WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Health Food stores

Hi all
    I'm starting a northbound hike in early March
    I'm having trouble finding out where there are
    health foods stores in town close (within 20-30)
    miles of the trail) or alternatively grocery stores
    with large healthy sections. I do not have someone
    to send resupply boxes from the west coast, so I will
    buying food and sending it out to myself at month intervals
    I've done this before on other trails and it works fine but I don't know
    the towns or stores in the south. I was able to figure out for a southbound as far as New
    York hike two summers ago but unfortunately fell badly on Katadin--fell and broke
    6 ribs. I'm all healed and ready to go again
    Could you please only answer this email if you have help ,positive suggestions and ideas . I can do
    without all the uninformed comments about doing the hike eating junk food.
    I value my health and understand what nutrition is required for endurance athletes.
    I'm planning 20+ mile days so need ideas for re supplying every 450-500 miles. I have the first 400 miles figured out.
    Thank you for your help
    Marmot

Five hundred miles at 20 miles/day = 25 days x 2 lbs/day for food is 50 lbs of just food out of town. Sounds like a plan to me. The are plenty of easily assessable post offices along the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Five hundred miles at 20 miles/day = 25 days x 2 lbs/day for food is 50 lbs of just food out of town. Sounds like a plan to me. The are plenty of easily assessable post offices along the trail.
    I believe MM plans to buy every few hundred miles, then send boxes to the upcoming post offices.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

You're screwed. Ain't gonna do it. No way. Nothing wrong with Twinkles, Poop Tarts, Cheetohhs, Em&Em's, and Snockers anyway? Only kidding.

I sympathize with you. Maybe one day I'll spread sheet a more comprehensive list of just such locations and offer them for a sleeping spot on an LA couch from another health fanatic Tribe member.

Until then if you're really anal about tracking down health foods and buying directly as you go pushing some boxes ahead then I suggest you peruse a bunch of resupply lists comprehensively accumulating known within 20 miles or so of the AT med/lg grocery store and health food store locations. That's something you have to do and has largely been done but bits and pieces are on different lists and you haven't made aware some possibly important resupply details. I'm not aware of any one stop list that meets all my, and probably your, health food needs. If you want health food stores to buy along the way you'll likely have to be willing to go further off the AT. Large grocery stores are easier to locate closer to the AT. Most large grocery stores even in the south and even places like large Wally Worlds(those with food markets) now vend healthier food options and cater to specialty diets with the rise in market demand for Organic, GF, etc food.

If you're taking a hybrid resupply approach buying some along the way, finding occasional good health food store vending locations, and bouncing a few boxes ahead from that location, an approach I often take, don't always get into that 30 day bounce habit. It allows for greater flexibility.

There's another option though that can be used to resupply by itself or incorporated further into what you're currently resupply anticipating!
    Buy directly from resupply locations having them mail your food. One of the best for you with your stated goals IMO is: https://outdoorherbivore.com/services/ Another is: https://zerodayresupply.com/tour

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

i say this all the time. you are screwed on healthy food until you get to new england. consider dehydrated maildrops...

Dude. Or Dudette. Walmart sells organic and inorganic healthy foods. Bob's Red Mill grains. Gluten free organic or inorganic foods. It's everywhere. Even newer fancier convenience stores, Dollar stores of all brands.
    Don't worry. Be happy.
    By the way, at 20 mpd, you won't slow down long enough for real food to mess you up.
    If you manage to get all the way through Virginia without having a decent plate of shrimp and grits or BBQ you should not come East.
    If you get through Hot Springs, NC and don't eat at the Smoky Mountain Diner you should seek professional help.
    Just kidding. Maybe.
    Have a great hike. Loosen up! Have fun!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Smokey Mountain Dinner was the only place that skunked me. Couldn't eat everything on the Hiker Special.

OOPS!
    I broke the rules stipulated by the OP.
    Sorry.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Ahh, if you're fanatically anal about health food served in Hot Springs, and for that matter anywhere along the AT, and if Elmer is still serving that delish homemade all natural wholefood vegetarian and Vegan fair, Sunnybank Inn is the place. Best healthiest most nutritious meal served to me on the entire AT. Got to give it up to quirky Elmer's Sunnybank Inn.

I guess I was not clear. Or possibly people just think it's fun to act like they misunderstand. Of course ,I meant that I would buy enough for 500 miles break it up into week packages and send it ahead to myself. I did that for all of the PCT the second time. It was pretty easy. Maybe people who actually have information could answer. I would appreciate that courtesy
    What I'm looking for are stores like Whole Foods,or similar stores. the Coop in Hanover, that nice health
    food store that used to be in Manchester Center( don't know if it's still there) Trader Joes
    any large store that has vegetarian and whole food choices. I'm surprised that after all these years there's still so
    little knowledge out there about the importance of nutrition. So little that asking questions and trying to get information could be called being anal. It's been 27 years since I did the AT. I wish that I had someone to send out packages but I do not.

What? Dollar General doesn't sell wholesome, healthy food? Bummer.

There are a fair number of towns with a real grocery store. Hiawassee, Franklin, Erwin, Roan Mt, Damascus, Marion to name a few. Bigger towns in VA and points north might have a "health food store".

You could stock up and send ahead when you get to a town with a good grocery, or do the DG in between times.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Search the home page of Earth Fare for store locations. A regional chain with very good products. The Austrailian grass fed whole filets are AWESOME!
    I'll get the link for you.
    https://www.earthfare.com/stores/
    Fresh Market
    https://www.thefreshmarket.com/your-.../store-locator
    I shop at both of these stores whenever I have the chance.
    Wayne

Like I said,
    It's the 21st century. Every grocery store bigger than a phone booth has a selection of healthy food. Even BIG LOTS! in Boone, NC.
    Stop talking down to us.
    By the way, you can use Walmart or Amazon online to drop ship a truckload of the "HEALTH FOOD" of your choice to any address in the USA.
    Have a great hike!
    Wayne

Default Health Food stores

Couldn't you just order from Amazon or any other online retailer and ship it to yourself as you go? Hitching 20-30 miles to a health food store kind of sounds like a pita.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Since Amazon now sells Whole Foods do you think you could order online and have it shipped to a hostel along the trail? I have never thru hiked so I have no real experience with shipping to hostels but it might be an option you could explore. Also, Waynesboro VA (mile 861.9 NOBO) has some decent options at Martins Grocery. It would not be as close to the trail as the Kroger in town but there are plenty of trail angels and shuttles that could get you there. Martins has a good organic section and it is next to Wal-Mart for the nonfood items you need to pick up. Hope you have a great hike!

3 in a row for online ordering.
    It must be true.
    Wayne

Specific resupply location lists are already available and widely analyzed. The knowledge is generally available. Google is your friend too. But, as said they aren't on one AT "healthy food" comprehensive list as far as I know that will satisfy each person's subjective definition of healthy...just as there is not one for the PCT.

Even though AT/east coast health food norms are generally behind the west coast especially in the southeast and somewhat the mid Atlantic compared overall to the PCT your AT resupply goals can be just as easily met as PCT resupplying IF, as you likely did on the PCT, and as I did thru hiking the PCT, expanding options beyond the likes of the health food store in Manchester and Hanover Co-Op as well as WFoods and TJ's. Don't expect those types of resupply stores to be personally conveniently abundant or spaced apart on the AT...just as they weren't on the PCT, at least for me. I think you will have to do some personal homework...just like you(and I) did as PCT thru-hikers.

This person did offer in context information based on personal AT healthier resupplying. I wasn't avoiding your questions. By expanding your(our) health food buying options to med to large mainstream grocery stores like Food Lion, Krogers, Publix, Wegmans, Hannofords, Stop& Shop, etc you'll(we'll) find more acceptable health food resupply options because all have alternative health food aisles/sections. Seek them out in the AT Thru-hiker Companion as well as the lists so many post on blogs? Work out your personal resupply from that just as you likely did for your PCT thru.

I was not referring to your questions as anal but our sometimes health food diets.

Add Harris-Teeter to Dogwood’s list of regional upscale supermarkets.
    Boone, NC might be worth a side trip from Elk Park, NC. Boone has Earth Fare, Harris-Teeter and a new Publix supermarkets. And some awesome local micro breweries.
    Wayne

There's an app called PCT. Similar to Guthook -- BUT it includes a shopping function. It's got the addresses along the way built in. You point/click to what you want to buy and point/click to where you want it sent. I think it's worth downloading to your phone and checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    There's an app called PCT. Similar to Guthook -- BUT it includes a shopping function. It's got the addresses along the way built in. You point/click to what you want to buy and point/click to where you want it sent. I think it's worth downloading to your phone and checking out.
    OOPZ! Wrong trail! Sorry .. Well, maybe there's a similar one for the AT...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++