WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tetons in August or September?

Planning a 3-5+- day hike in Teton National Park. Did 50 miles last summer and want to see more. Would prefer to start at Leigh Lake trail head to Death Canyon trail head, or loop it all the way back to Leigh Lake at the bottom, but anywhere in the Tetons works. I do not have any back country reservations. Planning on showing up at the ranger station a day before and hoping for luck. If no luck, then day hikes and camping in nearby national forests. Maybe a side trip up to Yellowstone? Hiked there last year too. Any time from Aug 1st through mid September works for me. I have a reliable vehicle and can haul myself and gear plus two more with gear if needed. I am in the mid-west, figure about 2 days driving from here.
    "Hell ain't half full. Hike on!" - Chena

Late August, early September is a good time anywhere.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

As someone who is from Wyoming, and someone knows the western ranges fairly well, we chose to do a week-long trip in the Wind River Range starting Labor Day. The weather was absolutely perfect.

The last week or two of August and the first week of September are generally the best times. Good weather (usually, but it is Wyoming), no mosquitoes, and September has fewer people.

After Labor Day. Definitely.
    The NPS will provide a bear can.
    The Teton Crest Trail. Definitely.
    Have fun! Wyoming is habit forming.
    Wayne

Busy time. Try to grab your walk up permit on a non holiday, weekend, thurs, or fri. It really helps to snag assistance by not wasting the Rangers time by showing you came prepared with different itineraries. It shows respect.

Great alternative is gaining a YNP permit at the Grassy Lake/South entrance for the Becher River area and up around Lewis lake.

Bechler River.

That GTNP TH can get packed.

If the car camping campsites are full the Climbers Ranch might have a bunk for you.
    https://americanalpineclub.org/grand...limbers-ranch/
    Signal Mountain Lodge has pay as you go showers and laundry.
    The official Park Service word:
    Small group. Flexible itinerary. No problem. You can ride the tram one way, either up or down, if needed.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Bechler River.
    I did the hike from Old Faithfull into the Tetons via the Bechler River by connection several trails together. It was a great hike with 3-4 impressive waterfalls, each one with a rainbow from the mist.

Same here Slo go en. That's the preferred way I did it too. You get in OF, the Geyser Basin area, "Mr Bubbles", and it's largely downhill. Gotta watch the quality of fords in spring though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Same here Slo go en. That's the preferred way I did it too. You get in OF, the Geyser Basin area, "Mr Bubbles", and it's largely downhill. Gotta watch the quality of fords in spring though.
    I did it the last week of August.

hey Dave,
    I don't usually plan more than about 6 weeks ahead, but I might be interested in going with you. I'd rather fly though. What would be a bigger airport you could pick me up at close to the destination? Will you go through Casper? That has much better prices than Jackson. The other airports are out of your way and bus shuttle from Salt Lake makes it not cheap either. There is a reasonable $30 Greyhound route from Idaho Falls to Jackson if you don't go through Casper.
    How do trails compare out there to the AT? I've hiked a bit in Yellowstone, but of course it ain't mountains like the Tetons look from the highway. I prefer about 12 to 15 miles days on the AT where I've done all but PA and anything north of MA.

Also, if I go to the trouble to fly out, I'd be sure to make it at least a 7 day affair. Only one cheap red eye on Labor Day to Casper with return flight in a week. Several days open for similar price to Idaho Falls in Aug and Sept.
    Edwin
    Last edited by ednotmilkman; 02-18-2018 at 00:12.

If you're interested in doing somwthing in a group because of Grizzly country I am planning a second trip in the northern WRR

I could go through Casper or Billings. 7 Days would be the max I could do but doable. Message me if you like. Las summer our group did 43 miles in 5 days, 4 nights. Elevation bothered me on my second day. 8-10 miles per day. I was a little slower than most in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    If you're interested in doing somwthing in a group because of Grizzly country I am planning a second trip in the northern WRR
    Yea I would be interested in the WRR, where ever that is, haha. Message me if you like.

Yea Grizzly's, but from what I saw in the Tetons there was Plenty of people around us. I would do that solo. But anywhere else would prefer 3-4. We came across a large grizzly in yellowstone, 4 of us, about 30 yards away and 20 miles from any trail head, and it took one look at us and decided to keep moving. Couldn't even get a picture it all happened so fast.

But also it is just fun to get to know people and have fun out on the trail with fellow hikers that are there for similar reasons I am. Just to be there!

After spending a summer in Yellowstone where Grizzly paranoia is ramped, I was surprised at how casual they were about bears in the Tetons, complete with an elaborate outdoor kitchen and casual food storage at the climbers cabin. But that was 30 years ago.

WRR is Wind River Range to the south east of Tetons. It's in a national forest so maybe not as many trails nor rangers supervising you. So Dune and Dave, I'd be happy with either, especially if someone else has local experience so I can just show up with my own pack and then follow directions. I know Sierra Club has done backpack trips in WRR for many years.
    Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by ednotmilkman View Post
    WRR is Wind River Range to the south east of Tetons. It's in a national forest so maybe not as many trails nor rangers supervising you. So Dune and Dave, I'd be happy with either, especially if someone else has local experience so I can just show up with my own pack and then follow directions. I know Sierra Club has done backpack trips in WRR for many years.
    Edwin
    Actually. The Wind River Range spans:
    Multiple National Forests, Wilderness Areas, and an Indian Reservation. Numerous access roads and trailheads. Enough trails to last most of a lifetime. No bearcans required! Self reliance is the rule.
    Don’t tell anyone or the Flatland Rubberneckers will wreck the place.
    Wayne

I was surprised how well the trails were marked in the WWR. Go if you have a chance.
    My mileage suffered for many reasons.

I have been snowed on in Glacier, Yellowstone and the Tetons the first week of September.
    Snow did not stick around just be aware.

The second week of September, this year, my buddies got a 2 foot dump. Weather can change quick in the mountains.

Two foot dump was in the winds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++