WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    any good maps,guide book recommendations?
    thanks
    I personally like Erik the Black's CT Atlas. It is map, guidebook, town maps all in one little book. Served me well as my only planning/hiking resource. I used one of his theoretical hikes for my baseline in resupply planning. To answer your post #33, I don't use an itinerary per se. I simply leave resupply with enough food to get to my next supply point. This is based upon how many miles I think I can average. Then I look out a day or two as I am hiking the section to see where I need to position myself for areas that could be problematic i.e. high passes in the afternoon etc. I never have a specific campsite targeted more than a day or two out and even then it is more like a targeted area. This allows me to adjust my miles as terrain, desire, etc. dictate.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

thanks
    On the Colorado Trail I carry the latest edition of The Colorado Trail Databook while I hike and I do my research on trail towns and other stuff before I go at the pmags Colorado Trail End to End web page at this link:

https://pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Journal Entries

thanks
    For sure the data book put out by the Colorado Trail Association. Fitsin your pocket easy to pull out and refer to.

And probably guthooks app on your phone. Good for checking how far to the next place you're going. Or for determining the right direction to go when there's an intersection thats unmarked. There were a handful of these unmarked intersections that weren't mentioned in the data book . Also a maze of criss-crossing old Jeep roads sometimes.

All you need. Anything else is extra. It might be good to carry some paper maps of some kind, even Eric the blacks Atlas, but you won't ever use them with the map in your phone.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-17-2018 at 23:49.

much thanks!
    Appreciate you all

Mad Respect to MAG's for The Colorado Trail: End to End " Guide.
    I know I've read it before but it is so impressive, covers everything, top shelf read for sure!
    The time and effort, the passion and love to put it together! wow. thanks Mags
    and thank you Map Man for sending me in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksatterwhite View Post
    Coffee,
    I looked at Fireside and The Bivvi. I went with The Bivvi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bivi was very nice and breakfast was great! I’ll be going back soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I might try the Bivvi this year. If I recall, it's a little further from the center of town. For some reason I have no problem walking hundreds of miles on a thru hike but somehow I really like to avoid lodging that's "far" from the center of towns!
    Easy free bus...didn’t walk for than a few steps from bus stop.

thank you Miles 2 Go.
    it would be good to get out, been a few years! all my blood & sweat was left on the A.T.
    Be nice to go west
    You will love it out west. Myself I loved all the hiking above tree line, going through the passes and staying at all the great towns along the trail

do you all do a soft/hard itinerary at all? i could see where the storms could throw a itinerary out the window
    Thanks lonehiker
    Thunderstorms will influence your day to day hiking plans. The storms can either push you to hike faster to clear a pass/high exposed ares. Or the storms can cause you to hold up or stop hiking earlier than planned. I did have a basic day to day plan on miles I wanted to do but was flexible to the conditions of the trail and myself. That being said I still had to have somewhat of a plan to finish in time so I could return back to my job.

Journal Entries

Like said above the storms might disrupt your day they don't have to disrupt your schedule. That is unless you're planning in 25 miles a day everyday. They're so common they should be part of your schedule.....

They usually last an hour or two and then you can get back to hiking. That's if you decide not to hike through them anyway which many do. Personally, I don't like getting all wet if I have a choice. Once the brunt of it passes it may drizzle for a few hours and you may have to hike in that light drizzle, not bad at all.

Morning always comes bright and clear so if you need to make up miles from day before, just get up earlier. You'll also probably have a few really long days that will offset any days that were substantially shortened by rain.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-22-2018 at 01:11.

as long as there's no Bears? i'm going for it...
    :-)

Journal Entries

Smile

as long as there's no Bears? i'm going for it...
    :-)
    There's bears below treeline
    Generally not problem
    But the problem is growing with use
    A hiker last yr had ursack ripped apart section 5.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...ce=47&__tn__=R

There's a few places near roads you are required to hang , I didn't camp near them. I always slept with food. I think mags guide mentions these. Quite honestly I don't think I could have found a suitable tree if I tried anywhere. Most trees have very short branches and many many many of them. Almost anything in a tree would be easy pickings for a bear.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-23-2018 at 03:14.

The CT is much differnt at the start if you begin in Roxborough SP. The rock formations are unusual for a CT thru. If you opt for a Lost Creek Wilderness alternate as Mags suggests it too offers a significantly different CT experience. Paul knows what he's talking about. These alternates are as different as the CT East is from the CT West

I'd recommend taking the opportunity to do some night or early morning hiking in order to deal with afternoon storms, if and when necessary. Prior to the Colorado Trail, I never had done any real hiking after dark and I didn't plan to on the CT either, but a couple of times I had to make miles due to stopping earlier than planned. So I got up very early - in some cases as early as 2:30am - and hiked into the sunrise. It's actually a GREAT time to hike, animals just starting to become active in the pre-dawn hours, and of course you see the sunrise. Colorado mornings were almost always spectacular during my hike. If getting up super early is unattractive, the rains almost always stopped by early evening so some night hiking would have been possible from 8-midnight, then get up at a normal time the next day, etc... just have to be flexible and understand that you can't realistically have a day by day itinerary on a 500 mile hike.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    There's bears below treeline
    Generally not problem
    But the problem is growing with use
    A hiker last yr had ursack ripped apart section 5.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...ce=47&__tn__=R

There's a few places near roads you are required to hang , I didn't camp near them. I always slept with food. I think mags guide mentions these. Quite honestly I don't think I could have found a suitable tree if I tried anywhere. Most trees have very short branches and many many many of them. Almost anything in a tree would be easy pickings for a bear.
    Wow! I'm curious if that Ursack was ripped open by mini-bears (rodents) or an actual black bear. I could absolutely be wrong, but those little buggers are a bigger issue in Colorado than bears. Colorado trees are worthless when it comes to legit bear-hangs though. Short, mostly narrow branches that are within a few feet of a trunk. Don't even bother. It's honestly a waste of time. I highly recommend the OpSak from LokSak. I have found odor-proofing is the best bet for me and how and where I decide to camp for a night.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coloradodrew View Post
    Wow! I'm curious if that Ursack was ripped open by mini-bears (rodents) or an actual black bear.
    Very much a black bear
    While it tied to tree

You saw it?

cameras,phone,go pro?
    what to take and how to stay charged? thank you

cameras,phone,go pro?
    what to take and how to stay charged? thank you
    The 10,000 mah anker is about the lightest option and fairly easy to hit a town every few days..

thanks Saltysack

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++