WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Testing a tent-- does the hose work?

Hi,

I bought a refurbished tent from Eureka (Sunriver 2). It was an excellent price (haven't got it yet, so not able to comment). However, I was reading the comments on this company and their warehouse and the opinion was that Eureka will back up their products not being defective, but that they may not entirely test them. (Some people bought tents, the rain fly didn't work and they sent out a new one, but waited to receive the old one. I live in NM and am taking this tent east (not thru hiking). We have not really had any rain for something like 100 days, so I can't really test it in the rain.

Does the hose provide a valid test? Sounds silly as I have seen this many times, but don't know if it similar enough to rain. Or should I just bring a tarp, waterproof, etc. (plan to car camp with it first). Thanks.

I like to set up a garden sprinkler next to the tent and let it run for several hours. This won't duplicate a 50mph rainstorm in an open meadow at 5,000 feet but if you leave it on long enough duration will almost equal intensity.

Good suggestion Tipi. Thanks.

Images

As Tipi noted, a sprinkler won't generate as much droplet velocity or intensity as a rainstorm. You can get closer with a spray nozzle - keep the angle realistic, maybe 45° for testing which would approximate a 15 to 25 mph wind driven rain depending upon droplet size (bigger drops are less affected by wind). Rain never truly goes sideways except in an updraft - otherwise it would never hit the ground. Droplet velocity shouldn't be a big difference with a coated poly fly such as on the Sunriver, but could be with a silnylon fly, which mists through more easily. You also won't get the same splash up effect from the ground testing with a sprinkler - water that splashes back up under the fly and onto the inner tent wall/mesh. If your car camping with it at first, a cheap tarp couldn't hurt just in case.

I've also found in real-world wilderness conditions that a long rain shows more problems than a shorter rain. This is due in part to long term wet weather condensation. It would be hard to duplicate such conditions in the backyard unless you spray a tent for 20 hours, pack it up under the sprinkler, set it aside for 6 hours, then set it up again for another 20 hours with the sprinkler.

After about a 75 hour rainstorm I start seeing small tent drips here and there. A long rainstorm is a real test of any shelter.

And even if you'd sprinkle the tent in the backyard for multiple days, there still will be another important factor missing: You yourself, as a user and inhabitant of the tent, moving aroundinsid, creating moisture, cooking under the fly, crawling out of the tent and heading back in with dripping wet clothes.

The only real test for a tent is to really use it under serious conditions.
    When somebody has such expansive experience in tenting like Walter has, he might be able to extrapolate the experiences made under normal conditions up to possible severe conditions.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JJ505 View Post
    Hi,

I bought a refurbished tent from Eureka (Sunriver 2). It was an excellent price (haven't got it yet, so not able to comment). However, I was reading the comments on this company and their warehouse and the opinion was that Eureka will back up their products not being defective, but that they may not entirely test them.
    I doubt any mfg actually tests new individual tents. They would inspect for visible defects. A prototype would be tested only, if at all. Materials suppliers or such change and unforseen results occur sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    And even if you'd sprinkle the tent in the backyard for multiple days, there still will be another important factor missing: You yourself, as a user and inhabitant of the tent, moving aroundinsid, creating moisture, cooking under the fly, crawling out of the tent and heading back in with dripping wet clothes.

The only real test for a tent is to really use it under serious conditions.
    Which brings up the tent quality factor. Eureka vs a Hilleberg? I'll pick the Hillie every time. When it comes to tent waterproofness in all conditions I like my Hillebergs. And no offense to the original poster but I have no interest in backpacking with a Eureka tent.

I spent scores of nights in a Eureka Timberline back in the 1990s and the dang floor leaked . . .like . . . a sponge. My body pressure on wet ground brought up water thru the floor like . . . a . . . sponge.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Which brings up the tent quality factor. Eureka vs a Hilleberg? I'll pick the Hillie every time. When it comes to tent waterproofness in all conditions I like my Hillebergs. And no offense to the original poster but I have no interest in backpacking with a Eureka tent.

I spent scores of nights in a Eureka Timberline back in the 1990s and the dang floor leaked . . .like . . . a sponge. My body pressure on wet ground brought up water thru the floor like . . . a . . . sponge.
    I still have a eureka apex 2xt my son used for car camping in boy scouts.
    Great tent...two vestibules, one on each side.....with very wind shedding shape. .after i swapped fiberglass poles for aluminum . Still 4.5 lb. Huge footprint with 2 big vestibules.

Spent several nights in it in torrential thunderstorms .bone dry and slept great. Eureka makes good stuff in at good price. Most is really car camping though.

The tent has these vestibules on both sides, its about 12 ft across if i remember.. but no steep side to expose to wind, and fly velcrod to poles too if needed.

I probably should donate it to scout troop before it degrades
    apex2xt.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-07-2018 at 12:43.

I still have an affection for the Eureka Timberlines in all their configurations. Nothing feels as good as locking in the top spreader pole into the two A frame ends. And the tent is a REAL self-standing tent unlike most other tents.

I'm not spending a lot for a tent. I'm a total newbie. If I don't like backpacking, I haven't invested a lot. If I do like it, I would want to get something higher quality. I'm sure the Hilleberg tents are wonderful, but what newbie would spend $500 for a tent?? The tent I bought is probably new a $200 tent, which I bought for $50. It's kind of off topic anyway. I'm not asking re: what to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I doubt any mfg actually tests new individual tents. They would inspect for visible defects. A prototype would be tested only, if at all. Materials suppliers or such change and unforseen results occur sometimes.
    Yeah really good point. Good to test any tent.

I'm not spending a lot for a tent. I'm a total newbie. If I don't like backpacking, I haven't invested a lot. If I do like it, I would want to get something higher quality. I'm sure the Hilleberg tents are wonderful, but what newbie would spend $500 for a tent?? The tent I bought is probably new a $200 tent, which I bought for $50. It's kind of off topic anyway. I'm not asking re: what to buy.
    I'm inclined to backpack with a Timberline just for sentimental reasons---and you're right, a Eureka tent is a wonderful tent for almost anybody and quite usable in most conditions.

I have a Timberline 4 Outfitter from 1996 that is still getting used on some canoe trips I do. Solid design and materials.

I certainly understand your point..... just as a point of discussion though, you might find that you don't like backpacking if you end up with a bad experience....carrying a too heavy tent, or a tent that leaks...or one that's hard to set up..... couple that with a cheap heavy backpack, and a few other sub-par pieces of gear....can = a bad time.

On the otherhand, I used to advise folks when I was working with scouts that there's no need in spending a lot on a first tent. Case in point. When I met my wife, she had a dirt cheap no-name tent that she'd bought from Big Lots. I had a fairly expensive Kelty. Both were three man domes.
    My Kelty could probably withstand winds on a high mountain top, while hers wouldn't have been nearly close to the same
    but
    hers was way easier to set up and had a lot more headroom.
    We camped in her tent for several years till our second child came along and we out grew it.....while my Kelty rotted away in storage.
    For car camping....it didn't matter....and hers was plenty water proof for camground type car camping. Don't think it ever leaked. The only reason we even got rid of it a couple years ago was that one pole was lost during a cub scout den meeting where we were practicing setting up tents with the boys.
    The kelty's waterproof coating failed a god while before that....

Later, I had a similar though process as yours......I decided to buy a small lightweight tent for me to use use when camping with scouts. I figured the REI half dome would be light enough to get back into doing some "newbie" backpacking...without spending a fortune in case I didn't (like it or didn't get a chance). I regret that purchase now in hind site, it wasn't that expensive and I have enjoyed that tent...but it turns out to not be something I want to backpack with.

For backpacking, especially now as my being an older guy, I suggest for backpacking to spend a bit more to get something better and lighter. You can always sell it in a year or two if you get a good one but decide against backpacking. On the other hand, cheap might be a sure fire way to not like backpacking.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I certainly understand your point..... just as a point of discussion though, you might find that you don't like backpacking if you end up with a bad experience....carrying a too heavy tent, or a tent that leaks...or one that's hard to set up..... couple that with a cheap heavy backpack, and a few other sub-par pieces of gear....can = a bad time.

On the otherhand, I used to advise folks when I was working with scouts that there's no need in spending a lot on a first tent. Case in point. When I met my wife, she had a dirt cheap no-name tent that she'd bought from Big Lots. I had a fairly expensive Kelty. Both were three man domes.
    My Kelty could probably withstand winds on a high mountain top, while hers wouldn't have been nearly close to the same
    but
    hers was way easier to set up and had a lot more headroom.
    We camped in her tent for several years till our second child came along and we out grew it.....while my Kelty rotted away in storage.
    For car camping....it didn't matter....and hers was plenty water proof for camground type car camping. Don't think it ever leaked. The only reason we even got rid of it a couple years ago was that one pole was lost during a cub scout den meeting where we were practicing setting up tents with the boys.
    The kelty's waterproof coating failed a god while before that....
    I get the point, and as I said it wasn't one I necessarily asked about since I already bought the tent (did have a discussion but not here), but okay. I get the point but the tent I had does have pretty good reviews (easy set up, freestanding, and I have not heard that they are problematic in the rain), but it definitely is not the lightest. I am getting a lighter backpack (2-3 lbs) ,because I feel that the use I would have of it is justified. Also I got a fairly lightweight sleeping bag (same reason, feel I would have more use for it).

my apologies..... since originally reading the post the other day, I had forgotten that you had already bought the tent.

anyway, as I had said, I see nothing wrong with lower cost tents. My experiences with them have been good...& I'm talking a lot "cheaper" than a eureka! I've never had one myself, but My understanding from the scouting world is that they are considered to be very good tents.

Back to your question though, I've only tried testing a tent with a hose a few times. My feel is that it can be a good way to find gross problems at least.....maybe not the soak through type things but I've seen bad leaks show up pretty quick by just spraying the hose up into the air and letting it "rain"down

++ New Posts ++