WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Info for Section Hike from Panorama Parking lot to Harper's Ferry

I am planning to hike from Panorama Parking lot to Harper's Ferry. I need information regarding the best place to park and a shuttle ride. My first thought is to park somewhere in Harper's Ferry and get a shuttle back to Panorama. I could then hike to my car. Any thoughts on my plan? Would it be best to call Blackburn AT Center regarding shuttle drivers or the AT Conservancy?

Give a trail mile marker point for panorama, I am not familiar with that. Do you mean close to Marys Rock? Click the link in my signature and pick a shuttle driver that is in the section you want to hike, and give them a call
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Yes.. near Mary's Rock, US 11 Thornton Gap. I did click the the shuttle driver list. Thank You.

That’s VA211, aka Thornton Gap. I’ve parked there many a time and no issues.

Images

I did this same section last spring. We were shuttled by the Tea Horse Hostel . They are closed now for the season but there is a link on their website for shuttles.

Usually I park at the end point of my section and hike to my car as you mentioned. But a their suggestion I parked at the lower parking lot at
    Thornton Gap and hiked to Harpers Ferry. This saved us an hours driving plus the time to shuttle back from HF so were able to get an earlier start.

At Thornton Gap (the old Panorama Restaurant site) there are two parking lots. One can be accessed from US 311 and the other from Skyline Drive. You have to pay for admission to Shenandoah for the car if you park in the upper lot, but not in the lower one. We did have to pay for pedestrian admission at the ranger station. I was a year early for the senior discount. On the previous section I self registered at the kiosk and payed nothing.

We actually finished a day ahead of our schedule and called to changed shuttle and hotel reservations. But cell coverage is spotty.

Beware of blazing as you exit Shenandoah Park, it is somewhat confusing.

Thank you for the information. I have a senior National Park pass so I am good as far as the entry fee. Did you by chance stop at Bear's Den Hostel or the Blackburn Center?

Quote Originally Posted by hildebrand1944 View Post
    Thank you for the information. I have a senior National Park pass so I am good as far as the entry fee. Did you by chance stop at Bear's Den Hostel or the Blackburn Center?
    I stayed at both. The Blackburn Center is a lodge, but also has a free hiker shelter. That is all it is is a shelter. Wood stove in it when I was there but not hooked up.

Bears Den was a great stay.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I would park at Harper's Ferry, shuttle to Thornton Gap, and walk back to my car. Much less fuss and bother than trying to arrange a shuttle at the end of a hike to get back to my car, in my opinion. There is great parking in Harper's Ferry right at the Park Service vistitor center. They do ask you to fill out a form which they keep on file to let them know that your car is there and when you plan to get back to it. Not a deal at all. While the visitor's center is gated, it's not locked, so you can get out even if you arrive after hours. There are shuttles from Harper's Ferry out to the visitors center which run quite regularly, or you can just walk there - it's easy. Any of the folks on the shuttle list who do northern VA/northern Shenandoah would be more than familiar with this gig. Try Mike Evans in Winchester.

Images

Dropped in at Bear's Den and checked weather report then moved on. Slept on the porch at Blackburn and enjoyed chocolate chip cookies fresh out of the oven.

Tea Horse hostel does shuttles and would be a good place to stay at the end of the hike. Bear's Den is a nice place to stay and about 20 miles from HF - can be done in a day and isn't very difficult walking. I haven't been to Blackburn - it is a bit off trail but sounds like a good stop as well.

Blackburn is pretty rad. Bears Den too.

Thanks for the info. Is the Park Service Visitor Center the center for the National Park? Or do they have a city visitor center? I am familiar with the location of the National Park and have also visited the AT Conservancy.

It's the US Park Service visitor center (Harper's Ferry is a National Historical Park run by the US Park Service). It's just up the road a ways towards Bolivar (the real town - old town Harper's Ferry is just tourist crap) from the old armory etc. in the historic area. There are shuttles than run from the historic lower town area, or it's a pretty quick walk from the AT on a good side trail. https://www.nps.gov/hafe/index.htm The link has very clear maps. As a section hiker, I wish there were such good parking options in many other areas.

++ New Posts ++