WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Camping Space near PA 325?

Looks like there is parking and also a creek near this road. Does anyone know if there would be space for a group of about 5 to camp near this road?

Here is a google view, fwiw...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ap...!4d-76.7955601

In a word, no. That is State Game Land No. 211, where camping is governed by the following regulation (note that a "through hiker" for purposes of the regulation is not the same as what we commonly call a "thru-hiker"):
    https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/0...5/s135.42.html

This is actively enforced by game wardens. I believe the land manager is even on WB too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    In a word, no. That is State Game Land No. 211, where camping is governed by the following regulation (note that a "through hiker" for purposes of the regulation is not the same as what we commonly call a "thru-hiker"):
    https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/0...5/s135.42.html

This is actively enforced by game wardens. I believe the land manager is even on WB too.
    Thanks for the quick reply. That pretty much settles that. Next question for anyone who may know. Is there any other camp spot in this segment. Preferable between PA 325 and Peter's Mountain Shelter. 18 miles from shelter to shelter is a little further than we want to do. Would like to find something in the 12 - 14 mile range.

http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=JN&k2=JK&h=fd51fd58

Those 18 miles are really easy. The guide shows one campsite 0.6 miles south of 325 after the climb up from the gap. It may or may not be big enough for 5 people. There is a spring not far south of the road, fill up there as there will be no more water until Peter's Mountain shelter and that one is a LONG way steeply down hill - 300 rock steps - and it might be dry if your going in the summer. Everyone has choice words after coming back from that spring.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

To read this, b4 I believe, that would mean camping is okay here ion game lands as long as you are not walking BACK to your car the next day?? Not trying to stretch the rules or break them, just trying to get them straight. Will be in PA july 4th
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    To read this, b4 I believe, that would mean camping is okay here ion game lands as long as you are not walking BACK to your car the next day?? Not trying to stretch the rules or break them, just trying to get them straight. Will be in PA july 4th
    It seems to me that anything in this area would be within 500 feet of a "public access area". Also, I'd think it is within 500 feet of a stream. While one might be tempted to bend some of these rules, doing so in a place where the ranger barely has to leave his car to find you doesn't seem like a good idea.

Although, I might be misunderstanding the rules.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Those 18 miles are really easy. The guide shows one campsite 0.6 miles south of 325 after the climb up from the gap. It may or may not be big enough for 5 people. There is a spring not far south of the road, fill up there as there will be no more water until Peter's Mountain shelter and that one is a LONG way steeply down hill - 300 rock steps - and it might be dry if your going in the summer. Everyone has choice words after coming back from that spring.
    Thanks for the info. The trail definitely looks flat, so 18 miles might not be so bad. Since you're saying it is easy, I presume the rocks aren't a big factor.

Images

Some additional info in this thread>
    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...outh-of-rt-325

The hike from Rausch Gap Shelter to Peter's Mountain Shelter is pretty tame.
    Any chance you'd want to hike a few additional miles past Rausch Gap Shelter the night before? There are more camping opportunities between Rausch Gap Shelter and RT325.

Yes, there's a little spot just south of 325, but a much better one about a mile or so, an abandoned plot from a fire or radio tower.

But as said above, your entry point must be different than your exit point to qualify for primitive camping.

And no overnight parking at the lot on 325, you'll get towed and it's exactly 10 miles to the nearest edge of town.

Slightly better plan for a troop would be arranging a drop off at peters mountain crossing, hike out about 6-8 miles, a few unofficial campsites with decent views, then you'll only have a mile or so to reach 325.
    No water sources after the shelter a mile from the road (locals love that shelter, youre warned).

Either plan is fairly easy.

If you go south from 325, the next road crossing isn't for about 15 or so miles if memory serves me correctly, and about halfway is an abandoned mining town that's all but some foundations a divots, but the camping spot there is huge and there's no road noise, locals, or city lights taking away from some great star gazing.

PS- Gambit, I've been on this section during the fourth, and you better be a hammock camper cause every level spot without our fantastic limestone sticking out will probably be occupied. Prepare to either claim a spot by mid afternoon or be walking past people.

Images

North/South get a little tricky for this particular intersection. Some posts above are based on compass direction and some are based on trail direction.

Quote Originally Posted by DrL View Post
    North/South get a little tricky for this particular intersection. Some posts above are based on compass direction and some are based on trail direction.

Nice catch. The 15 miles stretch is indeed southbound from 325, but Maine bound in relation to the AT. Then mostly east, northeast and some southeast. As an avid dayhiker, occasionally overnighter, and twice a year section/tripper, I don't always see the AT as a North/South turnpike. Thanks for catching that, I'd never want to steer someone wrong.

Images

No problem. I was about to recommend the same two sites that you mentioned. Both are good recommendations, but would require pushing past Rausch Gap Shelter.

Images

Thanks for all the good info. We're actually doing a 4 night hike through this area going from PA501 to Duncannon. It is definitely not an out-and-back. It would probably not be too much of a stretch to reach Peter's Mountain shelter at 18 miles, but then the following day becomes very short (to Clark's Ferry), or we press on and reach Duncannon a day early, but so late in the afternoon that our drive home runs well into the early morning.

It is much more ideal to find a camp spot south (trail south) of PA325. Sounds like there is nothing big enough and that the radio tower clearing is actually trail north according to the other thread.

It sounds like the radio tower clearing might still be an option even if it is trail north of PA 325. Either way, we have one long day and one short day. But that is life on the trail if you hike in a group of more than 2 or 3.

There may be a dry camp site about 1.5 miles trail-south of PA 325 on the ridge. There are a couple of springs (the one on a short side trail is more reliable, just shy of half mile in) climbing Peters Mountain to get there. It appears people have camped in the past at that spring, but that clearly would contravene the SGL regulations. There might be a spot at the junction of that spring trail but you'd have to get out a tape measure to see if it's legal.

I have not heard of a prohibition on overnight parking at 325 before, though - where does that come from? I could see getting towed if you block a gate, maybe. It is 10 miles out to 225 (well, 9.9 last time I clocked it) and from there 4 miles north to Halifax which has the nearest garage. (I know because I locked myself out there before - but wasn't towed. )

There may be a dry camp site about 1.5 miles trail-south of PA 325 on the ridge. There are a couple of springs (the one on a short side trail is more reliable, just shy of half mile in) climbing Peters Mountain to get there. It appears people have camped in the past at that spring, but that clearly would contravene the SGL regulations. There might be a spot at the junction of that spring trail but you'd have to get out a tape measure to see if it's legal.

I have not heard of a prohibition on overnight parking at 325 before, though - where does that come from? I could see getting towed if you block a gate, maybe. It is 10 miles out to 225 (well, 9.9 last time I clocked it) and from there 4 miles north to Halifax which has the nearest garage. (I know because I locked myself out there before - but wasn't towed. )
    I witnessed a conversation between a park ranger and a something of support guy for a group of SoBo about 2 years ago in the fall. It was a very friendly exchange, maybe the ranger just wanted to let him know that the parking lot wasn't a dry campsite, but he stated something to the effect of no overnight.
    That being said, I've parked at that lot two days in a row and seen the same couple of cars, so maybe not enforced.

Just like the little lot at rte72/934 junction that tends to have repeat business, and that's directly in the swatera state park where camping is expressedly prohibited.

there is camping at yellow springs village site. no privy. have to carry your water in for several miles. my guide shows camping at 443 and 72. Not sure where that camping actually is at. but you but that could give you options even out your days better if it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    there is camping at yellow springs village site. no privy. have to carry your water in for several miles.
    Usually, in the springtime of the year, water is running about 3/4 mile trail-north, in a wet spot on trail (that the Mid-Atlantic Trail Crew spent parts of two seasons turnpiking, about 12 years ago).

Also, if you go down the Yellow Spring hollow side trail, you will find the Yellow Spring (left side of side trail, going downhill), and also see why it is called that. Please don't stumble around there in the dark, as there is an old well or mine shaft awaiting the unwary.

Glad you mentioned that well. it really is pretty close to the camp area and nothing to stop you from falling in when I was there. I am glad we saw it before dark.

Images

This was going to be exact response. The OP is heading SOBO so yellow springs etc aren't an option.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

For those reading this thread late, there is indeed a dry camp spot not far after climbing Peter's Mounting (trail-south). Probably 1.5 to 2 miles past the road going south. It is probably big enough for 8 or so hikers.

++ New Posts ++