Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default pct section a -- From halfmile

Interesting factoid for this section...
    Elevation gain: 16,000'
    Elevation loss: 15,872'
    Net change: +128' (man, that's a Lotta climbin for 128 feet!!!)

It takes a long time to walk through San Diego County.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post

I assume you don't play the markets?

You chunk it down my friend. Don't allow yourself to get overwhelmed with the totality of any one segment or day. This is especially applicable for you in regard to elev profiles as you're hiking more moderated daily distances.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

I assume you don't play the markets?

You chunk it down my friend. Don't allow yourself to get overwhelmed with the totality of any one segment or day. This is especially applicable for you in regard to elev profiles as you're hiking more moderated daily distances.
    Yeah, but I was just looking at a 10 mile part of secn b, from mile 112 to 122. 2,873 feet uphill!
    There's 700 of downhill there, tho. WHEW! That's gonna burn some calories!
    (I used to play the market. Now I just hold on and pray)!

3000' feet in 10 miles? That's flat! :-)

Have to admit, Section B seemed all uphill. Did that Section in February a couple of years ago. Really enjoyed it, we didn't see anyone but Josh at Chihuahua Valley Road.

Whether you're 71 or 21 those 2,873 ft are accomplished one step at a time. Don't get overwhelmed magnifying it in its totality as some kind of huge horrendous insurmountable challenge or horrifying affair especially before you are even actually there doing it; chunk it down into more manageable bite size pieces.

You will not burn as many calories if you take that ascent during the cooler hrs/seasonal timeframe at an even more moderate pace with a lighter pack fully hydrated.

Everything I'm telling you is what I've and so many other LD hikers innumerously had to contend. And, I haven't arrived at some lofty place where I can speak down/preach down to anyone. I'm talking across the table to you. It's about learning to find solutions working the problem based on HYOH, on your own hiking philosophies and abilities. What I've found is sometimes the perception can be larger than the reality. Sometimes flipping from a problem oriented mindset to an opportunity mindset the problem no longer is perceived as a problem. Don't attempt to always adhere to convention if you're not conventional or doing a conventional type hike. You're not doing a cookie cutter hike. Don't allow yourself or others try to jam you into a conventional box. And, most of all don't overthink it. At some pt you have to jump from the comforts of the nest to stretch those wings.

Steep is 1000' per mile.

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    3000' feet in 10 miles? That's flat! :-)

Have to admit, Section B seemed all uphill. Did that Section in February a couple of years ago. Really enjoyed it, we didn't see anyone but Josh at Chihuahua Valley Road.
    If I remember correctly, on Section A, starting from that large water cache at 3rd gate, I think I did a couple days straight, mostly uphill. It's mostly not steep uphill -- but just continuous -- up, up, up! All day long!

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Steep is 1000' per mile.
    Yeah, but it's still a tough climb - at least for me -- when you're hiking almost continuously uphill for 10 hours straight, even if it isn't steep.

Yeah, but I was just looking at a 10 mile part of secn b, from mile 112 to 122. 2,873 feet uphill!
    There's 700 of downhill there, tho. WHEW! That's gonna burn some calories!
    (I used to play the market. Now I just hold on and pray)!
    Met a fellow 75 years old on the Wonderland Trail in 2016. Huge elevation every day, day after day. He and his wife were smiling and enjoying the trip.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Whether you're 71 or 21 those 2,873 ft are accomplished one step at a time. Don't get overwhelmed magnifying it in its totality as some kind of huge horrendous insurmountable challenge or horrifying affair especially before you are even actually there doing it; chunk it down into more manageable bite size pieces.

You will not burn as many calories if you take that ascent during the cooler hrs/seasonal timeframe at an even more moderate pace with a lighter pack fully hydrated.

Everything I'm telling you is what I've and so many other LD hikers innumerously had to contend. And, I haven't arrived at some lofty place where I can speak down/preach down to anyone. I'm talking across the table to you. It's about learning to find solutions working the problem based on HYOH, on your own hiking philosophies and abilities. What I've found is sometimes the perception can be larger than the reality. Sometimes flipping from a problem oriented mindset to an opportunity mindset the problem no longer is perceived as a problem. Don't attempt to always adhere to convention if you're not conventional or doing a conventional type hike. You're not doing a cookie cutter hike. Don't allow yourself or others try to jam you into a conventional box. And, most of all don't overthink it. At some pt you have to jump from the comforts of the nest to stretch those wings.
    So you're saying, you think it's time for me to jump out of the nest and spread my wings -- is that what I'm hearin?
    Funnin with ya a little, DW. But I'm pretty sure I took care of that already

I know what you're sayin, I think, mostly. I really do. But 2873 feet is still 2873 feet. Break it into manageable chunks? Yep. Definitely!
    Yesterday, I hiked 530 feet. Broke it down into manageable chunks. It was all I could do to make it back to the parking lot.
    Good news is that's 90' more than I had planned on doing and included the 2 big, steep hills that I didn't think I was ready for, but, albeit reluctantly, did em anyway. Bad news is that it's still 160' shy of what I want to be able to do comfortably! More bad news is these muscles in my legs were REALLY burnin! I'm not sure what they are, but they're where the thighs are -- (maybe it's part of the thigh) -- I think of the thigh as in the front of the leg, what was killin me was on the outside. Might have been a tendon or something, not really sure. Both legs hurt in that area, tho.
    ~~~~
    I said I think I MOSTLY understand what you're saying. When you said you've found the perception is sometimes larger than the reality, I think I know what you mean. Like, maybe, you look at a hill and say to yourself, "OMG, I'll NEVER be able to climb that thang"!, and then find it really wasn't so bad. Or a point in the distance that seems like it's going to take forever to get to -- but it really doesn't. So, if that was what you meant, I'm with you there.
    Next one -- 'switching from a problem oriented mindset to an opportunity mindset' -- I could use a little help on that one. Not sure how this applies to a situation I might find myself in, out on the trail. Let me try an example:
    OK, I have a problem -- let's say, uh, Hole in the tent. So now, I need to switch from thinking of this as a problem to thinking of it as an opportunity....hmm...
    I guess, I could think to myself, "Hey, here's a chance to find out if duct tape will fix this hole"! Is that kinda what you mean?
    And, yes, I also know I'm not doing a conventional or cookie cutter hike. The plan (if I do it) is to start from Campo in February. Nobody else does that! Well, ok, yes, some folks actually do! But -- NOBODY does a cookie cutter hike! IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Met a fellow 75 years old on the Wonderland Trail in 2016. Huge elevation every day, day after day. He and his wife were smiling and enjoying the trip.
    Thanks for that, Feral Bill ~~ Makes me feel great! Teasing. That's great for them! There are lot's of em out there, too!

YES, you got the "the perception is sometimes larger than the reality" part.

In other words, do you spend the majority of your time focusing on - orienting yourself to - answers/solutions, gratitude, innovation, adaptability, and opportunity? Note: this does not exclude recognizing challenges or situations. How we define situations factors into how we approach situations; this goes back to perception or perspective. Or, do you spend more time focusing on problems hence seeing more and more of them, magnifying problems, seeing things often as problems, orienting yourself to problems - being problem minded? Note: these are questions you might consider in context of your thought life, NOT judgments.

Dogwood is wise. Just go for a hike, it'll be fun. Do what you do, don't worry about what everyone else is doing. Quite frankly, the majority of thruhikers anymore seem to be sort of clueless.

BITD plenty of people completed thruhikes doing 11 mile days. You don't need to be some trail beast.

YES, you got the "the perception is sometimes larger than the reality" part.

In other words, do you spend the majority of your time focusing on - orienting yourself to - answers/solutions, gratitude, innovation, adaptability, and opportunity? Note: this does not exclude recognizing challenges or situations. How we define situations factors into how we approach situations; this goes back to perception or perspective. Or, do you spend more time focusing on problems hence seeing more and more of them, magnifying problems, seeing things often as problems, orienting yourself to problems - being problem minded? Note: these are questions you might consider in context of your thought life, NOT judgments.
    Uh...
    WHAT?????

I'd bet 50 bucks you're a lawyer. Right? Motivational therapisr, maybe? KIDDING...
    But , in answer to the question; Dogwood, I'm a pretty simple kinda guy. I don't spend the majority of my time doin any of that kinda stuff!
    My problem is really pretty simple; let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill.
    Let's say I wanna play quarterback for the Bears. I'm 71 years old, I know a little about football, but I haven't been hitting the gym for a while...
    You're the coach. I'm sayin, "Coach - I'm not ready". You’re sayin, "Son, it's just one play after another. Don't look at it as 60 minutes of getting creamed by a 350 pound linebacker. Just break it down into small chunks. You'll do fine. Now, go out there and win one for the Gipper!"
    Are you beginning to see a crack in the dam yet, DW?

...BITD plenty of people completed thruhikes doing 11 mile days. You don't need to be some trail beast.

Yup. Work out your hike. HYOH.

Have you looked into utilizing a Sherpa or stock?... or, seriously, pairing up with someone? When you share kit items and a hike with another it can lower the wt you haul and they can provide support in several ways.

Dogwood is wise. Just go for a hike, it'll be fun. Do what you do, don't worry about what everyone else is doing. Quite frankly, the majority of thruhikers anymore seem to be sort of clueless.

BITD plenty of people completed thruhikes doing 11 mile days. You don't need to be some trail beast.
    Now you're talkin! It'll be fun. Well, it ain't Disneyland out there, ya know. But yeah, I'm as much into Hn, my on H as anyone else... Bob Dylan said he's gonna know his song well before he starts singin. I'm gonna know I'm ready before I start hikin!

...BITD plenty of people completed thruhikes doing 11 mile days. You don't need to be some trail beast.

Yup. Work out your hike. HYOH.

Have you looked into utilizing a Sherpa or stock?... or, seriously, pairing up with someone? When you share kit items and a hike with another it can lower the wt you haul and they can provide support in several ways.
    I'm hoping that happens once I get there. It did last time, and was a real lifesaver!
    Can't plan that in advance, tho, since I'm kinda waiting till the last minute to make the go-nogo decision

One thing I'm not is a mindless cheerleader.

I expect if we gathered around a campfire we'd enjoy many a good laughs.

FWIW, I'm a Landscape Architect and horticulturalist(plant grower for ornamental, palm, and native plant nurseries), PT hiking guide, First Responder, traveler, adventurer, nomad, Tiny House builder, one time semi pro tennis player, from a family where two brothers were triathletes with one a professional motocross racer/almost U.S. Olympian, National Champion mountain biker, believing if we are to ever accomplish our goals we must address our thought lives. Currently spending an inordinate amount of time vicariously blogging on sites like WB. Ohh, maybe one day you'll see me author a coffee table picture book from all the hikes and adventures with included inspirational applicable quotes from which I'll shortly spend all the proceeds on another adventure.

You mistook my southern Jarzee Pinelands National Reserve redneck upbringing with being an attorney.

One thing I'm not is a mindless cheerleader.

I expect if we gathered around a campfire we'd enjoy many a good laughs.

FWIW, I'm a Landscape Architect and horticulturalist(plant grower for ornamental, palm, and native plant nurseries), PT hiking guide, First Responder, traveler, adventurer, nomad, Tiny House builder, one time semi pro tennis player, from a family where two brothers were triathletes with one a professional motocross racer/almost U.S. Olympian, National Champion mountain biker, believing if we are to ever accomplish our goals we must address our thought lives. Currently spending an inordinate amount of time vicariously blogging on sites like WB. Ohh, maybe one day you'll see me author a coffee table picture book from all the hikes and adventures with included inspirational applicable quotes from which I'll shortly spend all the proceeds on another adventure.

You mistook my southern Jarzee Pinelands National Reserve redneck upbringing with being an attorney.
    I see. A real underachiever, huh?
    Yeah, you're right about time around the campfire. Would be fun. Maybe oneadesedayz!
    Tiny House builder....they're getting a little local press around here. Mayor wants them as partial solution for homeless folks...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++