5 days out, but most of the time I'd cut the trip short by 3-4 days for various reasons.
    Honestly, I can't imagine how to do with a much smaller pack and a much lighter weight.
    Would be interesting to have a direct comparison to all you UL-guys.

Honestly, I can't imagine how to do with a much smaller pack and a much lighter weight.

https://www.thehikinglife.com/2017/0...going-lighter/

"What it really comes down to is embracing simplicity, while simultaneously accumulating the knowledge and skills necessary to hike safely and comfortably in your chosen environment."

I hear you well.
    But then, being an older guy I love some comfort, and honestly dislike being cold during the night (so I'm carrying a 4-seasons tent and two pads, plus a good down bag).
    Thats all talking about winter hiking. In the warmer seasons my load might be 2-3kg easier.

There's plenty of info 'out there' on lightening your load while remaining warm, comfortable and well fed. Google "UL Backpacking" and you'll get zillions of results.

I'm a couple of years older than you and don't have any problems with these things. And it's so much easier hiking with a lighter load. I've done many a summer trip of 1-3 nights carrying a 5-6kg pack — total weight including food and a liter of water — and did not want for anything.

I love my 70 L osprey I'm a section hiker and like not running out of room for stuff to carry. I'll also go out to Dollysods for a week and base camp carrying in 80 + lbs . I don't like being limited to what I can take like bear vault, chair, lots of food, clothes etc.
    And it's a very comfortable pack, even with the bigger weights.

I wanted to add especially in winter it's nice to have the bigger pack of course for all the winter crap. And of course I have smaller packs.

And it's a very comfortable pack, even with the bigger weights.

This seems to be somewhat at odds with your avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

This seems to be somewhat at odds with your avatar.
    Ha,lol, thats a good one
    I said comfortable not easy . And there's way too many layers to this onion to be described with one avatar....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++