WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Backpackinglight has a new podcast as of a couple weeks ago. The first show is about synthetic insulation, germane to the original topic of this thread:

https://backpackinglight.com/podcast...ic-insulation/

I'm about halfway through; it started out impressively detailed, then got into the pros and cons of certain Patagonia gear, incl. the micro puff.

Images

I ditched my down jackets for a Nano Puff a while back. It weighs the same as my down hoody (I don't find i need the hood i have a fleece zpacks hat and a buff... and it weighs the same as said hoody. It does great in the rain, and won't wet out from sweat and it keeps me warm. I snowboard in it, go to work in it, bring it in my pack. Gotta love synthetic. Worth the extra few ounces... don't understand the down fascination. Why have something you can only wear in certain conditions? On the trail or the slopes, a versatile all-in-one is a no-brainer. Got mine on sale for about 100. Love it to death.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
    I ditched my down jackets for a Nano Puff a while back. It weighs the same as my down hoody (I don't find i need the hood i have a fleece zpacks hat and a buff... and it weighs the same as said hoody. It does great in the rain, and won't wet out from sweat and it keeps me warm. I snowboard in it, go to work in it, bring it in my pack. Gotta love synthetic. Worth the extra few ounces... don't understand the down fascination. Why have something you can only wear in certain conditions? On the trail or the slopes, a versatile all-in-one is a no-brainer. Got mine on sale for about 100. Love it to death.
    Listen to the podcast. They do a great job discussing the properties and pros/cons of synthetic, active synthetic, and down.

If I need an insulated jacket to keep me warm when I'm not moving, I will bring a down jacket, because down still offers the most warmth to weight ratio.

On the other hand, if I need a jacket that offers both breathability and insulation while I'm moving, I will take jackets such as Outdoor Research's Cathode or Ascendant hoody.

For me, Patagonia's nano puff line is not as breathable. For the micro puff's weight and cost, I will get a much warmer, lighter, cheaper and more compressible down jacket, such as Montbell Ex Light Down Anorak instead, which is filled with 65g of 900 fill power down, total weight 6.2 oz for $270.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++