WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Dogwood,
    You forgot about 100-150 miles of Colorado.
    Not to mention looking at Guthook’s CDT track in southern Colorado there are multiple alternates through the San Juan mountains.
    The South San Juan Wilderness is high but relatively level and well watered to help acclimating. Resupply is another story. Fire damage is extensive for a day or so after Wolf Creek Pass.
    Crowds? What crowds? People are as scarce as cell signals. 
    Wayne
    I crossed paths with many nobo cdt hikers on my CT hike.
    No, it wasnt crowded, but I bet one day i met a dozen. Other days zero. Even one kid i had seen a YouTube video of.
    The snow may have stacked them up a bit.
    After the "bubble" passes, late june-early july, im sure theres less people. And of course the CT itself is skyrocketing in popularity do the difficulty with permits other places.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-13-2018 at 23:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    That squiggly line called a tilde was used to represent the mathematical symbol for approximately which are two tildes one directly above the other. It was an approximation which is what I recalled from thru-hiking the CDT and CO CDT and confirmed by the CDTS(Continental Divide Trail Society). http://cdtsociety.org/colorado.htm

Even though I thoroughly enjoyed long/longish 68? and 711 mile(I had to just dig up old CDT trail journals) CO CDT hikes and the CDT has many alternates including several in CO where did you get the CO CDT is up to 800 miles? I've never heard the CO CDT segment being that lengthy.
    I have a reference that has it at 740.6. Westcliffe Publishers, copyright 1997 2004 text by Tom Lorang Jones. But, the forward references 759 miles. Old source for sure. It was referenced as the Official Guide by the Continental Divide Trail Alliance. All of that was before they became defunct etc. Now of course there is the Continental Divide Trail Coalition which if you go to their website they do reference 800 miles in Colorado. I doubt if anyone really knows the actual length of the CDT...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Looking at the CDTC website, they have now produced a mapset. These indicate the route in Colorado as being ~736 miles.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Looking at the CDTC website, they have now produced a mapset. These indicate the route in Colorado as being ~736 miles.
    That sounds more reasonable than 800, though still much higher than I had assumed before (my guess would have been maybe 600). I wonder what the total mileage in common with the CT is? I had always thought that to be about 150 or so.... but I guess now that the 70-ish-mile CT-west side along the collegiate's is considered to be the CT as well (maybe it always was?), perhaps this common mileage is now over 200.

I had always been under the assumption that the co-mileage was in the 200 mile range. Although I am unsure what source I had gotten that from. My guess is someplace on the CTF website or one of the guidebooks..
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post

THX Lonehiker. You're jarring some memories.

If taking the CT west option the co-joined CO CDT/CT is over 310 miles...last time I looked. Trails and alternates change and so do their mileages. The co joined CO CDT/CT mileage isn't locked in. Again, the CT and certainly the CDT are trails that have alternates, the west/east options for example. They are not the only alternates. Mags offers several others. These trails are not the AT or having that prevailing AT mentality to thru the AT you have to hike only a set path. It changes the co-joined mileage.

In very approximate numbers working with the Guthook app on my iPhone 5s and guessing the north junction to be the road crossing in Breckinridge and the south end is the labeled CT junction at the head of Elk Creek west of Kite Lake. Clear as mud hey? Bearcreek, the survey person in Durango, knows for sure.
    Approximately 300 CT-CDT shared miles.
    Dogwood: You Said to start the CDT NOBO at Wolf Creek Pass. The CO-NM State line is 100-150 miles south through the South San Juan WA. Granted there are multiple alternatives through southern Colorado. Guthook knows. CalTopo on my big monitor knows better.
    Y’all have fun hiking it. I’m not sure that I will ever get the chance.
    Wayne

Dogwood posted while I was ciphering my guess.
    Wayne

Images

Thanks for all that info DW and Wayne, it all makes sense now, the 310-common-mile thing, I see that really the only places where the CT is not along the CDT is Waterton to Georgis pass (what, maybe 85 miles or so?) , then from maybe 10-15 miles east of Molas pass to Durango (basically the last 85 miles or so of the CT, rough guess from memory). So roughly 85 miles on both ends, ~170 miles, plus common ~310 miles in middle, it all adds up to ~480!

The points I have in Caltopo show segments 1,2 and 3 NOBO on the CDT (in CO) as being roughly 30, 25 and 17 miles respectively, which gets you to US160 at wolf creek pass. So starting at Wolf Creek Pass going NOBO knocks off 72 miles of the CDT, if that matters at all to Coffee.

Here's an overview of the CT/CDT in Colorado, the black dots are CDT waypoints (lots of them, from CDT website), the red, CT (28 of them at section junctions).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank to Wayne also for correcting my fogginess on passes. Hmm, must be Valentine's Day.

You’re welcome.
    I’m amazed that I could help.
    Always glad to help!
    Wayne

That's obvious. You're appreciated. Again, thank you for correcting me.

And let me thank everyone as well... I definitely have some new ideas from this thread! And a lot of time to research/plan. Will post again once I do so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++