WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New pack needed

Default New pack needed

I'm looking for a new pack. Presently I have a Alps Caldera 4500 (at 5lb 14oz). I like the pack but have a problem with the hip belt not staying tight and have replaced the shoulder straps once in less than a year. I am looking for something lighter and maby dropping down to a 70L. But don't think I can go any smaller. Any ideas out there? I do like Osprey.

ULA
    Catalyst or Circuit. I’ve used the Catalyst solo with a 20 degree Alpinlite Large, MSR HUBBA HUBBA NX tent and a week’s worth of food. 30-35 pounds probably. It works for me. Until my granddaughter talked me out of it.
    3 pounds all up as sold. Very solid construction. The best belt and outside pockets!
    Wayne

+1 on the Circuit! Mines 2 years old and would not trade. I did strip it of the belt padding, just a personal thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    +1 on the Circuit! Mines 2 years old and would not trade. I did strip it of the belt padding, just a personal thing.
    Two More Miles:
    If you really need the space of a 70 liter pack I strongly advise getting the Catalyst. ULA uses the dubious volume of the pockets to get the total volume up. I ended up carrying the MSR tent in an outside pocket.
    Wayne

I'm not really sure how much smaller I can go. I am planning on stopping by REI this weekend and thought I would take my full pack minus food and just see what I can squeeze into

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I purchased the Osprey Volt 75 a few years ago for a JMT thru (needed something big enough to carry a Bearikade Expedition, 1,000cuin bear canister).

Most of the larger Osprey packs weigh over 5lbs emtpy and cost about $300. But the Volt weights about 4lbs empty and retails for only $200 (picked mine up for $160 during REI's annual Memorial Day sale where you get to take 20% off one item).

I know in principle the reason the Volt weights less and costs less is because it doesn't have the "bells and whistles" the more expensive Osprey packs have... but I'm not sure what those features are... I loved my Volt as is (well, except I ripped out the separator that tries to create a sleeping bag compartment, the shape of the compartment was a bit odd and I pack by bag and cloths in a liner anyway).

How does it cary compared to the Aether or zenith?

What kind of weight are you carrying? If you need a bigger pack that can handle loads over 40lbs consistently, look into the Unaweep packs from SeekOutside.

The Divide is a 4500 series pack.
    https://seekoutside.com/ultralight-backpacks/

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two more miles View Post
    How does it cary compared to the Aether or zenith?
    Never compared the Volt to any of the other Ospreys...
    The way it worked well for my needs was that I could put by sleeping bag and cloths in the bottom, the bear canister vertically on top, stove, sleeping pad, and misc gear around he bear canister, I never needed to remove the bear canister during the day, and kept water bottles and water filter in the side pockets, leaving the mesh back pocket for rain coat and wet cloths. Tent was attached via the slash straps. I was prepared for temperatures below freezing, but I doubt I ever encountered anything colder than about 40 degrees on my trip.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Take a look at the Gregory Baltoro line as well. I have the 70L as a winter pack and I think they make an larger size now as well.

The ULA Catalyst is also a great option, however it is made for lighter weight and is only designed to carry 40lbs max. This may or may not be an issue for you.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Have a look at the Granite Gear Crown2 60. A lightweight $200 pack. This would be my present choice if I was looking for a new pack.

Journal Entries

+1 for the ULA Catalyst. I've enjoyed using mine since it replaced a heavier pack 15 months ago.

Everyone likes their ULA Catalyst, and I respect that. It's $260 @ 48 ounces. The GG Crown2 60 is $199 @ 36 ounces, less if you remove the internal frame plate for lighter loads. For me, not a tough decision if I were looking at buying a new pack. In fact I am considering buying the GG now even though I have a new 33 ounce 50 Liter bag from a different company. I might need/want the extra space.

Just returned my Crown 2. Stitching came undone in 2 places on the third overnight hike. Save your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    Just returned my Crown 2. Stitching came undone in 2 places on the third overnight hike. Save your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry to hear that happened to you but every product can have problems in production/workmanship from time to time. If there is a pattern of that kind of defect, it is concerning, if there are a limited number of isolated cases, then it's pretty normal. For me, even if I find a defect in a product, I measure how good a company is by how they respond to the discovery of a defect.

Did Granite Gear not respond appropriately, such as offer to promptly repair it at their cost, exchange it at a local outfitter or replace it themselves with a new one or did you just decide to return it and not give them a second chance at your business, which is your prerogative?

I ask only because I am considering this pack/company.

Thank you

My suggestion would be to get a Circuit. Pack the things that are a necessity first, and pack the pack till it is full. IMO a 70L pack should be more of a novelty item in todays time, but in the grand scheme of things I am also just a young whipper snapper.... frontal lobe just matured fully a few years ago so I am still new at this thinking thing

But in earnest if you get your kit down to a 55-60 range you will thank yourself from a weight standpoint.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Do a gear shakedown and see if a circuit will work. If not the catalyst is a good choice too. I have owned both but sold the Catalyst since I didn't need the capacity and have found the circuit more comfortable. It's five years old, many thousands of miles and seems nearly new. Very durable.

I hike with my girlfriend so I have a larger tent than most witch is the problem with the amount of volume and the extra weight. I prefer to load it inside the pack but It takes up about a third of my space and weights around 6 pounds. We love this tent and I have looked at others MSR, tarp,big a, ect. There is no advantage to me, spending $600 to save a pound and get a cheaper built one. My fully loaded weight is around 35 lbs with 3L of water.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

:banana

Gotta love some of these responses.

Opening post: I'm looking for specific recommendations for a pack that is 70L or more.

Responses: Here are some great packs that are much smaller than you want. You should buy one.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++