Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Might make some like the horses poo bags, lifting the tail opens the bag to catch the business:

I carry a special small container of water for after #2 and I just wash up. There's enough water to wash my bum and my hands, and the squat position leaves very little to wash off anyway.

Ladies really need to hear the pack out the TP message because there are a lot of toilet paper "flowers" all over the trail in the So Cal section and it's obvious that it's not day hikers because of where I've seen it. For pee, use a pee rag. The radioactive sun of the PCT will zap it and kill all the germs.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

^^ Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Sorry, make that an European Spruce, the most common tree in the Alps.
    Cones are smooth.

Regarding germs, we had a very interesting experiment at school 40yrs back:
    The Biology professor setup a bunch of AgarAgar dishes and we were free to stick every nasty thing into them we could find. The nastiest we found was an old drinking straw stuck in a floors gap.
    One mate right coming back from the toilet (and he confirmed he had washed his hands with water and soap) we asked to print his fingers onto the Agar (several others stuck their thumb in there, too)
    Next week we were ready to look at the developed germ cultures:
    The drinking straw hadn't provided any germs.
    Most other dishes were so-so.
    But by far the worst was the one from the toilet-user.
    Obviously the towel the guy had used after washing had brought the worst germs.
    I was told a similar story on a school tour, about 10 yrs ago. Results: swabs from phones and keyboards grew more bacteria in a culture dish than anything else, including toilet seats.

Of late I've seen it reported that blow dryers for hands in restrooms are really good at spreading germs.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Of late I've seen it reported that blow dryers for hands in restrooms are really good at spreading germs.
    Don't forget door handles. Best technique is supposed to be to dry your hands with a paper towel and use it to open the door.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Back on topic, doggy poop sacks were suggested as a good solution to packing out TP at a recent ruck. Get opaque. About 2 cents and 2 grams each. Of course, if you in a place you need to pack out everything, they are made for the job.

Thinking back, the triple-crowner who made the suggestion is a vet. She should know.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Back on topic, doggy poop sacks were suggested as a good solution to packing out TP at a recent ruck. . . they are made for the job. . .
    On that note, they are made for the job of collecting dog poop AND being biodegradable (in most cases). So, those bags are light and cheap, but they are far from smell proof or durable, so make sure you bag your bags if the bags you collect in are poop bags.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

As said, double bag. Don't worry about it. Really isn't as gross as it sounds after a couple of days.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++