WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

never gonna happen

I, too, think the AT should be extended south -- but only 8.8 miles to the Amicalola Visitor Center. I also think the northern terminus should be somewhere other than inside Baxter State Park so AT hikers need trouble the Baxter caretakers no more. A classy, modest terminus monument could be placed at the ATC-owned tentsite near Abol Bridge.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

I think the trail also misses Kentucky, right? Another Appalachian Mountain state.....

Regardless, I do think that extension would be very logical. I have no understanding though of the history or logistics of the idea.... but as Lone Wolf says, never happen (I'm basing that on the article saying it would take congress to get it done).

I think it would be really great in concept to link up the pinhoti to the Florida trail....but that part of course would not be Appalachian....

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I, too, think the AT should be extended south -- but only 8.8 miles to the Amicalola Visitor Center. I also think the northern terminus should be somewhere other than inside Baxter State Park so AT hikers need trouble the Baxter caretakers no more. A classy, modest terminus monument could be placed at the ATC-owned tentsite near Abol Bridge.
    Yeah, if I were being asked I'd say both ends should be a trail head....but that's just my logic. Amialola makes sense on that end to me, and I'd say someplace past Katahdin might make sense for the North..... but what do I know...

Images

First, build the trail and support facilities. THEN think about approaching Congress.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Pinhoti still have some lengthy road sections? Shore that up and I think extending the AT is a fine idea.

Ain't gonna do it officially. Aren't there enough hiking trails already that connect to the AT that aren't being utilized or cared for? What's the constant infatuation with everything AT anyway if you really enjoy hiking? Ah, oh no, AT blasphemy. String up the rope. Light the fire. Aren't their already major threats to the AT?

I agree with Map Man: Start it (or end it for SOBO's) at the Amicalola Visitor Center - most people take the steps to the top anyway so why not give them credit for those 8 miles of approach trail.

Then end it (or begin it for SOBO's) with a nice monument at Abol and cut out the old fogey's at Baxter. If people still want to hike to the top of Katahdin, they can keep right on going.

Last edited by Knee Jerk; 02-12-2018 at 00:22.
    "Never fart in your sleeping bag."

The Pinhoti does have long road-walk stretches in excess of 20 miles. And finding ways to close those stretches is going to be challenging. The problem is that the trail crosses the Great Valley of northwest Georgia, which in the valleys has relatively sparse public land and not much that folks would enjoy backpacking. (But if you want a truly wonderful experience, do the 15-mile stretch from Snake Creek Gap to Dug Gap, west of Dalton, which is lovely and unspoiled...except for the roar of traffic from I-75 which is unceasing).

I like having the termini of the AT off a trailheads. It gives hikers time to decompress a bit when starting or completing the trail, without a zillion folks standing around by their cars, being noisy. I know Katahdin can be busy, but it's only busy with people who work hard to get to the top. They are part of the club, unlike the biker gangs and motorists that often turn places like Newfound Gap into something like Wal-Mart on steroids.

But I do, personally and privately and for more than 40 years, consider the Approach Trail part of the official AT. It's just part of my hiker DNA after much reading about the AT when I was a teenager. "I have to do the Approach Trail" became part of my own creed.

Sure, why not?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    never gonna happen
    This... and it would have taken me four paragraphs to write the sams thing.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

“It’s all the same trail man”~ Janis Joplin

Fake news

If the terminuses or termini...ha!....get moved....make them far easier to access.

Great idea. I am all for it as I am about to head out for my morning AT hike where already in mid Feb I will find throngs of thru hikers making the trail a muddy bog. And let's not forget the trash and TP blooms for a touch of color which of course add to the enjoyment of thru hiker season here in GA. I just can't wait for March & April as it gets so much better. Let Alabama hikers deal with this mess.

Images

Can we put the first night's camping area in Nick Saban's back yard?
    It's all good in the woods.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Not going to happen. Too many roads, private land, and development on the Pinhoti trek.

I wouldn't mind Baxter end being moved to Cadillac Mtn/Champlain Mtn - Acadia NP if an appropriate corridor can be established. Or the supposed Katahdin Woods and Waters if created.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 02-12-2018 at 11:21.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

I think the trail also misses Kentucky, right? Another Appalachian Mountain state.....
    There are no Appalachian Mountains in Kentucky. The foothills of the Appalachian Mountainls aren't even in Kentucky. You've been drinking the media Kool Aid.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    just foolish on both accounts. Baxter is not the enemy - hikers who are self entitled jerks are the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Not going to happen. Too many roads, private land, and development on the Pinhoti trek.

I wouldn't mind Baxter end being moved to Cadillac Mtn/Champlain Mtn - Acadia NP if an appropriate corridor can be established. Or the supposed Katahdin Woods and Waters if created.
    Acadia is not part of the Appalachian chain...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++