WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tarp cover over my tent?

I own a Marmot Tungsten 2p UL tent. When I backpack for 4-5 day trips, I bring a tarp if I know it’s going to rain. I’ll setup my tarp in the rain first, then my tent next.

Would this be recommended for a NOBO thru where rain is inevitable, or is that carrying unnecessary gear?

Thanks

It feels like overkill, but setting up a tent in the rain can be super annoying. On the AT your best bet might be to hike until the next shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    It feels like overkill, but setting up a tent in the rain can be super annoying. On the AT your best bet might be to hike until the next shelter.

A polycro tarp is really light. And it makes for a better camp.

I feel the 8 second rodeo romp to get your tarp up in a downpour could be time better spent setting up your actual tent. You'll get wet either way. And you'll have to pack up this tarp wet just as you would a wet tent. Plus, you may get tired carrying the redundancy. What if it doesn't rain for two weeks?

And then there's cold rain-induced hypothermia---when you're shaking and all you want to do is get the tent up fast and get out of the cold wind and get out of wet clothing and put on dry clothing. Instead of the one-step process with a tent you now have a two-step process---tarp and tent.

Thank you!
    Appreciate the advice.

Garlic
    Images

This isn't much of an answer for your tent, but this issue is one of the reasons I like my single-wall tarptent. It's a two-minute pitch, and it's nice to quickly get out of harsh weather.

This is one of the reasons hammocks are becoming more popular. We’re carrying a tarp anyhow, so if a brief storm pops up mid-day it’s easy to throw up a the tarp and sit it out for 30 minutes or even 2 hours. Then if it’s still enough daylight, 1 minute to pack up the tarp and be on the way.

I agree that a tarp with a full 3-season tent is overkill. At that point, why not just ditch the tent and use a tarp/bivy combo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'll admit to bringing a tarp along on weekend trips when I know it's going to rain. But my purpose is to have a dry place to cook, eat, and toss gear other than in my tent.

By contrast, when I did a thru hike of the JMT, I didn't bother with the extra weight of a tarp.

Floorless pyramids with inner tents set-up fly first - with the footprint and inner tent being freely modular. You can sleep in a double-walled, bath-tub shelter like a traditional tent, but has the advantage of dropping the inner tent while awake for a freely variable floor/floorless for: more room, leave shoes on, giant cooking area, camp chair, and even dig an indoor latrine. Also about half the weight/pack size as a traditional for a given total square footage, but not free-standing.

Images

+1 on this. I always pack a reusable Space Blanket. I use it as a cook tarp and have put it up to wait out an unexpected heavy rain shower. I also use it for a sit pad folded up. If you have the red one you can fold the corners in to use for possible distress signal or location red cross for SAR helicopter if needed for yourself or other injured hikers. Many more uses too. Only weighs about 12ozs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    To set tent up in the shelter?

I have few issues setting up tarp in rain. Getting under, and setting up innernet if needed. Especially when have umbrella with me.

But...i prefer to set up before or after if possible still. Hiking in rain kind of sucks.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-07-2018 at 13:38.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    This is one of the reasons hammocks are becoming more popular. We’re carrying a tarp anyhow, so if a brief storm pops up mid-day it’s easy to throw up a the tarp and sit it out for 30 minutes or even 2 hours. Then if it’s still enough daylight, 1 minute to pack up the tarp and be on the way.
    I do this often, which is why I think I would probably still carry my tarp if I ever went back to the ground for some reason. My cuben tarp is under 8 ounces even with the guy lines, which seems like a small penalty for how much I enjoy being able to quickly put up a dry place to sit when it's pouring and I want to take a break, eat lunch, etc. Find a rock or log suitable for sitting between a few trees, string up my tarp over it, and it does wonders for my attitude.

Also, if one were worried about cooking and eating in the same area (I am not, but some are), you could use the tarp to set up a dry area away from your tent to avoid cooking in your shelter.
    -tagg

I just viewed all the tarptents available. Very interesting. If I were to purchase, think I like the ease of the Rainbow model.

Quote Originally Posted by BowGal View Post
    I just viewed all the tarptents available. Very interesting. If I were to purchase, think I like the ease of the Rainbow model.
    If I were to go back to ground dwelling, TarpTent and Mountain Laurel Designs are on my short list. Specifically for the ability to pitch just the tarp or a full tent. TT does have the advantage of having winter inserts available.

Garlic
    Images

I like the simplicity of my Contrail, which has been replaced by the similar Protrail. If you hike with a pole (like your avatar) you can save the weight and fuss of the big hoop pole. I've been tempted by the Moment (only two stakes and extremely fast pitch), but the hoop pole turns me off. I'm still fairly nimble so getting out of a front door is not a problem (yet).

If I were to go back to ground dwelling, TarpTent and Mountain Laurel Designs are on my short list. Specifically for the ability to pitch just the tarp or a full tent. TT does have the advantage of having winter inserts available.
    After years of agonizing I purchased the StratoSpire 1 with part solid inner tent. I couldn’t be happier. The best part? Leaving the inner tent in the car when insects are not a problem. Like in Wyoming in September.
    Wayne

I like the look of the Hogback as a family backpacking tent. If my kids want to start going with me, I think that will be the ticket.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

That's what I bring when I don't bring my hammock. Very roomy for one, lots of usable headroom, quick & easy to set up.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

and to your original post, if you don't mind the weight, carrying a tarp and a tent isn't crazy. Others have already provided plenty of good uses for a tarp, including using it as a porch for your new Rainbow!

my opinion.....and I'm not really a distance hiker.... just a plop camper here on this site looking to backpack again some....

I recon it makes NO sense to carry the extra weight and bulk if you are trying to cover miles. If you are trying to through hike or even just do long distances....

but if you are in it more for the camping, maybe hike in and set up a base camp to hike from for a couple days, or just hiking short distances, set up camp mid afternoon or whatever, then I think a tarp can offer lots of options. If it turns rainy you have a front porch dining fly or place to hang out during the day.....or you can get some shade relief either over your tent or over your front porch area..... or if the bugs turn out to not be a problem, leave the tent in the pack and sleep under the tarp...... lots of options.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++